The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Your Setback strategy.

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

And I STILL can't get him to give us a ruling on that... OTHER thread...

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I'm cool I'd rather [REDACTED] than have rulings.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, we're not doing THAT either, so EHH

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

charlotteML

I finally got a chance to play as Setback yesterday (My friend got his kickstarter version of Vengance- I have to wait until distributors in the UK start to get it). I found the "go with whatever's useful at the time" method worked reasonably well, (managed to destroy Vengeful Blades self healing ongoing straight away, and then Turn of Eventing a turn or two later, much to my friends enjoyment) it ended up with me getting looking up into play and two karmic retributions in my hand at the same time right at the end of the game, with an incapacitated K.N.F.Y.E giving me an extra power and card play to get about 13 damage out over two turns, which ended the game before I got to use the other Karmic Retribution. I also found for the most part that I was getting pretty lucky with the cards played by Risk.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Ok, so I have been playing Setback a ton recently. He is quickly starting to become a favorite.

There is one setup that I'v been able to get going a few times now, and its just rediculous. 

Looking Up / High Risk Behavior / Wrong Time and Place

One game I had 5 tokens in pool to start the turn. High Risk made it 6. Then I played Cause and Effect. Destroyed 1 Enviro/Ongoing then smacked the Villain for 8 (6+2) damage, then I used Wrong Time and Place to redirect the 6 damage I would have dealt myself to the Villain again for 6 (after removing all my tokens). Then Looking Up adds 3 tokens back to the pool for 3+1 damage to the villain. 18 damage in one turn is not too shabby!

cmschex
Playtester

Foote wrote:

Ok, so I have been playing Setback a ton recently. He is quickly starting to become a favorite.There is one setup that I'v been able to get going a few times now, and its just rediculous. Looking Up / High Risk Behavior / Wrong Time and PlaceOne game I had 5 tokens in pool to start the turn. High Risk made it 6. Then I played Cause and Effect. Destroyed 1 Enviro/Ongoing then smacked the Villain for 8 (6+2) damage, then I used Wrong Time and Place to redirect the 6 damage I would have dealt myself to the Villain again for 6 (after removing all my tokens). Then Looking Up adds 3 tokens back to the pool for 3+1 damage to the villain. 18 damage in one turn is not too shabby!

I got this combo in a game against V5 - even with the multiple villain turns, Setback was always able to redirec (aided by Papa Lecay out of turn power use) but never got more than 10 token on the start of his turn.  It was awesome!

Sefirit

I really love Risk as a power, but I rarely ever use it if I have Looking Up in play.  Getting 3 tokens is fantastic.  My main strategy is to just generate as many as possible and spend them to play cards.  I ALWAYS choose to add to my pile when given the option to either add or remove.

One of my favorite moves was having 21 tokens in play with a Silver Lining and High Risk Behavior in play and then play Cause and Effect.  I destroyed an on-going card, did 28 damage to the enemy (21+7), then Killed my self and popped Silver Lining to come back to life with 21 hp (I think I only had 3 hp when all of this triggered).

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

One time I actually chose to reduce my unlucky tokens!  I had low health and High Risk Behavior.  Dropped myself below threshold to hang on a bit longer.

Other fun combos:

Looking Up + Sudden Inspiration -  Deal damage for two rounds, heal 6 and draw 6 cards.

Friendly Fire + Sudden Inspiration - have your allies "give" you cards.

High Risk Behavior x2 + Sudden Inspiration - Healing and card draw every round.  Add Unlucky Break and it becomes a tanking style.

Exceed Expectations + high Risk Behavior - Exceed damage thresholds.

Ally combos are even cooler.  Whoops! to kill a Bee Bot.  Turn of Events with Argent Adept.  Any self-damaging cards with Heroic Interception.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Donner wrote:

One time I actually chose to reduce my unlucky tokens!  I had low health and High Risk Behavior.  Dropped myself below threshold to hang on a bit longer.Other fun combos:Looking Up + Sudden Inspiration -  Deal damage for two rounds, heal 6 and draw 6 cards.Friendly Fire + Sudden Inspiration - have your allies "give" you cards.High Risk Behavior x2 + Sudden Inspiration - Healing and card draw every round.  Add Unlucky Break and it becomes a tanking style.Exceed Expectations + high Risk Behavior - Exceed damage thresholds.Ally combos are even cooler.  Whoops! to kill a Bee Bot.  Turn of Events with Argent Adept.  Any self-damaging cards with Heroic Interception.  

I was reading this, wondering what Sudden Inspiration is. Then i realized, Surprising Fortune.

Which I do agree! It is a super awesome card, and have been known to use it. Especially when getting 2 High Risk Behaviours, as mentioned in an earlier post I had made. It's a very nifty card, amazing it only cost 2 tokens to use too!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Lol!  My mistake.  Surprising Fortune. :D  And I saw that post about the High Risk Behaviors earlier, but wasn't so sure when I was writing my post.  So I posted all the things.  Thanks, Ronway!

squad

Would Setback benefit from Ra's combo of Flesh of the Sun God + Imbued Fire, in order to make Setback immune to all his self-damage?  Or would that cause him problems with taking advantage of his unlucky pool?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

squad wrote:

Would Setback benefit from Ra's combo of Flesh of the Sun God + Imbued Fire, in order to make Setback immune to all his self-damage?  Or would that cause him problems with taking advantage of his unlucky pool?

The only card that would be rendered useless is Friendly Fire, and that's only if the person doesn't have a way of changing their damage from Fire.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

A new strategy that saved our bacon last night:  vernal Sonata + Cash Out = 3 healing a round if you have the cards to spare.  Use Surprising Fortune to fuel cards for other players.

Pages