The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Definitive Edition

116 posts / 0 new
Last post
fjur
fjur's picture

The Legacy First Appearance Variant seems pretty potent, although I suppose Legacy's base Powers always are.

This space was intentionally left blank.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Does anyone have any examples of why we can't just replace old decks with new decks, as they come out?

Specific examples? No. But generally, I think it would be a safe assumption to make that the primary concern would be balance of old decks within the new ecosystem. Players are free to use their games however they want as always, but the quality of your experience will surely deviate from what is intended.

DireAvenger20
DireAvenger20's picture
Playtester

To continue on Foote's point, Christopher mentioned in the Letters Page Podcast that heroes are generally stronger and villains are generally more dangerous. So generally the speed of the game is faster. So old decks might not be able to keep up with the faster pace. So if you play with some old decks against some new decks, the old decks will feel much weaker.

Godai
Godai's picture

Old decks feeling "weaker" is a fine example of why you might not want to mix editions. But as long as we go into it knowing that might be the case, at the moment I'm fine with that risk. 

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

Did they show off the legacy first apperance varient somewhere? I must have missed it

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

If I have to guess, I would say that Bunker's Ordinance works like the Omni-Cannon, but more generalized. He discards cards and places them under his big guns, and then returns them to the trash to use his big guns. 

fjur
fjur's picture

Cult of Gloom, they shared this Google Drive folder of preview material.

FrivYeti, I thought the exact same thing.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, it makes sense that Bunker's new mechanic would be an extension of how the Omni-Cannon works. I am just really curious how they will make that mechanic unique to his deck. Expatriette's mechanic involves playing face up cards next to cards with powers on them, to enhance the effect of each power. The Idealist has a core mechanic where you load up powers with discarded face-down cards, and the power's potency increases based on the number of cards. So, for the new Bunker...does he discard cards face-down under powers, and the power changes in character the more cards it's charged with? Do his powers change based on the keywords of cards they consume? Does he get to grab Villain cards or other hero cards from play to change his powers' effects?

Wild speculation about these mechanics is how I show my excitement! I'm looking forward to seeing for myself how he plays. Getting a new spin on the older heroes is one of the things I find exciting about the new edition.

fjur
fjur's picture

I'm guessing that, unlike Expatriette and The Idealist, Bunker will load his Cards directly from hand to under his Ordinances, without playing them. This would differentiate him from the former two, and keep in line with Omni-Cannon.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The more previews that we get to see on the Letters Page server, the more incredibly excited I am for how awesome all the new art, flavor text, and mechanics are. :D

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

It's very likely that mechanics for future decks will change, while the theme will try and stay the same.  So, while Expatriette currently has ammo cards and such, who can say what her future holds?

As a playtester, I can say I have really enjoyed the improvements they have made to the game.  Characters I didn't enjoy playing in EE (Bunker and Fanatic) are now fun thanks to their mechanics changes.  It is very far from a reprint of EE with new art.  I am really looking forward to how they help other less-played heroes and Setback.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

The new art and mechanics are all super exciting-looking. I am not sad they are making a Definitive Edition.

... my only thought of sadness is that, while this will be pretty cool, I feel the opportunity cost of tying Adam and Christopher up for 6 years making this, instead of making an entirely new never-before-seen game that plays in the Sentinels Comics world in a new exciting entirely different way. Will we have to wait until 2027 before they work on the new exciting project? Like, for example, making Prime War work?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Prime War was not their game, it was being worked on by Lore Forge Games. C&A never would have picked it up.

I'm sure if they have a good idea for a new game, they'll find time to work on it. And there's no guarantee it would be any good.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

fjur
fjur's picture

Hmm, Omnitron's robots "Exterminate" now . . . Now where have I seen that before?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What‽ There are cultural references in Sentinels of the Multiverse‽‽‽ :-o 

;-) 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Pages