The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Tag teams

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
awp832
Playtester
Tag teams

Just thought I'd make a topic for discussion about character combos with better than average synergies.  I dont just mean  "wraith does a lot of damage and so does Ra, therefore they're great together"  but more of specific card combos that can show off the teamwork aspect of the game.  I'm curious to know if there are any I've not thought of yet.

1.  Zero and Ra.  Popular on this forum,  but as a more conservative player I put this in the category of dangerous.  It does a ton of damage with Ra blasting Zero with anything, and Zero spitting back out cold damage with his Isothermic Transducer,  and Coolant Blast... but its also pretty likely to kill Zero.  I have no doubts this is pretty effective (especially since once dead, Zero can let another hero use a power, which is always nice) but its not especially my style.

2.  Visionary and Tachyon.  A super good pair.  Tachyon's ultimate goal is to have her whole deck in the trash and play Lightspeed Barrage (or 3 of them).  Visionary's Enlighten power used on her every turn helps her draw more cards and trash more cards, ensuring that Tachyon can get to that explosive stage quickly.

3.  Fanatic and Ra.  A more complex one, but one that I've been using to great effect lately.  Ra is a hero that tends to have a lot of powers and can only use one per turn.  But if Fanatic hits him with Embolden, problem solved.    Even better (the only way I really suggest using this strategy..) is for Ra to play both Imbue Fire and Flesh of the Sun God first.  That way,  all the damage dealt to Ra by Embolden is fire damage,  which Ra is immune to.  Effectively he can play 2 powers per turn at no cost.  Add on Solar Flare for extra effect.  As an accidental bonus, Imbue Fire multiplies Fanatics Exorcism damage from 1/1 to 2/2, doubling the damage output from her base power.    I really love this one.

4.  Legacy and Fanatic.    Sure they took away the Chastise/ Lead from the Front combo and for good reason...  But this combo is still worth mentioning.  Galvanize + Inspirational presence turns Fanatic's 2 damage base power into 6.  This  is also great when using Divine Focus.

5.  Legacy and Tempest.  Similar strategy as to using Legacy and Fanatic.  Vicious Cyclone's damage can be multiplied very quickly with Legacy's buffs,  especially if Gene Bound Shackles is in play.

6.  Visionary and Tempest.    Between Visionary's Suggestion and Into the Stratosphere, you can get a ton of control over the villan deck.    Its a lock down strategy,  Reclaiming from the Deep to retrieve Into the Stratosphere is also helpful.  Able to slow villan deck progression to a crawl. 

7.  Visionary and Legacy.  Another lockdown strategy.  Takes a bit of luck to pull off, but very effective if you do.  Your goal here is to have Legacy draw Take Down  (enlighten can help you) and have Visionary get out Mental Divergence.  Legacy plays Take Down and then Visionary lets him retrieve it and put it on top of his deck.  You can play Take Down this way on every other turn,  more often if you had  a way to let Legacy draw a card out of turn somehow  (burst of Speed maybe)

You may have noticed I've not come up with anything for Haka, Bunker, or Wraith.  I'd love to hear somehting but....  *Shrugs*  sorry guys,  I always like having Haka or Wraith on the team because their solo abilities are strong,  but I cant especially think of any ways they form any dynamic duos with other heroes.    Bunker....  I dont tend to have much sucess with, perhaps because I cant think of any way he'd be particularly good with another hero,  and I can never seem to get him to be that strong alone either.

EDIT:  I suppose you could pull off the Legacy/Visionary Take Down strategy with Haka/Visionary instead, using Ground Pound instead of Take Down.  Similar effect, doesnt slow he villan deck, but does stop you from taking damage.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I _love_ this topic. Wish I had good combos to add to it. As for Bunker, I've had very good success with him. The trick, I think, is to virtually ignore what's going on in the game and just concentrate on getting the right cards. If you can get to ten or twelve cards, there's a reasonable chance you have each both upgrade mode and turret mode (or the means to retrieve them) and three or four other good cards (omni cannon, flak cannon, etc.). Go into upgrade mode for two turns. On the second turn, use your second play to get turret mode out. With a couple of buffs from Legacy you'll be doing around 20 points of damage.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

I think Legacy + Anyone should just be up there as a given.

beevolant

I agree with all of those!

I think that Wraith, Bunker and Haka are less likely to be in teams, but I think that they're just more 'complete' decks - they have their own healing, their own combos, their own control and damage... All of them are better with Fanatic, Legacy, Visionary, or Tempest but those are decks with a lot of supportive stuff.

You could always do a Wraith/Haka combo with Smoke Bombs and general Haka-tanking.

"Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath"

EricAlexWTG

The very best tag team we've found is Visionary and Absolute Zero.  With a double Twist the Ether on Zero, he can basically alternate his turns between doing massive damage and then healing fully the next turn.  Plus Visionary can hop in a telekinetic cocoon to make sure Zero can keep doing this forever.  It is truly nasty.  He needs that Thermodynamic Shockwave and both his modules to make the combo work on his end.

CrosshairCollie
CrosshairCollie's picture

I recently played a game where we had Bunker and Tempest in play; most villain cards didn't stand a chance, between Tempest's innate power and Bunker's grenade launcher.  Having Legacy there was icing on the cake; Legacy uses Galvanize, Bunker and Tempest wipe out all the villain cards with HP, then the other two heroes focus on bashing the heck out of the main villain. :)