The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

OblivAeon Kickstarter

1202 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Spiff wrote:

That Price of Freedom Wraith update irks me.  There's obviously a great story going on there, with all the Spite clones and the mud pit and whatnot, but they won't tell us what it is.  Just wish they'd actually tell us what the story is.

That has been the case for the entire game why change now?  I would love for them to release more story information but they hold it back continuously outside of what we string together or the tidbits Christopher is willing to reveal in the Q&A

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

See, that art always reminded me of the bit in The Dark Knight Returns when Bats takes out the Mutant Leader.

I think those aren't clones of Spite.

They're copycats.

Note that Spite's mask also gives him white eyes, like Price of Freedom Wraith has.

We know that Wraith became what she hates to get the power to fight Iron Legacy...

So maybe, in addition to whatever happened with the Organization, she took some kind of drug cocktail similar to Spite's and recruited his copy cats.

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Or it's just a shout-out to The Dark Knight Returns.

More previews are always good, though!  I really like the new, more-active one for Fanatic!

(Of course, I am biased, as she's my favorite of the core box Heroes.)

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

My current theory on what is going on with Freedom Six Wraith.

With the announcement of Sentinel Tactics: Battle For Broken City, we saw 5 Spite clones. We also learned that with the damages done to Rook City thanks to Deadline and Progeny, there were some issues with The Chairman's under ground facility that resulted in many of the clones not surviving. We know Deadline went to Earth to cause mass destruction to try and lure away OblivAeon. However, Iron legacy seems to have done that in his timeline, resulting in Deadline not taking notice of the planet. It also seems as though there is one OblivAeon that exist, traveling where and when as he pleases. Sincet the main timeline is the one he is more interested in, the Iron Legacy's timeline planet may not have a Progeny. Due to Deadline and Progeny possibly not attacking in the Iron legacy Timeline, it is likely that a lot more of the Spite clones could have survived. Perhaps The Wraith or Iron legacy instead initiated the reasoning as to why The Chairman went into hiding in his underground facility. 

We have no confirmation as to whether or not Freedom Six Wraith's artwork takes place prior to or after the final conflict with Iron Legacy. Going with that it is actually after the battle, then perhaps this is after The Chairman has come back, bringing even more Spite clones with him than he does in the main timeline. One of the first things he decides to do is to take out The Wraith, as she has taken over for him while he was away.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

That has been the case for the entire game why change now?

Because the game is done!

The fact that everyone here has their own theories about what's going on in that pit tells me that we don't actually have the real story.  I have to admit that if I'm expected to buy the RPG to get the story for the game I've been paying for for 5 years, I may just say forget it.

Yes, I'm in a mood today.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Twice as much mood as yesterday?

I actually prefer some of the original art, GI Bunker for example.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000

Spiff wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Because the game is done!The fact that everyone here has their own theories about what's going on in that pit tells me that we don't actually have the real story.  I have to admit that if I'm expected to buy the RPG to get the story for the game I've been paying for for 5 years, I may just say forget it.Yes, I'm in a mood today.

I totally understand and I would love that information but Christopher seems unlikely to fully tell the story.   Even with the RPG I still expect there will be missing information.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Ronway, I like a lot of what you say. But look at the posture of Wraith and the Spites: it doesn't look like she's fighting them to me. Rather, I think she's controlling them. Chilling...

EDIT: Typo fixed

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Matchstickman wrote:

Twice as much mood as yesterday?

I'll admit I'm getting a little tired of begging for the VotM art to the sound of crickets.  It's getting increasingly difficult to maintain enthusiasm.  Them not just telling the damned story pricks the same nerve that's been getting worn down for a while.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

Ironic wrote:

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

We did learn that the last stretch goal will contain six cards. (Not sure if that's six exactly or at least six..) I wonder if this means more alternates. Maybe for villains?

I find that an interesting number, given that there are nine pre-OblivAeon Heroes who currently have only one variant, including those announced as part of this campaign.  Had I been speculating on the final goal, I would have guessed it to be some themed set of promos for Ra, ExPat, Fixer, NightMist, K.N.Y.F.E., Chrono-Ranger, Naturalist, Setback, and the Scholar.  But apparently not! Six is a funny nuber here.  I'd say it points to the Freedom Five plus one other (Unity?), but I hear that GTG doesn't want to make a Legacy promo which represents an alternate version of the same person - just different Legacies.  So I am somewhat at a loss.

Six is a very strange number here, I agree completely. Which is why I postulated in another thread that there will really be nine. The final Tim Cosing mystery, if you will. This is reinforced by the string of (coincidental?) numbers achieved with 18 (6+6+6) days remaining. 6th update, 6 cards, 6666 backers.
Hmmm... how many sixes is that...
How many pre-OblivAeon heroes have only a single alternate?
Six_cards eh?

ChronoRanger_101
ChronoRanger_101's picture

deddragon wrote:

Ironic wrote:
ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

We did learn that the last stretch goal will contain six cards. (Not sure if that's six exactly or at least six..) I wonder if this means more alternates. Maybe for villains?

I find that an interesting number, given that there are nine pre-OblivAeon Heroes who currently have only one variant, including those announced as part of this campaign.  Had I been speculating on the final goal, I would have guessed it to be some themed set of promos for Ra, ExPat, Fixer, NightMist, K.N.Y.F.E., Chrono-Ranger, Naturalist, Setback, and the Scholar.  But apparently not! Six is a funny nuber here.  I'd say it points to the Freedom Five plus one other (Unity?), but I hear that GTG doesn't want to make a Legacy promo which represents an alternate version of the same person - just different Legacies.  So I am somewhat at a loss.

Six is a very strange number here, I agree completely. Which is why I postulated in another thread that there will really be nine. The final Tim Cosing mystery, if you will. This is reinforced by the string of (coincidental?) numbers achieved with 18 (6+6+6) days remaining. 6th update, 6 cards, 6666 backers.
Hmmm... how many sixes is that...
How many pre-OblivAeon heroes have only a single alternate?
Six_cards eh?

yes. Six cards. I really think that's just trying to see what you wanna see in this case. Yes, that equals nine sixes, but I don't think it has anything to do with 6666 backers. That was bound to happen at some point, though I'm pretty sure it happened AFTER the twitch feed. So while it's a fun tidbit, I find this to mostly be wishful thinking. It'll more than likely just be six cards. 

masterfwiffo

Matchstickman wrote:

Twice as much mood as yesterday?I actually prefer some of the original art, GI Bunker for example.

I feel the same way about some of the oversized villains - Ambuscade, Akashbhuta and the Operative come to mind.  But I'm happy to mix and match the ones I like.

waedens
Playtester

I just think that this is how Christopher tells stories. No offense to Christopher, but he is not a great novelist. If he was, he would write a book. Instead he is a game designer. He has all the elements of the plot and the overarching story he wants to tell, but his talent is not writing it all down giving the characters the dialog that delivers the intensity that they deserve. So, through Adam he paints snap shots of important moments that fit with the plot that he wants to advance. He then leaves it to our imagination to fill in the details. It is actually a classical way of telling a story taken to the extreme. When Homer wrote that Helen of Troy was the most beautiful woman in the world he did not then describe her. By leaving Helen a blank canvas we can all imagine our own version of idea beauty. Yours will be different than mine. I believe that the same kind of thing is happening here. Of the whole Kickstarter I am most worried about the comic because I think it will be hard for it to live up to what we hope it will be…

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

waedens wrote:
 Of the whole Kickstarter I am most worried about the comic because I think it will be hard for it to live up to what we hope it will be…

I share this sentiment.

Great World Builders aren't always great writers.

armadagon
armadagon's picture

Quite a number of pre-Oblivaeon heroes have only one alternate.  Discounting the heroes that are receiving a second alternate thanks to Oblivaeon, we still have:

All of Dark Watch (Expatriette, Setback, Mr. Fixer, Nightmist)

Chrono Ranger

Omnitron-X (Getting variant thanks to Oblivaeon)

Sky-Scraper (Getting variants thanks to Oblivaeon, Though she technically gets 3 thanks to her different forms)

The Sentinels (Technically already has 4 thanks to being 4 heroes in one)

Ra

Parse (Getting variant thanks to Oblivaeon)

K.N.Y.F.E.

The Scholar

The Naturalist

So that makes 11 single characters, 9 if you remove the two single heroes getting Variants thanks to Oblivaeon, 13 if you count Sky-Scraper and the Sentinels.  It would require 18 total cards to give them all variants.

My Livestream - Streaming every Thursday from 9 to Midnight

My YouTube Archive - Missed the stream?  Catch up here!

PePe QuiCoSE

waedens wrote:
Of the whole Kickstarter I am most worried about the comic because I think it will be hard for it to live up to what we hope it will be…
I expect it to be as cliché, basic/classic and over-the-top as the one they have for FF4. After all, the quotes in general point towards that kind of comic.

In case somebody needs the link: http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/comic

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Spiff wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Because the game is done!The fact that everyone here has their own theories about what's going on in that pit tells me that we don't actually have the real story.  I have to admit that if I'm expected to buy the RPG to get the story for the game I've been paying for for 5 years, I may just say forget it.Yes, I'm in a mood today.

Agreed!

I'm beginning to feel like we'll never get the whole story and if I were to buy the RPG and find I'm still be strung along, I'm not sure I'd be able to maintain my role of GtG cheerleader.

phantaskippy wrote:

I share this sentiment.Great World Builders aren't always great writers.

He doesn't have to write it. A simple timeline of what happens when that ties the published images together would be 1,000,000 times better than what we've got now.

(Apparently I'm in a mood too...)

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Powerhound_2000

waedens wrote:

If they didn't already have FF #1 out there already I might be more concerned.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Long day led me to make poor choices and verbally accost people for no reason. Sorry for being a jerk. :(

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Greatly appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts -- and please continue to post them. Just want to ask that we also continue to respect everyone's opinions (and moods). Complaining is fine, if you like, but making derogatory comments about other people's comments is not acceptable. We'd like to keep this civil. Feel free to disagree and state your view and thoughts, of course, just don't go attacking someone else or theirs.

(Please don't make us break out the mod voice... )

And apparently it's one of those days, cuz I'm in a pretty y mood, myself.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

Conway, I like a lot of what you say. But look at the posture of Wraith and the Spites: it doesn't look like she's fighting them to me. Rather, I think she's controlling them. Chilling...

If this image is still canon, I doubt that she's controlling them...

http://sotm.wdfiles.com/local--files/heroes:the-wraith/f6wraithback.jpg

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Bet she is, though.

The way that mud puddle bit goes in TDKR is that Batman fights the leader of the crazy mutant gang, narrowly defeats him, and then the gang becomes loyal to Bats.  Harnessing The Chairman's army of Spites in the same way would explain both sides of the art, plus Iron Legacy calling her "Chairwoman."

It wouldn't justify why the new version of that art goes from a woman with jacked arms covered in mud to a woman with more slender arms, who almost totally clean and has shiny hair.  Sigh.  But still, I'd say that's the plot which is coded there.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Millon here we come but when??????

12:03am 2/24/16

We are at 6845 Backers For a Total of $954,844   Averaging $139.495

We need $45,261 to make 1 Million, so to get the update by Friday afternoon we need to avg. $18,105 To get it by fri. morning $22,631

350 more backers

Pledge Level      Backers                                Total

$1.00                    168                        $168.00

$39.00                 167                         $6,513.00

$54.00                 775                         $41,850.00

$69.00                 171                         $11,799.00

$84.00                 148                         $12,432.00

$99.00                 101                         $9,999.00

$109.00                1358                       $148,022.00

$139.00                3292                       $457,588.00

$249.00                213                         $53,037.00

$299.00                100                         $29,900.00

$399.00                322                         $128,478.00

$499.00                23                           $11,477.00

Total       $911,263.00

Difference of $43,581 For art prints Group buys and shipping

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

And apparently it's one of those days, cuz I'm in a pretty y mood, myself.

My wife's in a mood too, and it has absolutely, positively, nothing to do with me or anything I said (or didn't say) or do (or didn't do).

So I responded by uping my pledge from the 139 level to the 249 level. I really wanted the giant print but up until now I couldn't justify it. But if I have to be verbally abused at work and then get verbally abused at home, I'm darn well getting myself something pretty to look at.

I feel an </mood> coming on already. smiley

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

I think generalizing about writing is going off on a tangent. Writing isn't simply a talent. It's a skill that can be learned.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I'm going to buck the trend! I'm not in a mood today! While I was out walking I saw a cat!

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

I'm going to buck the trend! I'm not in a mood today! While I was out walking I saw a cat!

Yeah, I'm not in a mood either.

What sort of cat? 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Black cat with green eyes, sitting on a wall passersby.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

An excellent sort of cat.

Trick question, though, because they're all excellent sorts.

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
waedens wrote:

I expect it to be as cliché, basic/classic and over-the-top as the one they have for FF4.

You know, when I first read the FF4 Annual, I missed a lot of subtext.  I now think there's actually a huge amount packed into 32 pages there.  I've commented on some of that elsewhere.  So personally I have very high hopes for the OblivAeon comic, and I don't expect them to be disappointed - but it may take a few readings of the comic in various contexts for the depth to be revealed. 

Maynes32

Spiff wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I had a long rant about this. Instead I'm just going to agree ;)

Powerhound_2000

I'll counter that the game isn't truly done.   We still have about a year before OblivAeon is released.  

eggroll20xd6
eggroll20xd6's picture
Playtester

Maynes32 wrote:

Spiff wrote:
 Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I had a long rant about this. Instead I'm just going to agree ;)

Here is what I think about the whole "story" of Sentinels of the Multiverse.  Christopher has given us a world and he hasn't given us much detail because of the title of the game itself.  The multiverse is us and while we have comic numbers listed on each card and we have no idea where they really fit in terms of an official GTG storyline, if all we wanted was that story, I'm sure it will be given to us eventually.  I think its fun to think that maybe we encounter some heroes that we see in the early boxes later, but they foreshadow what is to come.

Take the Visionary for example, if we were to look at a chronological timeline of the comic history, in my opinion, she would show up closer to the Shattered Timelines part of the story instead of near the beginning of Sentinel Comics due to her whole time travel thing.  However, others could see her coming in sooner, but even though we don't know when she actually shows up, we still include her in our fights against Baron Blade, Voss, Omnitron, and Dawn.  It would kind of suck to just have a character sitting in a box for story purposes, especially if that character is one of your favorites.  Heck, AZ doesn't appear until FFA#5 (I think, don't have the cards in my had atm).  

For me personally, I've been trying to figure out where characters and things take place from the cards for a long time mainly for fan fiction purposes, but you know what, that's the fun of having this multiverse, it is what you create.  Look at Razor's Edge, it's an awesome story, and it got placed in the SotM:VG.  Does it need more context than what it gave? Maybe, but is it any less good? Nope. I continue to write from time to time and even hope to put it in the fan fiction section again (it's been a while).  Whether people read it or not, it's the story I want to tell and ultimately people can enjoy that or not. Even in comics today with everything rebooting, they are starting with characters and a blank canvas essentially.  Where those writers/creators go with those stories is up to them, just as much as this story is up to us.

On that note, I would love to see the GTG storyline timeline just so I can see what Christopher and Adam had intended from their perspective.

Go forth noble heroes!

Ironic
Ironic's picture

I'm in the same boat, Eggroll - the continuity of my own games has long since diverged from canon.  I don't feel constrained by anything canonical (down to my Wraith and AZ getting totally different origins), so I'm not as upset as many people seem to by limited information - but I'll admit I do find it an odd choice.Why not provide more details?  It's not like novel or television writers refusing to give spoilers, because the plot is not the main product they're selling, and could be a promotion.  Still, we get enough details to be helpful fodder for my group's concepts, so I can't complain.

(The Visionary was totally there when Blade brought down the moon, though - it's in her flavor text!)

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

Radman The Lucario
Radman The Lucario's picture

Less then 40k left! All aboard the hype train! :D

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

Radman The Lucario wrote:

Less then 40k left! All aboard the hype train! :D

Been sitting up front chatting with the engineer for a while now.

The trending model that I built has been saying 1 million on Saturday for about three days now.  Day-to-day prjections have been within $400-$600.  As of 10pm Pacific on Friday (KickTraq's midnight, since I'm using their daily pledge totals), my model says $998K. My personal guess is though that as we get close people will pop out of the woodwork and push us over the top on Friday evening.

And now for something completely different...
Both my grandfathers worked on the railroads. Grandpa Weber was a security guard aboard Wells Fargo money trains. He rode in the caboose and carried a shotgun.  So, yes, he literally "rode shotgun."

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Yak Guardian wrote:

And now for something completely different...

Both my grandfathers worked on the railroads. Grandpa Weber was a security guard aboard Wells Fargo money trains. He rode in the caboose and carried a shotgun.  So, yes, he literally "rode shotgun."

Ooh!  An excuse to engineer the derailment another thread with a train of puns!  This thread has been chugging along far too long without any puns.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Now you've totally crossed the line...

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

eggroll20xd6
eggroll20xd6's picture
Playtester

Too bad no one has a spare $38K laying around to get the update today...we need access to Maia's trust fund.

Go forth noble heroes!

Powerhound_2000

If we had access to those funds we would have blown past one mill the first day.  

eggroll20xd6
eggroll20xd6's picture
Playtester

We don't know that for sure, we need to see her financial portfolio

Go forth noble heroes!

dyeung87
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

If we had access to those funds we would have blown past one mill the first day.  

Depends on how you look at it...

If it's to give a bunch of geeks a card game, then I doubt Maia would approve.

On the other hand, if it's to get as many people in on the fight against Oblivaeon as possible, then she'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm for the second one. :p

Ironic
Ironic's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Yak Guardian wrote:
And now for something completely different...Both my grandfathers worked on the railroads. Grandpa Weber was a security guard aboard Wells Fargo money trains. He rode in the caboose and carried a shotgun.  So, yes, he literally "rode shotgun."

Ooh!  An excuse to engineer the derailment another thread with a train of puns!  This thread has been chugging along far too long without any puns.

Foul.  The crossroads of Sentinels and train puns is Fright Train's express purpose - if you conduct yourself in this manner, what will tie together his flavor?  That really gets me steamed.

I, for one, will always rail against such behavior - you're surely getting coal this Christmas.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

deddragon
deddragon's picture
Playtester

ChronoRanger_101 wrote:

So while it's a fun tidbit, I find this to mostly be wishful thinking. It'll more than likely just be six cards. 

It is most certainly NOT "mostly... wishful thinking." It is entirely wishful thinking. That's my favorite kind.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Ironic wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
Yak Guardian wrote:
And now for something completely different...Both my grandfathers worked on the railroads. Grandpa Weber was a security guard aboard Wells Fargo money trains. He rode in the caboose and carried a shotgun.  So, yes, he literally "rode shotgun."

Foul.  The crossroads of Sentinels and train puns is Fright Train's express purpose - if you conduct yourself in this manner, what will tie together his flavor?  That really gets me steamed. I, for one, will always rail against such behavior - you're surely getting coal this Christmas.

Great. Now this thread is completely off track.

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

So I don’t think we will get an update this week surprise

At 10:57pm 2/24/16

6930 Backers totaling $966,017 averaging $139.396

Need 265 Backers for 1 Million

Need $33,983 for 1 Million

At this rate unless a huge surge comes in tomorrow and Friday morning will probably hit 1 million sat night, so no update till Monday.

Pledge Level      Backers                                Total

$1.00                    170                         $170.00

$39.00                   167                         $6,513.00

$54.00                   793                         $42,822.00

$69.00                   174                         $12,006.00

$84.00                  151                         $12,684.00

$99.00                   101                         $9,999.00

$109.00                 1372                      $149,548.00

$139.00                 3329                       $462,731.00

$249.00                 215                         $53,535.00

$299.00                 100                         $29,900.00

$399.00                 328                         $130,872.00

$499.00                 22                           $10,978.00

Total      $921,758.00

Difference of $44,259 for shipping, group buys and Art prints.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

ha. I wonder if we'll see a slight slow down right before $1million as people hold back momentarily hoping to be the one to put it over the edge. 

Yak Guardian
Yak Guardian's picture
Playtester

T-32766

Yak Guardian
(aka Michael)
R.I.P. Blake Washington

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Only  $30,000(about) from the mark!

I don't think I've seen it on the thread before, so I'll ask this: Who else is looking forward to taking OblivAeon heroes and fighting their villainous versions with them? I honestly can't wait to either beat Baron Blade with his future-self, or make him realize how much of a d1ck he was in the past.

Powerhound_2000

I am as I figure there will be some unique interactions similar to Omnitron and Omnitron-X

With Ambuscade, Baron Blade and La Capitan you have multiple choices.  

Pages