The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

2 unrelated questions: Guise "I can do that, too!" Visionary "Twist the Ether"

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
owlfile
2 unrelated questions: Guise "I can do that, too!" Visionary "Twist the Ether"

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help with my last few rule querries. I have 2 more,they are unrelated but I think they are pretty clear cut/easy so have put them in one thread.

Question 1: Can guise use "I can do that, too!" on himself (to play "tough choices").

Had this come up in a game when Omnitron-X used timeshift on Guise and "I can do that, too!" was put into play and "tough choices" was the most attractive power printed on an active character card. This could, of course, also come up during the course of Guises own turn, but the fact that you can only use a given power once during any one turn does not make it a particularly obvious option. There is nothing on the card indicating Guise can't use "I can do that, too!" on his own character card to activate "tough choices" (the wording "if that power has the name of a hero in it, treat that name as if were guise instead" could seem* to suggest it may not be able to played on his own card, but I don't believe thats the intent). Thematically it seemed to go against the whole flavour of the card to have Guise use it on himself ... but then I remembered this is Guise I was talking about and putting it mildly, he doesn't exactly follow normal logic and by his very nature can make all sort ofs whacky stuff seem perfectly fine and normal. So in my mind, I think this is pretty clear cut, Guise can use "I can do that, too" to use his own base power "tough choices" (this doesn't mean he can use it more then once per turn however).

Question 2: Visionary's "Twisting the Ether" change of damage type compulsary ?

Sorry, I know this card has been discussed at length over the years and now has some very solid rulings on it, but ...

Is the changing of the type of damage dealt compulsary (or, can the type of damage being dealt be "changed" to what it already is?).

I will illustrate what I see as the 2 possibilities here. Option 1 is how I've been treating it, and I think it's more in line with the feel of the card (by it's art/title it would seem to me the changing of damage type is the whole idea of the card, otherwise it's pretty much just a +1 or -1 mod) and it could be argued that the card reads "change the type of damage dealt by that target" instead of "You may change the type of damage dealt by that target", so the damage dealt can't be what it would normally be. Option 2 is how I believe most people play it, and I think how it is ruled (how the app treats it?)

In this example, Ra (here we go) has "twist the ether" next to him (change damage dealt to a type of your choice and either increase or decrease damage dealt by 1) and "solar flare" in play (increase fire damage dealt by Ra by 2). I will be using the order as outlined in the damage spreadsheet (missing out the steps which do not have relavance to this example). Assume there are no other cards in play which effect damage (type/damage modifiers etc) and Ra uses "Pyre" (deal 1 target 2 fire damage) the only 2 options I can see are:

1. Ra uses pyre (base fire damage 2) - Damage type determination: "twist the ether" states the type of damage (must be) CHANGED, so Ra has to change it from fire to any other kind of damage, he chooses Cold in this case - Damage modifiers: as the damage being dealt is no longer fire "solar flare" is now irrelavant at this point and it is only the modifier from "twist the ether" that must be applied (+1 or -1), Ra chooses + 1 bringing the final damage to 3 cold damage.

2. Ra uses pyre (base fire damage 2) - Damage type determination: "twist the ether" has to be used to change the type of damage, but in this case it is "changed" from fire "to" fire. Damage modifiers: both "twist the ether" and "solar flare" must modify the amount of damage being done by the (currently) 2 fire damage pyre, the order in which the modifers are applied is down to the player (although in this case it won't make a difference), "twist the ether" is choosen to increase it by 1 and then solar flare increases it by 2 (for a total of 5 fire damage).

I like 1 better thematically, 2 is probably smoother. I have no issues with the fact that TtE treats each instance of damage is seperately, redirections are reworked as new instances of damage, or that the damage dealt must either be increased or decreased by 1, my uncertainty lies with the damage type changing.

Advance thanks for your wisdom and patience! (and apologies for dragging up TtE)

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I would say Guise can let himself use his own base power, because it doesn't say that you can't :).

Twist can change any damage type to any damage type, and it can keep it the same because I had a Gene-Bound Psy-Weaver both Twisted and Wrested and chose to leave its damage as psychic while it was hitting everything (which was being redirected to other Minions thanks to Wrest, meanwhile Visionary was immune to the feedback damage thanks to beign in her TK Cocoon and the Psy-Weaver is immune to psychic anyway :D). This was in the Steam version so it's legit :).

Incidentally, it's not the target of Twist that chooses the damage type (you mentioned Ra as being the one to choose it in your above post), but the Visionary. Though of course that's how it tends to happen when you play it on a hero because you're probably not gonna change someone's damage type (or increase/decrease it) to something they don't want ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Yes, I can do that too could be used to activate Guise's power.  It's certainly not a bad play especially with own cards like Super Ultra Kawaii and Selling Out which allow him to play cards out of turn.  It's helpful wiht Selling Out because you could have chosen to play one shots and having played I can do that do to use Guise's own power to get an Ongojng card into play as well.

For Twist the Ether Visionary does have to choose a damage type but it can be the same damage type as the original source.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Fire can be changed to fire, Bunker's external combustion and Ra's Imbued Fire show us that.