The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Mists of Oblivion question

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
bkerns
Playtester
Mists of Oblivion question

If Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares uses Mists of Oblivion, does he get the bonus fear on the power card for the towns and cities he would've destroyed?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I would say no, since they weren't destroyed...and actually, a quick Google to look for any previous incidences of this question brings up a thread in this very forum in which such was confirmed, see here - https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/bringer-of-dreams-and-nightmares-mists-of-oblivion-10519

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

As someone who has not yet played Spirit Island, is Mists of Oblivion in any way connected to Nightmist and or OblivAeon?  I'm guessing no, but hoping yes!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’m sure Christopher could make some argument that it is but I don’t see that as the intention especially since this timeframe these events occur in Spirit Island is the colonial age.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Nightmist's great great...grandmother?  We know her father was into paranormal stuff, why not farther back?

Powerhound_2000

I guess.  I just don’t think such a stretch is necessary.   This game was originally created and it’s background completely separate from Sentinels.   I would say Spirit Island had more influence on what has happened with Sentinels as far as connection and references than the other way around especially with the original content released. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester
rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Oh, I know they're separate, except for the Nexus of the Void connection.  I just really want them to be more connected!

Powerhound_2000

Nexus of the Void is still a tack on by Christopher and not something the Spirit Island creator Eric ever intended.  

bkerns
Playtester

This was the answer I expected, but I was hoping it would work.  It's an ideal power for BoDaN otherwise.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, you'll still get Bringer's special-rule Fear for anything you would have destroyed, which is more than any other spirit gets for destroying stuff anyway. So it's not as if you lose out - quite the opposite, really ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

bkerns
Playtester

You do lose out, because that special rule fear is the fair exchange for not destroying stuff, and then you miss out on the bonus fear on the card that other spirits would get.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I suppose it depends how much stuff you destroy - Bringer generates more Fear for destroying buildings than the other spirits do (two for Towns and five for Cities, versus one and two for everyone else), plus gets to Push them somewhere. So if you were playing with, say, Ocean, and pushed them into the sea you'd get some Fear for Ocean subsequently eating everything (since that's Ocean doing the destroying, not Bringer) >:).

I am the Wordweaver...

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Note that Bringer doesn't get to push Cities. (Made that mistake before.)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Good point. I don't think I've ever hit a City hard enough as Bringer to trigger the effect anyway, but it's possible that I did and forgot about the no-pushing effect. Or maybe I did remember. I haven't played as Bringer for a while now...hmm, will have to fix that ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I remember it because we had a game with Ocean, Bringer, and River wherein Bringer drew Tsunami and hit a coast I'd had to neglect for a couple turns (me playing Ocean). In part because we did things improperly, I think we generated 36 fear off the Tsunami, thresholds, pushes, and destruction. It still would have been impressive without pushing and actually destroying the cities, and we might not have won (I can't remember if that's the first time we ran the Fear deck or if we won that turn on TL 3.)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

>36 fear

u wot m8 :D

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Well... when you've got a loaded up coastline, Bringer playing Tsunami and hitting the threshold, Ocean in the game and waiting to get fed, and mis-play the rule about pushing cities, it adds up. I remember us cycling the Fear pool twice, but not how much we exceeded it by after that.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Wow, that's cool :D. Generating a whole load of Fear at once is always satisfying, especially if you can earn two or more Fear cards at once and have a nice stack of them waiting to be resolved at the appropriate phase. Had an empty-Fear-deck victory the other day as Ocean and Shadow, pretty satisfying - think I've only emptied the Fear deck once before, if that :D.

I am the Wordweaver...