The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Your most frustrating hero to play?

162 posts / 0 new
Last post
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

MightySi wrote:

I'll agree that when trying to learn tricky heroes it definately helps to follow each and every step through to understand them, even if it makes a simple game take longer.  When you play a card and someone watching says instantly "net result of what you did is 3 healing for you, 22 damage dealt, next turn" or "find that card, play that card, do that" it kinda shortcuts the 'getting the hang of it' process. 

Definately agree. Figuring out your own stuff is vital - not saying that people shouldn't point out stuff you've forgotten, like you should take less damage because of Cryo Chamber or that you still have a card play left, but you can't learn effectively if someone just spoon-feeds you the answer. It's like doing your kid's homework for them because they don't understand it. Sure, the homework gets done, but the kid can't do the next one either.

And this is why I want to set up a regular weekly learning session on G+ on Wednesday evening/night for people to play heroes they haven't grokked yet. No expert-with-everyone players (sorry guys, I love you, but we don't need the pressure of you seeing our hideous mistakes even if you don't point and laugh), no telling each other what to do (helpful suggestions are fine). If you're interested in joining us, let me know!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oh man.  We've been through this before.

The short of it:  AZ doesn't need fixed.  He rocks.  Leave Ryan Frost Alone!!

MightySi
MightySi's picture

I'm not advocating a rewrite of AZ, I know there are people out there who dig Mr Frost the way he is and that's cool. There are sooooo many hero combinations in this cool lil game that everyone can find a character who works for them. 

That said... I don't enjoy Z to the point that when he shows up on the randomiser, I re-randomise him and get someone else!

Ironic
Ironic's picture

phantaskippy wrote:
Oh man.  We've been through this before. The short of it:  AZ doesn't need fixed.  He rocks.  Leave Ryan Frost Alone!!
How fortunate for you, phantaskippy, that I could do nothing to your use of Absolute Zero if I wanted to.  You have nothing to fear from me.

You may, however, find yourself distressed by threads explicitly about people having issues with certain heroes, if such opinions pose the threat you seem to believe.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Ironic wrote:

phantaskippy wrote:
Oh man.  We've been through this before. The short of it:  AZ doesn't need fixed.  He rocks.  Leave Ryan Frost Alone!!

How fortunate for you, phantaskippy, that I could do nothing to your use of Absolute Zero if I wanted to.  You have nothing to fear from me.You may, however, find yourself distressed by threads explicitly about people having issues with certain heroes, if such opinions pose the threat you seem to believe.

I'm sorry, that came across wrong, it seems that everytime someone makes a post like yours we end up with pages of rehashed debates that go back to the early days of this game, I have no problem with house-ruling heroes, just wanted to avert a firestorm of rehashing.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Don't be sad, Ryan Frost! Everyone... sort of... tolerates you!

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

phantaskippy wrote:
Ironic wrote:
 phantaskippy wrote:

How fortunate for you, phantaskippy, that I could do nothing to your use of Absolute Zero if I wanted to.  You have nothing to fear from me.You may, however, find yourself distressed by threads explicitly about people having issues with certain heroes, if such opinions pose the threat you seem to believe.

I'm sorry, that came across wrong, it seems that everytime someone makes a post like yours we end up with pages of rehashed debates that go back to the early days of this game, I have no problem with house-ruling heroes, just wanted to avert a firestorm of rehashing.

Agreed, let's try to keep the rehashing to a minimum.

I too don't enjoy AZ as much as some of the other heroes. I don't mind the maths, but like Ironic I find that he often has a handful of cards that aren't really useful since he's set up already, or has nothing in trash, leaving me with few interesting decisions. And I'm not keen on having to track how much damage he's dealt/been dealt, because it's extremely easy to forget about and frankly, not that interesting to me. But I don't mind him, to be honest.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ironic
Ironic's picture

phantaskippy wrote:
Perhaps I also overreacted.

So that this thread cannot be derailed, anyone who wants rehash old arguments can do so here.

"Is it a bird?"
"Is it a plane?"
"No... it's ironic!"

squad

mlangsdorf wrote:

I do think having the search cards from the BGG site is helpful - instead of having to go through the deck and compare each card, read a list with all of them and then pick the one you want. I need to get them printed out soon myself.

This sounds helpful.  Where is it on the BGG site?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

squad wrote:
This sounds helpful.  Where is it on the BGG site?

It's on a little known portion of BGG called Spiff's site! your first stop for all things Sentinels, accessory wise.

Yep, check Spiff's site even before you check the official site!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Careful, I was just told today by an eagle-eyed SotM fan that the Search Sheet for Wraith is missing her Micro-Targeting Computer.  I'm going to fix that and post an updated file tonight.  You may want to wait til tomorrow to print anything.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Pages