The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels Gloomhaven, please

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Sentinels Gloomhaven, please

GTG, please consider this an official request for a Gloomhaven type of game set in the Sentinels world.  Copy it completely, with the same play-two-cards system, leveling up over a long campaign, retiring characters, city/road-type events, etc..  Start us out with the Freedom Five as the available starting characters then let us unlock new heroes as we go.  Fill that 20 lb. box with piles of sweet minis, cards, envelopes, boxes, and room tiles.  You will have my $140, no problem.

Thank you.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

That sounds awesome!  I've been wondering if I should get Gloomhaven, since it sounds really cool, but I don't know if I would have the time for it.  But if it were Sentinels themed, I'd make the time for it.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I dunno, Gloomhaven looks so unwieldy and ridiculous. It's such a different game. I'm not a big fan of the whole 'legacy gaming' thing either, but that's just me.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

There's probably a way to take the Tactics rule set, add some robot/AI aspects for the villain, and make it into a set of scenarios that fit the bill.

Note I haven't played Gloomhaven, I'm just thinking that half the work has already been done here.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Gloomhaven is unbelievable.  It's like a full D&D campaign, but in a box.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

It looks fantastic, but I don't usually have 2 hours and $200 is a pretty big ask.  I haven't even picked up Spirit Island yet, at less than half the price.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

It's an interesting idea. I think Christopher may be playing a game of Gloomhaven these days. I haven't heard his thoughts yet, though...

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

All of these game, while fun, I would just rather play an RPG. I enjoyed Descent but it just made me want to play D&D instead of continuing the campaign.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I don't think a Sentinels version would be financially viable. Gloomhaven works because it's a dungeon crawl; all of its location tiles are linked thematically and should have a relatively static look.

Compare that to Sentinels, wherein varied environments are literally 1/3 of the game itself. Even with two sided tiles, you'd need a ton of tiles to even come close to providing any environments outside of "basic city" or "basic mars base". Even something as simple as entering a building changes that dynamic. In order to provide any satisfying gameplay, you'd be looking at a $200 or $300 box at entry, and that's not tenable.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The impression I've gotten so far is that Sentinels crossovers tend to happen either when GTG or Handelabra themselves are already involved or when the game's creators themselves approach GTG for a crossover idea, rather than the other way around.

Also... yeah, going to agree with MindWanderer that Spirit Island is already expensive enough to make me think twice about buying it even though it looks awesome; spending $140 on just a single core board game is almost certainly a no for me.

And yeah I'm also kinda with speedyolrac in the "I would rather simply play an actual RPG" bucket, especially since that's a far cheaper route.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

especially since that's a far cheaper route.

Tell that to my wallet.  (I... may have an RPG purchasing problem)
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:
And yeah I'm also kinda with speedyolrac in the "I would rather simply play an actual RPG" bucket, especially since that's a far cheaper route.
Yeah, even at, say, $40 for the core rulebook, $10-$20 per adventure set, and $30-$40 per supplement, it'll take a lot of material to add up to the cost of one Gloomhaven.  And with that, you get a lot more flexibility and story.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Blackfang108 wrote:

Tell that to my wallet.  (I... may have an RPG purchasing problem)

Yeah, me too admittedly, I just love reading RPG sourcebooks for fun. :3

Still, as MindWanderer notes, it takes a lot of books to add up to the same price point. And certainly the bare minimum for playing a game is usually much smaller.

I mean, like, I don't want to diss the game? There's clearly a market out there of people enjoying it, and if the Gloomhaven peeps ever approached GTG wanting to do a thing, I wouldn't presume to tell them what to say.

But is there enough of an overlap a viable market for GTG to want to approach them? Enh? I dunno? I just know I personally would stick to watching a Let's Play if anyone ever did one. I'd rather throw out my moolah for the SCRPG itself.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

Now to Answer Spiff Question with a question. Do you want the Sentinels IP in Gloomhavean or a Gloomhaven Like game using the Sentinels IP?

From what I see of Christopher I bet you he is willing to let a character have a cameo there. I mean they got Fanatic in One Deck Dungeon and La Commodora in a Pirate game. They already have a minies game in Tactics(Rip) not sure if they are willing to another mini game. I can see them going more Runebound feel, where there is more variance in the story and events. 

Which Hero would make sense to have a Cameo in this? I would want Female Haka because she looks awesome.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

speedyolrac wrote:

Now to Answer Spiff Question with a question. Do you want the Sentinels IP in Gloomhavean or a Gloomhaven Like game using the Sentinels IP? From what I see of Christopher I bet you he is willing to let a character have a cameo there. I mean they got Fanatic in One Deck Dungeon and La Commodora in a Pirate game. They already have a minies game in Tactics(Rip) not sure if they are willing to another mini game. I can see them going more Runebound feel, where there is more variance in the story and events.  Which Hero would make sense to have a Cameo in this? I would want Female Haka because she looks awesome.

I'm not interested in a Sentinels hero making a cameo in the existing Gloomhaven game.  My point was simply that Gloomhaven is such an incredible game (my wife and I have literally played it every night of the week for the past few weeks) that I wish I could play that game but in other settings as well.  I'd play the hell out of a Gloomhaven version in the Marvel world, a space version, a spy version, etc.  It occurred to me that the Sentinels world would be perfect for the kind of RPG-in-a-box that Gloomhaven has so successfully pulled off, so I figured I'd register my vote here to say that I'd pay a lot of money (20 lbs of tiles and minis and standees and cards don't come cheap) for exactly that game.  It's not that I expect them to do it but I thought I'd provide some customer feedback to say that this is the kind of game I'd pay money for.  That's all.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

So Instead of a dungeon, you would be playing on a cityscape. That can be fun. Hopefully, Christopher hops in here and give us his thoughts.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In a sense, what's not to like about Gloomhaven -- Readily understandable tactics, don't need to find a GM, co-op, at least somewhat story driven, and if you like it, you get to play a lot of it.

My problems are that for an RPG, there's not enough freedom, and for a boardgame it's far more of an investment in time and money than the enjoyment I think I'd get out of it. I played an intro scenario for a couple of hours, was reasonably impressed by various aspects, but not nearly enough to want to invest.

THAT BEING SAID, since I like Sentinels characters, if there was a Sentinels version of this, I'd almost certainly buy and play all of it.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

arenson9 wrote:

My problems are that for an RPG, there's not enough freedom, and for a boardgame it's far more of an investment in time and money than the enjoyment I think I'd get out of it.

Yeah, that's the big sticking point for me.

If a Sentinels Gloomhaven or similar thing was, say, more like $60, I'd... OK, still agree with speedyolrac that it seems kinda redundant with both the SCRPG and with Tactics... but at least it would fall under "tempting" rather than "no".

Spiff
Spiff's picture

That's interesting, because it sounds like I'm the exact opposite of many of you.  I don't mind paying a premium for a fantastic game.  What burns me is paying top dollar for a game that only ends up getting one or two play sessions before it just takes up space on my shelf.  And I have no interest in the RPG but if I could get the RPG experience -- interacting with the Sentinels world and characters without needing to find a GM or setting aside half days to play (our Gloomhaven sessions have been a predictable 1.5 hours each night), then I'd jump at the chance.

arenson9 wrote:

I played an intro scenario for a couple of hours, was reasonably impressed by various aspects, but not nearly enough to want to invest.

This is a true point (from the only guy commenting here who's actually played the game, as near as I can tell ;) ).  It is an investment of not only money but time.  Gloomhaven does have a lot of set up and bookkeeping.  It's not hard, but you don't just pop the top off the box and start playing.  And while you can play it in casual mode where your scenarios don't link together into a larger campaign, I think you'd be missing a large part of the value of the game by doing so.  Having said that though, I would think that with GtG's emphasis on world building and storytelling, this method of delivering their story to new players would be right up their alley.  Gloomhaven hasn't had all the Hotness for months for no reason.  It's obviously a very popular game.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Spiff wrote:

That's interesting, because it sounds like I'm the exact opposite of many of you.  I don't mind paying a premium for a fantastic game.

For me it's admittedly a conflation of two perception factors:

1. I've spent a significant chunk of my life close to dirt poor, and while I currently have a budget that allows me to spend a little more freely, said budget is still not objectively that high and has question marks as to how long it will last so I'm still mostly hoarding for the future just in case. So my perception of money is still skewed in the sense of "I could spend [x] amount on one totally fluff thing... or I could spend that amount on [y] number of practical use things".

So I'm more likely to splurge for premiums on things that have pragmatic or otherwise a ton of everyday usage... I splurged on my current tablet and laptop being decently high-end, for instance, since those are things I collectively use the majority of the time I'm not sleeping.

2. I'm basically the only nerd in my area, and if I ever find any other geeks offline to hang with, it'll probably be just one other person at best. So realistically pretty much any geeky fluff thing I buy is only going to be enjoyed by me. And I already have a giant backlog of things I can amuse myself with, so anything new has to compete.

So basically if I were richer and/or I had more nerdy friends to do nerd things with, that admittedly would probably adjust my feelings on the matter.

Aside: Both my winter jacket and my computer desk cost about $150 each. When they were bought 18 years ago, with both still going strong with just some moderate cosmetic damage on the part of the desk while my jacket still looks practically brand new.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:
arenson9 wrote:
I played an intro scenario for a couple of hours, was reasonably impressed by various aspects, but not nearly enough to want to invest.

... while you can play it in casual mode where your scenarios don't link together into a larger campaign, I think you'd be missing a large part of the value of the game by doing so.  

Perhaps the story aspects of Gloomhaven, which I haven't experienced, are better than I'd guessed. Given that, if I was looking to do a bunch of regular gaming with the same set of people, this would be a candidate. So would a few of the Legacy games. I do rather a lot of regular gaming already, though.

Still, if there were a SotM version of Gloomhaven, I'd be all over it.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Everything about Gloomhaven is spectacular and I'd probably pay up to $500 without question to stamp Sentinels stuff all over it instead of the fantasy world it inhabits now. I have two groups of Gloomhaven that I'm a part of; one solo, and one with a group that meets a couple of times a week with rotating members. Both work well and the Legacy aspects are simple enough that you don't feel like you're wrecking your game (even though I, personally, have no problem with that and will rip up every card if it told me to lol). There are SO many map tiles that go unused except for, like, one scenario, so I think it would be simple to have multiple, linked stories in several more environments than are currently in Gloomhaven. The weird thing might be retirement, though, since that's how you unlock new characters in Gloomhaven and I don't see The Wraith retiring so that Captain Cosmic can join the fray instead...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

...so, all this sounds like the upcoming Sentinels of Freedom video game is going to tick a lot of people's boxes.

PlatinumWarlock

much0gust0 wrote:

The weird thing might be retirement, though, since that's how you unlock new characters in Gloomhaven and I don't see The Wraith retiring so that Captain Cosmic can join the fray instead...

But what about retiring Legacy, so that a new Legacy can take on the cape?

Frankly, I'm really ambivalent about Gloomhaven. I like my dungeon crawlers to have dice and, with things like Descent, Shadows of Brimstone, Zombicide Black Plague, and the D&D adventure games out there, the legacy elements aren't enough to get me to shell out the $150 for another chance to beat up orcs and goblins.

I think I'd much rather see a legacy version of that other SotM board game that was appearing here and there... the one that looked like it had something of an Arkham Horror style board.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

This has dice!....in....the shape of a deck, haha ;)! It's actually much cleaner this way, as you can take out or add card (re: dice sides) to your deck (re: roll) to further upgrade your character. Super fun system.

PlatinumWarlock

much0gust0 wrote:

This has dice!....in....the shape of a deck, haha ;)! It's actually much cleaner this way, as you can take out or add card (re: dice sides) to your deck (re: roll) to further upgrade your character. Super fun system.

Nope.  Do not want.

Give me something like Shadows of Brimstone, which has a glorious handful of six-siders and a ton of character options for each class.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Not to derail my own topic, but I was poking around on the website of the company that made Gloomhaven and it turns out that the designer loves SotM and started work on a game (not Gloomhaven) that tries to achieve the same goals of simplicity and variance of gameplay as SotM.  As near as I can tell, the game was never actually produced.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’m conflicted about whether I’d want a Sentinels version of Gloomhaven.   Primarily because there are few parts where I’m not sure it lines up very well, I’m not fully a fan of Legacy type games, and I don’t game as regularly.  If something like it got made I’d be inclined to purchase it but it may not see play until my son is much older.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I've met the designer of Gloomhaven. Lives here in Indy. I'll try to remember to suggest the idea to him sometime.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

Not to derail my own topic, but I was poking around on the website of the company that made Gloomhaven and it turns out that the designer loves SotM and started work on a game (not Gloomhaven) that tries to achieve the same goals of simplicity and variance of gameplay as SotM.  As near as I can tell, the game was never actually produced.

This post was from 5 years ago...did this game actually turn out TO BE Gloomhaven? You say no, but I assume that's just because he gave it a different name in this post and because he wanted it to be simple. Seems like he did make this game but realized that it was going to have to be bigger and more convuluted to achieve all that he wanted. Gloomhaven definitely has the hallmarks that he mentions in this post, most predominantly the different characters feeling so different from one another. Doesn't really matter in the long run; just a curiosity.

glenn frog knight

I'd definitely love to play a progression-legacy roleplaying tactical Sentinels game. I don't think it needs, or even should be, EXACTLY like Gloomhaven, but then again, if it were, I'd play it. I'd take either.

Est Sularus oth Mithas: My Honor is My Life