The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Custom Insert

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Custom Insert

I love the included inserts, I love when that sort of thing is included. However, it didn't fit Branch and Claw so... I made my own, of course!

https://imgur.com/gallery/xjO2L

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

That looks sweet.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Trajector
Trajector's picture

And, wow, that took you like no time, flat! It looks great. And having made the custom Tactics insert from these forums for myself, I'm sure it works great, too!

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nice job! I'm planning on either making an insert or a full custom case for this - I might have to borrow some ideas.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Shiny -- that's awesome! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I have a 2-box configuration that I use for my full set (including Champions of Dahan stuff). It involves throwing out the Branch & Claw insert and using that box for Spirit panels and a few zip top bags of stuff, and then using all of the base game trays plus the huge number of zip top bags that come with the game to hold all of the tokens and all of the scenario markers and Healthy/Blighted cards, Fear Cards, Event Cards, etc. in their own bags.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

AndrewD2

Man I would love a doc that could be printed and pasted onto the foam core to be cut out. (I am horrible at designing things like this ... or too much of a perfectionist that it never gets completed)

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

That looks pretty sweet!

(Out of curiosity, did you make and/or sell one of these for New Bedford? Looks a lot like the one I got on Etsy, and that thing's amazing.)

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I was so inspired by lynkfox that I made my own! The game arrived Wednesday night, so of course I spent all of Thursday making this thing. Before I even played the game! Where are my priorities?! This is my first board game insert and it's a little rough (I don't have the right tools for foamcore), but I'm happy with how it came out.

Of couse, pictures:

The box has a lid. It closes. Everyone knows this; I don't know why I bothered saying it.

The manuals sit on top of everything:

And the island boards underneath:

Under the island boards, the box is split in half. The insert on the far side and two Plano boxes on the near side. The Plano boxes hold all of the bits that you need frequent access to during the game (invaders, Dahan, energy, spirit tokens, scenario tokens). I split it evenly into two boxes because, in 3-4 player games, I like to put one box near each end of the table so everyone has easy access without having to reach across the island. Presence, reminder tokens, fear, blight, fear dividers, and adversary reminders are all in baggies along the right side. You generally only need these things during setup.

The top section of the insert holds the spirit panels. They fit snugly and keep everything in place during transit. The cutouts on the near side of the insert are for clearance for the hinges of the Plano boxes.

The folded base game board sits in a cavity under the spirit panels. I stash the fear and blight tokens on the right because there's lots of space for them.

There's a little cutout for the adversary and scenario panels under the board:

And all the cards go at the bottom. The power progressions and reference cards fit under the event deck and the blight cards fit under the fear deck. There are little finger wells in the middle to make removing the cards easy.

And that's the thing. I didn't make a space for the Branch and Claw board extension because I don't use it and don't really want to carry it around. The canonical map mat, sadly, won't fit in here; I might try to make some kind of carrying tube for it.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

AndrewD2 wrote:

Man I would love a doc that could be printed and pasted onto the foam core to be cut out. (I am horrible at designing things like this ... or too much of a perfectionist that it never gets completed)

I'll try and see if I can at least come up with dimensions I used. No gaurantee tho, heh. I wing it a lot when making inserts

bobbertoriley wrote:

That looks pretty sweet!(Out of curiosity, did you make and/or sell one of these for New Bedford? Looks a lot like the one I got on Etsy, and that thing's amazing.)

Nope, not me! But foamcoar inserts are very common among serious/obsessive/overorganized boardgamers. I have made a couple for various purposes.

grysqrl wrote:

I was so inspired by lynkfox that I made my own! The game arrived Wednesday night, so of course I spent all of Thursday making this thing. Before I even played the game! Where are my priorities?! This is my first board game insert and it's a little rough (I don't have the right tools for foamcore), but I'm happy with how it came out.

Ah! Using plano boxes in the box, neat idea! I rarely play a game out of my personal stock with anyone more than my wife (if its with more than her, we're at our local board game club, and Don't usually need my own games) so having two trays was unecessary, but that is a really great design!

Lynkfox.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

After playing this game several times this week and having people request playing this game more than any other I need to make inserts to now. Never done it so How do I start?

FoamCour- Where do you get it and how do you work with it.

I like SqrlGrl Plano boxes, where did you get them? But getting others to help me add invader will help with me getting burned out of this game. Is there another option?

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I get my foam core from Joann, but Michaels and Staples have it too. Working with it involves an xacto blade or similar, a cutting board, a metal ruler, and craft glue. I also use sewing pins to hold things together as theydry dry.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Perhaps also worth mentioning: Broken Token has added Spirit Island to their poll for "what inserts should we do next?"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I voted for Spirit Island as that's something I'd buy.  I'm not much into crafting my own inserts. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I've got tons of Plano boxes that have been rotating in and out of use for years, so I'm not sure where in particular those ones came from. Probably a hardware store. Stores with fishing gear might be a good place to try. Amazon certainly has some.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Eric R wrote:

Perhaps also worth mentioning: Broken Token has added Spirit Island to their poll for "what inserts should we do next?"

Shiny! I'm sure I wasn't the only one who harassed them about that... 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I voted for it.  Most games I am okay with clutter, and I've got a good system going with Spirit Island, but if I can get the whole thing in one box i'm in.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Ditto.

Also gonna poke Daedalus Productions and see if they might have some ideas. Their insert for Eclipse is amazing.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

speedyolrac wrote:

After playing this game several times this week and having people request playing this game more than any other I need to make inserts to now. Never done it so How do I start? FoamCour- Where do you get it and how do you work with it.I like SqrlGrl Plano boxes, where did you get them? But getting others to help me add invader will help with me getting burned out of this game. Is there another option? 

Be careful! The world of creating custom inserts for your game boxes is addictive! You will soon find yourself making random boxes for random objects in random containers! xD

In all seriousness however, it is very easy. You need:

A good, sharp exacto knife with extra blades

A -METAL- ruler (plastic or wood will shave and cause uneven lines)

White glue (elmers is great)

Foamcore. (I like black, white is fine. Personal preference)

Not necessary, but very nice: A self healing cutting mat. If you don't want to drop the cash for that, some big sheets of cardboard work just as well.

All of the above is available at your local craft store most likely. Jo-ann, Michaels, Hobby Lobby if you are in the States all work great. If not, I am certain you know what your local variety of bigbox craft store is and with a proper list the people there can help you find it. The Plano boxes are almost always found at those stores too (people use them to store beads and jewelery parts) but if that doesn't work you can also find them often at fishing supply stores.

For making:

First, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfKaDX2P2k&index=30&list=UUzm-X8tDtEyrO...

(edit, if the edit is working, here is the playlist for all 3 foamcore videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3qhmvdVjd2uRvjS_6G3tcH1bGK6vHz2R )

(and others on their channel) - they do an excellent job of explaining what to do.

Next:  be patient! It takes a lot of patience, otherwise you'll rip the foamcore and cause uneven edges, or you'll cut things the wrong size. Measure multiple times and think about it, them measure again. 

But it is a lot of fun and feels really good. 

Lynkfox.