The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Yeah, I am SUPER late to the party

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture
Yeah, I am SUPER late to the party

So, I only discovered GTG and sentinels through a few random videos about trhe rpg started pack (which i bought asap). Now, my question is, now that the Sentinels card game is "done", would it be pointless to jump in now? I mean, I really wanna try it, but if it's going to slowly vanish from the public consciousness, i don't want to "waste" my money.

thanks.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’m sure people will continue to play this for a while and GtG is still doing print runs.    If you don’t want to buy the physical game you can always be the video game version for Steam, iOS, or Android.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I’m sure people will continue to play this for a while and GtG is still doing print runs.    If you don’t want to buy the physical game you can always be the video game version for Steam, iOS, or Android.  

I'm a big fan of physical products (comics, novels, etc), but I will give that a shot as well.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I don't think it's going to fade! It's been continuing to sell for some time, and there are plans for a revamped base set with all new art.

There's also the upcoming Sentinels of Earth-Prime: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1780208966/sentinels-of-earth-prime

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

dpt wrote:

I don't think it's going to fade! It's been continuing to sell for some time, and there are plans for a revamped base set with all new art. There's also the upcoming Sentinels of Earth-Prime: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1780208966/sentinels-of-earth-prime

OH! I guess I am completely out of the loop.  So, if they are redoing the art for the base set, should I just wait?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I personally prefer to jump in at the end--then you know what the whole set is like.  Some series improve in quality as they go (e.g. SotM, for the most part), some get worse (not to point fingers).

The art redo is a pipe dream right now.  Adam has a very long list of other things he needs to do first.  It'll probably be several years down the line at best.  I don't recommend waiting.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

MindWanderer wrote:

I personally prefer to jump in at the end--then you know what the whole set is like.  Some series improve in quality as they go (e.g. SotM, for the most part), some get worse (not to point fingers).The art redo is a pipe dream right now.  Adam has a very long list of other things he needs to do first.  It'll probably be several years down the line at best.  I don't recommend waiting.

The end? Like which set should I "start" with?

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Here’s my two cents:

I don’t think that Sentinels is ever going to fade.  I expect that Sentinels of Earth-Prime is going to be the first of many spin-offs.  With GtG’s acquisition of Cheapass making the board game community news, the Sentinels engine may attract the attention of other licenses.  Maybe even some Licenses.  With a capital ‘L.’  And since we already know that early planning has begun on Earth-Prime sequels (based on some wording in the Kickstarter posts as well as a homebrew/adapter’s instinct), we’re already guaranteed to stir up the content pot for most of the coming decade.  With there being so, so many off-brand superhero continuities in the field of games alone, I think we can count on a couple more licensed products.  And the number of possible licensed mini-expansions is endless.  The limiting factor is literally Christopher’s willpower and love of the Sentinels system, and those will be around for a while yet.

Suppose I’m wrong, though, and Earth-Prime is a complete disaster, preventing all other possible licenses.  Christopher and Adam quit GtG, become mad scientists, and propel themselves into the moon due to a tragic mass miscalculation in their doomsday device.  There is no more official Sentinels content.  Ever.  Fortunately, there’s a thriving homebrew community already, and even when Christoper’s suddenly-cosmonautical brain runs out of new ideas, that homebrew community will pick up where the official content left off, probably to slow-claps.  Maybe not all the homebrew stuff is as good, but a lot of homebrewers pride themselves on throughly testing their content (myself included, which is why none of you knew about my secret until now), and the Sentinels engine will be able to coast for at least a decade.

Either way, Sentinels will have officially made it to The Next Generation, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that any game that can survive that long has a good shot at becoming a Timeless Classic.  After all, the rich, continuous lore, exciting setting, and rock-solid, unique gameplay of Sentinels is something to be remembered.  I have never played a fully cooperative game that has been this consistently fun and fresh.  But from the moment I first realized how Absolute Zero worked, I knew that I had found a game that was neither mindless nor esoteric, that felt fresh and exciting every time, built on a system that was made to ignite the imagination and forge new friendships.

TL;DR- Yeah, I think it’s worth the investment.  That said, Adam would probably appreciate if you waited for the new art version.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

Melanie_Shaman wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:
I personally prefer to jump in at the end--then you know what the whole set is like.  Some series improve in quality as they go (e.g. SotM, for the most part), some get worse (not to point fingers).The art redo is a pipe dream right now.  Adam has a very long list of other things he needs to do first.  It'll probably be several years down the line at best.  I don't recommend waiting.

The first box set.  

https://store.greaterthangames.com/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-core-game.html?category_id=9

When we say it’s ended it just means that Greater than Games is no longer going to make any more expansions for it.   It’s a complete and huge game with a ton of expansions and replayabilty.   It’s not gonna fade away anytime soon. 

Instead they are going to be licensing the card system out to other companies to make games(like Sentnels of Earth Prime) and working in other games both in the universe(Prime War(a tactical games),  the RPG and some other projects)) as well as games not tied to Sentinels Comics.  

It’s really a great game with a tone of lore.  The head writer and artist to a really fun podcast where they discuss the lore in detail which is also worth a listen if those are your thing. 

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

The Mariner wrote:

Fortunately, there’s a thriving homebrew community already, and even when Christoper’s suddenly-cosmonautical brain runs out of new ideas, that homebrew community will pick up where the official content left off, probably to slow-claps.  Maybe not all the homebrew stuff is as good, but a lot of homebrewers pride themselves on throughly testing their content (myself included, which is why none of you knew about my secret until now), and the Sentinels engine will be able to coast for at least a decade.

TL;DR- Yeah, I think it’s worth the investment.  That said, Adam would probably appreciate if you waited for the new art version.

You have my attention!! 

Maybe I will buy the first box just to get to know the game... hell IF I love it, i'll rebuy it with new art as well... I'm that person. ;)

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

The Mariner wrote:
 That said, Adam would probably appreciate if you waited for the new art version.

While there has been some rumor about a new art version,  I suspect that is a long time away.  I’d just in now.  

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

Nilus wrote:

Melanie_Shaman wrote:
 MindWanderer wrote:

The first box set.   https://store.greaterthangames.com/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-core-game.html?category_id=9 When we say it’s ended it just means that Greater than Games is no longer going to make any more expansions for it.   It’s a complete and huge game with a ton of expansions and replayabilty.   It’s not gonna fade away anytime soon. Instead they are going to be licensing the card system out to other companies to make games(like Sentnels of Earth Prime) and working in other games both in the universe(Prime War(a tactical games),  the RPG and some other projects)) as well as games not tied to Sentinels Comics.  It’s really a great game with a tone of lore.  The head writer and artist to a really fun podcast where they discuss the lore in detail which is also worth a listen if those are your thing. 

okay, okay...I'm sold.

Rupert

Definitely jump in with the base set - you will be buying the rest in no time.

I'm super late to the party too - missed the Oblivaeon Kickstarter, so I have to wait and wait and wait until all of the backers get their copy before mine will ship out :-(

Have a listen to "The Letters page" podcast - makes the game even more fun with the backstory and it's a great to listen too - makes my commute to work a good time sitting in traffic !!! Nearly caught up now - there's a lot of listening to be had !

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Just for record, the podcast is called “The Letters Page,” and it’s about a villain, a hero, an Absolute Zero...

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

The Mariner wrote:

Just for record, the podcast is called “The Letters Page,” and it’s about a villain, a hero, an Absolute Zero...

And a liquid once 

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

I'm also a new player. I had the app on my phone, and really got into earlier this year. Ended up buying both season passes for the video game. I got the physical game and few expansions for my birthday. I'm currently waiting for my OblivAeon preorder.

I also plan on running the RPG starter kit for a few friends whenever we can find the time.

Plus, when I discovered the Letters Page Podcast and learned more about the lore, it made me enjoy the game at least twice as much.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

This is simple: is you think the game is fun, get it. You can still play it 40 years from now regardless of the public consciousness!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The Mariner wrote:

I see what you did there. cool yes

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

People will be playing Sentinels for a very long time. It's a fantastic game, with an almost unlimited number of game combinations to try out. 

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

It’s never too late to play the card game!

look, even though the story is over and there won’t be new card game products released, the game is still one of the best coop products on the market and it has nearly endless replay value for years to come. 

Play it on digital to see if you dig it. But I’ll be playing this game for years to come because it’s really just that good. 

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

Okay, thanks everyone. I ordered the first/base (?) game yesterday. I'm actually super excited now lol

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Woohoo!!! cool

One of us! One of us! wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

The Mariner wrote:

A villain team, a hero team, and minor characters in-between.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Welcome to the party!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

It's kind of funny, all of this talk about the game, and the fact that i pulled out my Sentinels RPG starter kit again has inspired me a great deal. I am going to redraw (and in some cases draw for the first time) my entire universe of characters! I don't have an exact number at the moment, but it's well over 100 characters. I've got a lot of work to do! lol

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

Melanie_Shaman wrote:

It's kind of funny, all of this talk about the game, and the fact that i pulled out my Sentinels RPG starter kit again has inspired me a great deal. I am going to redraw (and in some cases draw for the first time) my entire universe of characters! I don't have an exact number at the moment, but it's well over 100 characters. I've got a lot of work to do! lol

That's awesome! I've always enjoyed coming up with cool superheroes for RPGs or myself, and Sentinels of the Multiverse (and to an extent Christopher and Adam) is what inspired me to start crafting a universe for all of them. I'm currently at just over 100, and plan on adding many more.

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

Basketkeep wrote:

Melanie_Shaman wrote:

That's awesome! I've always enjoyed coming up with cool superheroes for RPGs or myself, and Sentinels of the Multiverse (and to an extent Christopher and Adam) is what inspired me to start crafting a universe for all of them. I'm currently at just over 100, and plan on adding many more.

Very cool!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Just 100? ;)

I kid, of course; that's really awesome.
However, I might just direct you over to The Big Villain Thread in the SCRPG forum, and my ongoing Villain of the Day series.

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Just 100? ;)

I kid, of course; that's really awesome.
However, I might just direct you over to The Big Villain Thread in the SCRPG forum, and my ongoing Villain of the Day series.

WELL OVER 100...:P

I will check it out.

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

I didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone will see this. Got my box today! SOOO much stuff! I AM, however, a little confused. I sorted all the decks, and what i have left is a pair of Citizen Dawn cards... her villain cards, and then, seperate, I have a deck labeled "Rise". Is that for her? or am I missing something? 

thanks

EDIT NEVERMIND. I looked through the deck a little closer and realized it IS her deck. sorry.

I told my housemate about Sentinels, and she said we should try it. There are 5 of us in the house so we could definitely get a full group.

Edit again... I HAVE to sleeve these! Can someone reccomend sleeves for me? I did a forum search, and there are two or three suggestions, but I'd like to know what is the best.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

Cool thanks a bunch!

Godai
Godai's picture

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU5F7U0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fBjEBbPR1GD7V" rel="nofollow">http://KMC 100 pochettes Card Barrier Perfect Size Soft Sleeves, 3 Packs/Total 300 pochettes [Komainu-Dou Original Package] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU5F7U0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fBjEBbPR1GD7V

these are what I just resleeved the entire collection with. They fit pretty snug, with just a little overhang on the edges. Really nice shuffles, nothing to get bent or snagged. 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I use Fantasy Flight. They are all very uniform in size, great quality, and fit perfectly. (They're a bit tall for some of the boxes, but they fit beautifully in the collectors box. And you can always trim down the top if you want)

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Rupert

The Mayday standard premiums are good, and fit in the box. I switched out my FFG sleeves for these and am happy (I use FFG for most of my games).

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Melanie_Shaman wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:

I see you already got the Core Set, which is obviously the best place to start. Not sure if you're still looking for advice on this, but my recommended order for buying expansions would be as such:

1) Your first expansion should either be the Rook City/Infernal Relics compilation or the Shattered Timelines/Wrath of the Cosmos compilation. Each of these is a combination of two "standard" expansions that I don't believe are sold separately anymore (I could be wrong on this). Each contains a total of 4 heroes, 8 villains, and 4 environments. Personally, I prefer Shattered Timelines/Wrath of the Cosmos, though you really can't go wrong with either.

2) After that, it's a question of what you want- do you want more of the same? Get the other compilation expansion. Do you want to try team villains? Go with Vengeance- the team villain format is somewhat divisive, so I suggest this over Villains of the Multiverse as Vengeance comes with 5 heroes and 2 environments that can still be used for standard play if you end up being one of those that doesn't enjoy the team villain format. The downside to this is that Vengeance only comes with five villain decks, so if you use a full party of five heroes, you're always going to be fighting the same team. Meanwhile, Villains has 10 team villain decks and 4 environments.

3) Once you have around 20 heroes or so, I strongly recommend getting the alternate heroes pack- they really add a lot of options to the game, and effect the way heroes play more than you might think at first glance (some are only subtle, but others completely change how you effectively use a hero).

4) You should have a fairly sizeable collection before you consider Oblivaeon- you don't need everything, but the more you have, the better it works as it actually plays off being able to bring numerous heroes in rather than just H heroes. That being said, even if you're ignoring the Oblivaeon mode completely, it still has 5 heroes (all of which are villains from previous sets- some redeemed, others forced to team up with those they know they'll eventually be fighting once more) and 5 environments which can be used in any mode.

5) Oversized Villain set. If you don't care about asethetics, this is probably one of the last things you'll want- the only thing it adds gameplay-wise is six variant villains- two for the core set villains, and one each for the four standard expansions- they certainly add some interesting options, but value-wise I'd think you'd be better off putting the money toward a mini-expansion or two. That being said, if you're in it for the artwork, you may want to bump this up higher- some of the earlier villains really show how much Adam has improved his art since they first began, especially the core set villains. Though I repeat: If you don't care about the art, it really is the last thing I suggest picking up.

?) Miniexpansions... There's 11 of these that are one deck each, and then there's Void Guard which adds four new heroes (a separate deck for each character that was part of The Sentinels hero deck in Vengeance). I'm not putting them at the bottom because I suggest getting them last, but really because I don't see a particularly good spot to place them in the list.

Melanie_Shaman
Melanie_Shaman's picture

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

Melanie_Shaman wrote:
 MindWanderer wrote:

snip

Excellent run down! I joined the Discord today and have been chatting with the lovely people there, but i will keep this list in mind. I found out a character that strikes me as very interesting, is in Rook City, so I will definitely expand there first.