The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Spirit Island: The Jagged Earth wishlist and discussion

103 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Okay, cool, will do :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

I've posted Finder of the Hidden Paths today -- the board (front and back) and the cards (front only; back still to come).  The link is below, but there's one problem/issue -- I couldn't see any write up on how the "Isolate" mechanic works, which will make playing Finder a little limited.  Any playtesters/others out there who could share the details on "Isolate"?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kT1HZ7miIV8wUEpZxC8pdA0RthI9N6j5

I'm fine with sharing this.  

Isolate is a new concept that some of the Jagged Earth powers and a few spirits (like Finder) utilize.

Essentially, it seals off a land and make it inaccessible.  Here are the pertinent bits:

1. Invaders skip all explore actions in Isolated lands (they do not explore into them, and they are not a source of explorers)

2. For invader pieces, Isolated lands are not considered adjacent to anything... unless you want them to be. So they can't be gathered/pushed unless you allow it. 

3. Sorry, but Isolate doesn't prevent blight from cascading. 

Would Invaders explore in an Isolated land that already contained buildings? Asking for clarity.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Full MSRP is likely going to be $79.95 like it is for the core set and the promo pack for this set bought afterwards will at least be $10.   Not including anything about shipping but you’re paying $59 for $90+ worth of content.   Add on that with the rate of sales of the main game this guarantees you a copy of the expansion and promos when it’s released.  

Indeed, but I do have to include the shipping and taxes in that calculation as they are direct costs associated with the purchase. The base game over here is currently £58 retail including taxes and shipping but it's been cheaper, so regardless of MSRP that's the ballpark figure of acquiring the expansion at retail. Compare that to the £72 Jagged Earth KS will cost with taxes and shipping and it's tight with the difference between the two being roughly what it would cost to acquire the promos. Previously, GTG KS campaigns were a no-brainer because all the freebies meant that it was definitely a good deal even with as much as $50 shipping added on. This is the first one where backing is not enticing beyond being able to guarantee a copy and not having the hassle of tracking down the promo pack. Which, like I said, I'm happy to pay up front for, I just can't reasonably tell anybody else what a great deal they will be getting.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Unless I’m completely misreading this it still looks like with the new promo pack included you still come out ahead and are guaranteed a copy.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

We may also have something happen like with the core game, but the currently planned MSRP, based on their GFE from their manufacturer, is $59.95. That said, originally planned MSRP for Spirit Island itself was $49.95 and things had to change about 3-4 months out from release.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

Braithwhite wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

I've posted Finder of the Hidden Paths today -- the board (front and back) and the cards (front only; back still to come).  The link is below, but there's one problem/issue -- I couldn't see any write up on how the "Isolate" mechanic works, which will make playing Finder a little limited.  Any playtesters/others out there who could share the details on "Isolate"?

Isolate is a new concept that some of the Jagged Earth powers and a few spirits (like Finder) utilize.

Essentially, it seals off a land and make it inaccessible.  Here are the pertinent bits:

1. Invaders skip all explore actions in Isolated lands (they do not explore into them, and they are not a source of explorers)

2. For invader pieces, Isolated lands are not considered adjacent to anything... unless you want them to be. So they can't be gathered/pushed unless you allow it. 

Would Invaders explore in an Isolated land that already contained buildings? Asking for clarity.

Nope.  They skip all explore actions, including those that would happen internally due to buildings. A better way to think of it is that for the purposes of the Explore action, that land is removed from the game entirely. 

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Good to know. That is not how I would have carried it out.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

The promo pack has 2 spirits, 1 Adversary and 2 Scenarios, and 9 extra cards. I'm guessing it will be more than $10 at retail. It's still probably borderline costwise if you're in the UK. Would the balance shift if you also want the insert or the tokens?

morph147

So based off the names so far, which of the 12 new spirits are you most interested in and wanting GTG to talk about some more? 

Only asking names since hopefully there will be more discussion on what they do based off each of the updates during the kickstarter.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

carnilius
Playtester

I'm most excited about Aspects, bringing new life into existing Spirits.  Anyone else notice that the Aspects in the Kickstarter image are paired with the wrong spirits (swapped)?  I wonder if that was intentional.

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

So based off the names so far, which of the 12 new spirits are you most interested in and wanting GTG to talk about some more?

Fractured Days Split the Sky. The name suggests some kind of temporal shenanigans to me, which I find rather intriguing. 

Mezike
Mezike's picture

dpt wrote:

The promo pack has 2 spirits, 1 Adversary and 2 Scenarios, and 9 extra cards. I'm guessing it will be more than $10 at retail. It's still probably borderline costwise if you're in the UK. Would the balance shift if you also want the insert or the tokens?

I don’t need persuading dude, I’ve already backed! I’m just saying that in the past I too used to be a GTG flag waver because the added value was always so awesome that it was crazy to complain about MSRP pricing when the free stuff was worth as much or more than the game itself. This one though there is no tangible benefit unless you want to argue pennies. Again, not complaining just pointing it out, my money is in on this regardless but I can see why people are salty about the price.

robb8888

Braithwhite wrote:

jffdougan wrote:

Braithwhite wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

Nope.  They skip all explore actions, including those that would happen internally due to buildings. A better way to think of it is that for the purposes of the Explore action, that land is removed from the game entirely. 

Just to make sure I understand it correctly, does the "not adjacent" part also mean that towns/cities in Isolated lands aren't considered "sources" of Explorers?   In other words, if the Invaders would ordinarily explore into a certain land because it's adjacent to a town (which is the only "source" of explorers), but the land where the town is located is Isolated, the Explore action wouldn't occur, because the town is no longer considered "adjacent" to the target land for the Explore action?

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Yes, that is correct. If you isolate a coastal land, it doesn’t count as coastal for invader actions as its not adjacent to the ocean anymore

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

robb8888 wrote:

Just to make sure I understand it correctly, does the "not adjacent" part also mean that towns/cities in Isolated lands aren't considered "sources" of Explorers?   In other words, if the Invaders would ordinarily explore into a certain land because it's adjacent to a town (which is the only "source" of explorers), but the land where the town is located is Isolated, the Explore action wouldn't occur, because the town is no longer considered "adjacent" to the target land for the Explore action?

Fair enough!  Let me see if I can clarify.

1. Invaders skip all explore actions in isolated lands. So regardless of how many towns or cities are adjacent to the isolated land (or in the isolated land), there is no explore into an isolated land. 

2. Isolated lands are not adjacent. So lands next to an Isolated land would not gain explorers IF the isolated land was the only source.  In practical terms, Towns/cities inside isolated lands are not sources of invaders. 

3. Ocean creates a LOT of edge cases, but IF the Ocean is in play, you can shut down an entire coastal explore by isolating the Ocean (since the ocean is a source of invaders). It's harder to pull off that you mmight think, since while you ARE shutting down the ocean as a source of invaders, towns/cities adjacent (or in) a given coastal land are still sources of explorers.

4. Like a lot of token-based powers, Isolate tends to get WAY stronger when you can use it on more than one thing in a given turn. Once you can reliably isolate 2-3 lands on a given board, you start seeing a LOT more impact!  

Lorkenpeist
Lorkenpeist's picture
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:
4. Like a lot of token-based powers, Isolate tends to get WAY stronger when you can use it on more than one thing in a given turn. Once you can reliably isolate 2-3 lands on a given board, you start seeing a LOT more impact!  

I imagine it would be particularly useful for preventing builds vs. England!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I've added enough to my pledge to get the Promo Pack set 1.  That leaves the errata pack as the only thing I'll need (though the Broken Token insert is a consideration).  Any chance we can get the errata pack along with the rest?  I understood the idea was to give it away at shipping cost anyway, but I'd happily chuck a buck into the pot to include it all in one.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

morph147

So Isolate only stops the explore action, not the build and ravage steps?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

So Isolate only stops the explore action, not the build and ravage steps?

yes. but it's very useful if you can get one source on a board, then isoalte it and no explore.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

We're getting pretty deep in the weeds here on Isolate...

Just to make sure everyone's on the same page, one thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned yet is that Isolate only lasts for the current turn.

And the rules are also still subject to tweaking.

Braithwhite wrote:
2. Isolated lands are not adjacent. So lands next to an Isolated land would not gain explorers IF the isolated land was the only source.  In practical terms, Towns/cities inside isolated lands are not sources of invaders.
To be slightly more precise, Isolated lands are not adjacent for Invaders... unless you want them to be. So if some effect would let you get a troublesome Town out of a land, you can still allow it if you want to.

Braithwhite wrote:
3. Ocean creates a LOT of edge cases, but IF the Ocean is in play, you can shut down an entire coastal explore by isolating the Ocean (since the ocean is a source of invaders).
Yes, but the relevant lands are still Coastal (eg, for targeting other powers).
robb8888

My head is ringing a little from trying to read back and forth.  If I'm reading this correctly, the only way to get the Broken Token insert is to pledge Defender of the Island ($185) or more?  I thought I saw some comment somewhere indicating that you could add extra to a "base level" order to get the insert -- did I misread that somewhere?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Hey, can I get Eric's T-Shirt in that Designer Diary?!?

(I suppose I could get it printed myself. But it feels less official that way.)

carnilius
Playtester

robb8888 wrote:

My head is ringing a little from trying to read back and forth.  If I'm reading this correctly, the only way to get the Broken Token insert is to pledge Defender of the Island ($185) or more?  I thought I saw some comment somewhere indicating that you could add extra to a "base level" order to get the insert -- did I misread that somewhere?

Look towards the bottom of the Campaign page under "Available Add-ons".  It's available as an add-on for $39.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:
Look towards the bottom of the Campaign page under "Available Add-ons".  It's available as an add-on for $39.

To be explicit, just add $39 to your pledge amount, and you'll be able to get it.
TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That's what I plan on doing! :D

Microsillon

morph147 wrote:

Based on the names, Fractured Days and Mist are my two that i'm most curious about. :)

morph147

Have they said yet when the broken token insert will be available? Is this something that wwill be available before the Kickstarter ships or not? This knowledge is slightly influential to my decision of getting the insert now or later.

artificemaryam
Playtester

For most interested, I have to go with Shifting Memory of Ages.What does something with that kind of name actually /do/?

Dr. Kaylo Epsilon
Dr. Kaylo Epsilon's picture

artificemaryam wrote:

Shifting Memory of Ages.What does something with that kind of name actually /do/?

Cause strife... "We have always been at war with Eurasia"

Gather invaders to badlands... "Ahh, remember the good old days back in yonder mountains? Wonder why we ever left, let's go back!"

Gather explorers to lands with buildings... "Ahh, remember the good old days back in town? We thought the grass would be greener over here, but, well... let's go home."

Downgrade cities to settlements... "Huh. Guess nobody remembered it was time to repair the roofs."

Isolate lands... "What do you mean 'How do you get to Atlantis?'? It's just a myth, there's no such place."

Convert invaders to dahan... "We've always respected the land."

Let R be the set containing of all sets which do not contain themselves. Is R contained in R?

morph147

Dr. Kaylo Epsilon wrote:

Convert invaders to dahan... "We've always respected the land."

This was always something that bugged me about the dahan in this game. after each turn, time passes, but we are ment to believe the dahan do not have babies like the invaders?  There are a lot of games that I play that I just wish the dahan were a bigger presence on the board instead of just there to be there.

AdamH

Quick question: the kickstarter says that the estimate arrival date is May 2020 -- the only reason I'm not backing the kickstarter is because I'm thinking that I can get it faster with some other method.

So will I really have to wait a year and half to get my hands on this? And if so, will I have some way of knowing that the kickstarter will be the soonest I can have it?

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

For The Jagged Earth, yes the Kickstarter delivery (whether ahead of or behind the estimated date) will be the soonest it can arrive. There's a significant quantity of new art to have commissioned, iterated, and finalized -- I think my estimate someplace else was in the vicinity of 100-120 new pieces, or roughly the equivalent of a non-Core Magic set if I've tracked numbers properly. That take time, even while the playtesters will be working on iterating the mechanical parts of the game up until the deadline to get things to the printers. And it looks like they're on track for a first print run in the vicinity of 10k copies, which will take a not-insignificant amount of time (including the fact that I therefore suspect they'll have to re-cast the molds for the Invader pieces at least one more time before the expansion finishes printing). That print run estimate is based on the current number of backers and the guideline of printing about 2x what gets ordered via KS, with economies of scale kicking in a 1000, 2500, 5000, and 10k. 

Does that help you decide?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
Have they said yet when the broken token insert will be available? Is this something that wwill be available before the Kickstarter ships or not? This knowledge is slightly influential to my decision of getting the insert now or later.
When the Kickstarter ships, see the KS update.

EDIT: Oops, the answer I was looking for isn't actually there. They explained in comments somewhere that Broken Token wants to be sure that their insert fits the actually released content, so won't be finalising it until they get sent the final production proofs. So, not available until the actual KS release.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
This was always something that bugged me about the dahan in this game. after each turn, time passes, but we are ment to believe the dahan do not have babies like the invaders?  There are a lot of games that I play that I just wish the dahan were a bigger presence on the board instead of just there to be there.

This is something that the Event deck from Branch & Claw really helps with: it gives a natural (and realistically random) growth of the Dahan. Also bear in mind that the Invaders are growing by immigration, not by population growth: each turn is meant to be 2-3 years, I believe, not long enough for population growth to be that large.

I'm also looking forward to a future Dahan-centric expansion, which Eric has said he wants to do.

Skepsis
Playtester

robb8888 wrote:
AdamH wrote:

I think I could have made proxies from what'sin the video. I think there was only one power card in the shot of six that I couldn't see all of the elements of but it may be in some other shot (or you may be able to guess)

I will not be able to make proxies at this time. I have way too many other things to do that are a lot more important, and it's hard for me to get any games to the table, let alone Spirit Island which is a longer commitment.

Posting proxies of the GenCon playtest spirits was OK with GTG, so since these spirits are still "in beta," so to speak, I'm assuming that posting proxies of the new spirits is OK as well.  I've started the Kickstarter Proxy Project, in which I'll be making/posting proxies of the two newly revealed Spirits (Finder of the Hidden Paths and Many Minds Move as One). 

I had the same idea and already made a PnP for Many Minds Move as One yesterday.  I haven't had time to clean up the board though.

Here's the board: https://docdro.id/YX4pJls

Here's the cards: https://docdro.id/tQLLuLn

I assume this is fine to post as well.  It's from the YouTube previews.

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Skepsis wrote:

I had the same idea and already made a PnP for Many Minds Move as One yesterday.  I haven't had time to clean up the board though.

Anything that has entered the public eye is fine to recreate. So basically anything that is now circulating youtube via the reviewers, on the kickstarter, or that we've released at a convention (like Trickster and Plague). If you played a game with a tester at a FLGS (or something similar), and got to try something that we haven't posted yet, I'd prefer that you not recreate it. 

Skepsis
Playtester

Braithwhite wrote:

Skepsis wrote:

Anything that has entered the public eye is fine to recreate. So basically anything that is now circulating youtube via the reviewers, on the kickstarter, or that we've released at a convention (like Trickster and Plague). If you played a game with a tester at a FLGS (or something similar), and got to try something that we haven't posted yet, I'd prefer that you not recreate it. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  I haven't had the pirvelage of play testing anything so that makes it easy!

Braithwhite
Braithwhite's picture
AdminPlaytester

Skepsis wrote:

Braithwhite wrote:

Skepsis wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up.  I haven't had the pirvelage of play testing anything so that makes it easy!

If you want to change that, send me a DM. I'm always looking for people who are passionate about testing, and will be making a general call for new testers on monday!

robb8888

Skepsis wrote:

These look great -- how did you get the typefaces so cleaned up?  I had to use substitute fonts for mine.   One note, though -- on your cards, it looks like you left out "Guide the Way on Feathered Wings"; there's a duplicate "Pursue With Scratches, Pecks and Stings" in its place.

morph147

Braithwhite wrote:

Skepsis wrote:

Wait what are the set up conditions?

artificemaryam
Playtester

For Many Minds Move As One, the starting position is just one presence on your starting board in a land that has a Beast. 

Was able to find that, just can't locate the Finder of Paths Unseen starting placement.

morph147

artificemaryam wrote:

For Many Minds Move As One, the starting position is just one presence on your starting board in a land that has a Beast. 

Was able to find that, just can't locate the Finder of Paths Unseen starting placement.

Finder's is in the  google drive that has been shared.

AdamH

jffdougan wrote:

For The Jagged Earth, yes the Kickstarter delivery (whether ahead of or behind the estimated date) will be the soonest it can arrive. 

Yes, it helps me decide. Of course I'm going to back the kickstarter.

I'll be a little sad that I will have to wait so long to get it but oh well. It makes me a bit more enthusiastic to proxy things that I see. I just have playtesting experience for other games and artwork hasn't taken that long (though it's about a third of what you're asking for and it goes out to many different artists).

morph147

AdamH wrote:

jffdougan wrote:

For The Jagged Earth, yes the Kickstarter delivery (whether ahead of or behind the estimated date) will be the soonest it can arrive. 

I'll be a little sad that I will have to wait so long to get it but oh well. It makes me a bit more enthusiastic to proxy things that I see. I just have playtesting experience for other games and artwork hasn't taken that long (though it's about a third of what you're asking for and it goes out to many different artists).

its going out to many different artists as well. If I recall correctly, I want to say the hold up on the last kickstarter for spirit island was mainly the art as well and people not making deadlines. Hopefully they got it down much better now, or they just make Adam work harder.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

AdamH wrote:

jffdougan wrote:

its going out to many different artists as well. If I recall correctly, I want to say the hold up on the last kickstarter for spirit island was mainly the art as well and people not making deadlines. Hopefully they got it down much better now, or they just make Adam work harder.

There are roughtly a dozen artists credited in the core rulebook, not counting any in-house graphic design contributions from (e.g.) Jen or Rae. I also recall there being more iterations on prototyping the invader miniatures that originally anticipated.

As for playtesting experience, Braithwhite (the new playtest manager) has said - I think elsewhere in this thread - that he'll be putting out a general call for playtesters early next week.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I have had little time to playtest this expansion, but i do remember a game where i tried Fractured Days Split the Sky. I like how the theme of the spirit translated in mechanics. Although i must admit the cards felt powerful but harder to use than most spirits. You guys should have a treat when this one is revealed.

morph147

I keep reading the many minds move as one and I am lost on this spirit is suppose to work

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:
I keep reading the many minds move as one and I am lost on this spirit is suppose to work
Do you have a specific question?
robb8888

Morph147,

I've posted new "cleaned-up" print-and-play versions of all of the new spirits, and to keep this thread a little cleaner, have put links to all of them in a new thread: 

https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/print-and-play-new-spirits-jagged-earthkickstartergencon-13414

They're now all PDFs posted on DocDroid, so I've taken down the Google Drive folder where the old versions were hosted.  

robb8888

Skepsis wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

AdamH wrote:

I think I could have made proxies from what'sin the video. I think there was only one power card in the shot of six that I couldn't see all of the elements of but it may be in some other shot (or you may be able to guess)

I will not be able to make proxies at this time. I have way too many other things to do that are a lot more important, and it's hard for me to get any games to the table, let alone Spirit Island which is a longer commitment.

Posting proxies of the GenCon playtest spirits was OK with GTG, so since these spirits are still "in beta," so to speak, I'm assuming that posting proxies of the new spirits is OK as well.  I've started the Kickstarter Proxy Project, in which I'll be making/posting proxies of the two newly revealed Spirits (Finder of the Hidden Paths and Many Minds Move as One). 

Note:  The Google Drive link I posted above will no longer work.  I made "cleaned-up" and updated PDF versions of all of the new spirits (Vengeance-Plague, Grinning Trickster, Finder, and Many Minds), and posted them on DocDroid.  The links are all in a new thread:  https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/print-and-play-new-spirits-jagged-earthkickstartergencon-13414

Pages