The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Sidekick for iPad & iPhone & Android

321 posts / 0 new
Last post
MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

The "SotM Sidekick" app for Android is not made by us. I wasn't aware of it until now, actually. They should have chosen a more distinct name, that's certainly confusing.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Aaron Stark

Do you have the name trademarked?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We're going to look into it.

In other news, we've just submitted an update for Sentinels Sidekick that fixes a few problems people have found with 1.3 around the randomizer and promo cards. Plus I was able to sneak in a minor feature or two. It doesn't have the big awesome thing I've been hinting about.. but that will come soon, I hope!

The 1.4 update should be available in about a week, pending Apple's review process.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Version 1.4 is now available! https://itunes.apple.com/app/sentinels-sidekick-track-hitpoints/id525436...

What's new:

- Promo cards and decks can now be selected individually in case you don’t have them all... yet!
- Randomize individual card selections - replace just the villain or one hero, or have Sidekick help you choose the Ennead at random.
- Fixed problems with the randomizer, so duplicate versions of the same hero do not get picked. Sorry Legacy and Wraith, you don’t get bonus chances anymore!
- Giant Mutated Specimens have been taken down a notch and now have the correct HP.
- Vengeful Baron Blade now keeps his Mobile Defense Platform at home where it belongs.

Happy Thoughts

Beautiful! Thanks so much for the great app and the updates!

ketigid

Android release, please?

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

Since Android came up, does anybody know of a randomizer for SotM that's available for Android and up to date. I only see one on the marketplace and it was last updated over a year ago.

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Drakossozh

Not exactly an app, but you can find one online that works even without an internet access here: http://www.fecundity.com/pmagnus/sentinels/

Cosmonaut Zero
Cosmonaut Zero's picture

Thanks! I will totally use this. b^_^

This is a Greater than Games forum signature virus. Copy this text, add one to the generation, and replace your signature with this one so that this may take over the multiverse of forum signatures.
Generation: 1

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Mine is a webapp so can be used on Android too, although mine requires internet connectivity: www.spiffworld.com/sotm/randomizer.cfm.  Mine uses the official art, but P.D. Magnus' one is very tight.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Kharnel
Kharnel's picture

Spiff wrote:

Mine is a webapp so can be used on Android too, although mine requires internet connectivity: www.spiffworld.com/sotm/randomizer.cfm.  Mine uses the official art, but P.D. Magnus' one is very tight.

I definitely recommend Spiff's for use on Android. Just customize which cards you own and bookmark the resulting page and you're ready to roll! . . . You know, after you randomize away from Rook City a few times.

Iron Legacy did nothing wrong.

Derick

Used the Ipad app today to do a solo play through.  I love it.  It was easy to navigate and worked really well.  I just hope at some point in the future you can get permission to use the official artwork.  It'll help with identification and just make the app look that much better.

Happy Thoughts

I'm flexing the muscles of the custom card capability, which by the way is fantastic. But we all knew that. :)

Is it possible to have custom cards use (H) as their maximum hit points in the same way that Omnitron's S-84 Automation Drone does? I can manually adjust the custom card's hit points on placement, but it's not as elegant.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

It doesn't look like that's possible for custom cards at the moment. I'll log that as a feature to add for the future, though.

Happy Thoughts

Ah, thanks for checking that. I had hoped there might be a magic word to use since the functionality is there for the hard-coded ones. But, really, it's not even something I'd ask to be added since it's such a crazily rare circumstance that would call for it.

Nod_Hero
Nod_Hero's picture

Great app!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Yeah, supporting the (H) mechanic in Sidekick is already a bit of a "hack" because it didn't apply to any target health values until Enhanced Edition (well after the app was developed).

There are some other new things coming to Sidekick soon, along with some other news you may find interesting: http://handelabra.com/blog/2013/7/15/handelabra-rebirth

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

Yeah, supporting the (H) mechanic in Sidekick is already a bit of a "hack" because it didn't apply to any target health values until Enhanced Edition (well after the app was developed).There are some other new things coming to Sidekick soon, along with some other news you may find interesting: http://handelabra.com/blog/2013/7/15/handelabra-rebirth

You have my attention. Do go on...

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

huffn
huffn's picture
Playtester

I'm totally onboard of your new project.  Count me in!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Woohoo! Greatly looking forward to it! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Sounds like I need to get a iPad or Android tablet in spring of 2014.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Coincidentally, I'm planning an Android tablet purchase very soon - been waiting for the new Nexus 7 to come out so I can get the older version for cheap. ;)

So yeah. Yay!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

While we're working on the real digital version of Sentinels, we haven't forgotten about Sidekick!

We're happy to announce that Sentinels Sidekick 2.0 will be available this week, and is now an officially licensed “Sentinels of the Multiverse” Product. The most important new feature is that Sidekick now has official game artwork throughout!

Check out all the information here: http://handelabra.com/blog/2013/8/5/sentinels-sidekick-20-is-coming-to-g...

And because we love you, here's a GTG Forum exclusive screenshot! The setup might look familiar to some forum readers =)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

WOW! Thats all I have to say.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Lookin' good

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Sarpathian
Sarpathian's picture

Very nice

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hobos have been living off of pigeon jerky for years! - Olly

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Woohoo! laugh Looking great!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Are the minions/smaller targets going to get art too, or just the heroes and villains and evironment?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

In the 2.0 update, only the "character" minions (Ennead and Operative) have their own artwork.

We're gauging interest on adding artwork for all of the target cards in the game. So if you would be interested in that, let us know =)

ax0r
Playtester

Love to hear about the update, looking forward to it.

Watching the video, I immediately got a bad taste in my mouth about the "notes" feature. Sure, it's infinitely flexible, but typing on an i-device is a bit painful sometimes. Fortunately, immediately after the bad taste, I got a good idea. While putting in buttons for every possible effect and interaction is a bit rediculous, a versatile solution would be to have buttons for "verbs", and you can build sentences easily.

Something like this - you hit a button "Notes" next to a character or card. Up pops some options "Damage Dealt", "Damage Received", "Start of turn, End of turn". Choose Damage Received, and you've got new choices - "+1", "-1", "Irreducible", "Redirected", "Immune". Choose one of these, and you've now got some new options - "Damage type: Fire", etc.

It wouldn't take that much testing to fill out your verb list and be able to formulate pretty much any relevant note you might want with just a few taps. You could of course leave a free-text entry option for edge cases or any other potential issue. A slick GUI for this would make it pretty nice to use

pyrofrog
pyrofrog's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

We're gauging interest on adding artwork for all of the target cards in the game. So if you would be interested in that, let us know =)

yes please!! I love the idea of swiftbot, etc having art on them.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

MigrantP wrote:

VERY interested!!

just letting you know. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

ax0r: I realize the notes are a bit limited. However, it was a very quick thing to implement and has some usefulness if you use shorthand. We've actually done some design work around adding effect tracking to the app, but the amount of effort needed to build a great user experience and robust plumbing for it is significant. 

When you're running a company, you have to make decisions about cost/benefit, and so far it hasn't been the right decision to build that feature. If more people buy Sidekick, that would probably change!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Also we posted a quick update on pricing information for Sentinels Sidekick 2.0. Most importantly, it's a free update, not a new app that you have to pay for again!

http://handelabra.com/blog/2013/8/13/pricing-information-for-sentinels-sidekick-20

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Sentinels Sidekick 2.0 is now available! Existing owners can update, or you can get it for the first time here:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/sentinels-sidekick-track-hitpoints/id525436193?mt=8

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Updated this morning. My iPhone screen does no justice. This is great. The artwork has really put this app on a new level. 

The only thing that I would say is, the artwork in the app is so good, we are gonna need it for all the cards. I had a free update, but I would most certainly pay a bundled cost for the high res pics and art for the other minor cards. 

Fantastic update. Great app. Love it. 

tommy.yeoh

A quick feedback on notes.

It is possible to show some icon to signify which character/target has "notes" underneath them?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Good idea, tommy.yeoh. We'll see if we can get something like that into an update soon.

If anyone wants a chance for a promo code, retweet the 1000th tweet by @Handelabra here: https://twitter.com/handelabra/status/368027483192705024

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Looks wonderful! You can add me to the "I'd love art for all targets" camp. :)

Just a quick bit of feedback though, I don't see art for The Matriarch. All the other villains look awesome, but she's all plain and texty. :(

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Martinh

Love the app. Even better with the graphics. 

One suggestion two of my fellow players made was to move the + and - keys to either side of the HPs when the cards are in landscape. It would make them easier to hit and eliminate those times when you accidentally tap the wrong one

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Silverleaf: It seems a couple of bits and pieces are missing from the artwork. Matriarch on iPhone is one. Can you catch them all? =) we're putting together a quick update that will fix them all.

Martinh: interesting idea. We're currently using the standard stepper control for iOS, but we'll consider that suggestion.

If anyone is at GenCon tomorrow or Saturday, find Jeremy at the GTG booth for a peek at what is in 2.0.1 =)

TheCalebG

MigrantP wrote:

Also we posted a quick update on pricing information for Sentinels Sidekick 2.0. Most importantly, it's a free update, not a new app that you have to pay for again!http://handelabra.com/blog/2013/8/13/pricing-information-for-sentinels-s...

Hey, great update to the app! I've been using it for some time now, and I like it even more now. I absolutely vote for adding the additional artwork for the other cards. 

I l ike the extra touch of the environment artwork being added into the background. It makes for a nice expereince.

And I cannot wait for the actual game app!

Edit: I was using the "Randomize" button just to see what came up. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a trend of pulling up the same options several times in a row. For example, I randomized 10 games and got Baron Blade in 5 of them. Does it help to close the app down completely before randomizing again? Of course, I understand that "random" does mean "random", and probability dicates that the same option could come up several times in a row. I'm just curious, especially with it being a new release to the app. I want to pass on any and all feedback to you guys in an effor to keep this the best possible product. Thanks again for putting this together.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Random is random. The odds of seeing 5 Baron Blade in a row is the same as the odds of any other sequence, but we humans notice the Baron Blades.

I was quite amused when Apple added a feature to make iTunes "more random" by actually reducing the randomness of the distribution to minimize repeated artists/songs.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always welcome =)

TheCalebG

I actually ran the app through 30 gamess and charted the results. Very even distribution of Environments and Vilains (only skipped over a vew Villains) and a every Hero made an apperance (not all the alternates, though).

MIgrantP is totally right, of course. It's really easy to latch onto one or two easy to observe trends and skew a casual observation. It's funny to cycle through the games and see one Hero pop up over and over, then phase out. I suppose it could lead to a story factor...

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Happy to have someone check my work =)

Nod_Hero
Nod_Hero's picture

MigrantP wrote:

Letting.You.Know.

This update is the one thing I wished Sidekick had, art, and now I'm a happy app user! So glad you got "official" association!

Happy Thoughts

Regarding minion artwork, I think it would be super neat but I also wouldn't want it delaying the full-game app in development. I haven't been able to think straight since that was announced. (okay, maybe that's a pre-existing condition)

On the notes thing, I found it a bit cumbersome on my iPad but it is better than no option, so I do want to thank you for adding that feature. As far as cost/benefit for making a more robust status tracking system, I can't speak for anyone else but I know that if that were a Kickstarter project I'd totally donate to get an upgrade. Honestly, I feel like I'm stealing with as much utility as I've gotten for my 99 cents.

I also noticed that the (H) is supported for custom cards now. I feel a bit guilty about bringing it up, I hope it wasn't too much work! In any case, thanks!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Sentinels Sidekick 2.0.1 should be available in the App Store as a free update any time now (it just got through review this afternoon). It fixes a few bugs, but most importantly it makes Notes super useful! Observe:

In other news, we did an interview with Pocket Tactics about the upcoming digital conversion of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Check it out!

huffn
huffn's picture
Playtester

I really liked that interview.  Thanks for keeping us all in the loop!

Aaron Stark

Awesome stuff.  The one thing I think could make this feature better is a way to add universal modifiers, such as all environment targets or all of a single type of damage.  This coud work by adding the notes to an area off the cards, if that's even possible.

Pages