The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Wrath of the Cosmos Pre-Order Event

766 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

kuntokinte wrote:

Pre-ordered.. and posted my first post on this forum. : )

Greetings! What better way to announce yourself, even. smiley

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Welcome! And beware the train puns!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Silverleaf wrote:

Don't you dare…

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Munchkin305 wrote:

Do we have any idea what happened to Absolution that seems to have shattered it? I can only assume something to do with Apostate since her PW costume seems to be a mix of Normal Fanatic and Redeemer Fanatic.

Like Ronway said, Absolution was shattered during a battle with Citizen Truth. 

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

Foote wrote:

Munchkin305 wrote:
Do we have any idea what happened to Absolution that seems to have shattered it? I can only assume something to do with Apostate since her PW costume seems to be a mix of Normal Fanatic and Redeemer Fanatic.

Like Ronway said, Absolution was shattered during a battle with Citizen Truth. 

Is that supposed to be some sort of metaphor or symbolism? Like absolution is destroyed by truth. Who knows?
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

imprimis5 wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

Don't you dare…

Hey! I didn't do anything!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

imprimis5 wrote:
 Silverleaf wrote:

Don't you dare…

Hey! I didn't do anything!

Yet.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

DJForeclosure

Super awesome: pre-ordering new SotM expansion.

Slightly sad: there goes the box I built... totally won't have space for the new expansion. T_T

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

if I order two copies (one for a friend to save on shipping) are they counted as one pre-order ortwo?

Also, this looks amazing!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

UXM266 wrote:
if I order two copies (one for a friend to save on shipping) are they counted as one pre-order ortwo?
Two copies, and you get two sets of promos as well, according to the >G Twitter feed.
MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Just over 24 hours in, and we're already at the half way mark!

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

MigrantP wrote:

Spiff wrote:
 Ario wrote:
I read it the opposite way, interpreteing "effect" as "card text," and not just the gain of the Haka in question. Also I found Haka of Shielding useful, especially with Tempest and Fanatic's new powers, with this team, even more so than regeneration. 

Wait, so maybe when Haka plays his Haka card on someone else, it's the someone else who gets to draw then discard all the cards for the effect?  I would love for that to be the way it works since it means Haka doesn't need to be continually discarding when he plays a bunch of Hakas, but I'll be surprised if that's actually how it's supposed to work.

Yeah, I don't see how it can work that way. The "Haka of" cards do not say "Haka draws" or "Haka discards" -- the only mention of Haka is in the second part, e.g. "Increase damage dealt by Haka..." Furthermore, the power allows you to choose any target, not just heroes. The first part of the "Haka of" cards would be nonsensical applied to an environment or villain card.

That's a good point, I hadn't noticed that it can be applied to any target, but it still seems to me that the "effect" of the card is to: 

a. Draw Cards 

b. Discard Cards 

c. Gain some benefit related to the number of cards discarded 

instead of just (c.).  I view it as similar to Syntactic Analysis in terms of affecting another hero (although that card does explicitly spell out that the other hero does the drawing.) 

Given the problems that can arise if you play it on a non-hero character card target, the card is probably meant to be played your way with Haka doing the drawing and discarding, however until that is made clear I think I will play it with the new target drawing and discarding because it is more fun for me. 

Thematically it probably makes more sense your way to because it is as though Haka is performing the Haka on behalf of someone else (instead of teaching it to them.) 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Drawing and discarding are not the effects. They are the requirements. Haka performs the requirements. Another hero (may) gain the effect, which is to regain HP or whatever.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

McBehrer wrote:

Drawing and discarding are not the effects. They are the requirements. Haka performs the requirements. Another hero (may) gain the effect, which is to regain HP or whatever.

That's almost surely the correct interpretation, although there's never been any official demarcation between requirements and effects, and it's a reasonable interpretation to think that the effect of playing the card is that the text on the card is invoked, which would make all of the text on the card the effect.  Reasonable, but probably not what's intended (which is too bad).

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

That's one interpretation. Unfortunately, SotM doesn't officially distinguish requirements from effects. A more formalized "requirement" would be followed by something like "If you do, then...", which isn't the case. (Or be more structurally represented, as in Magic the Addiction.)

Personally, I think thematically the intention is for Haka to draw and discard, then allow another to get the last part. Mechanically, though, we don't have anything on the card but the effect (the entire card), so I think the other hero will draw, discard, and get the last part.

Because I forcus more on thematic aspects, I'll be playing that way (until I hear differently from an official source). cool

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Spiff wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

That's almost surely the correct interpretation, although there's never been any official demarcation between requirements and effects, and it's a reasonable interpretation to think that the effect of playing the card is that the text on the card is invoked, which would make all of the text on the card the effect.  Reasonable, but probably not what's intended (which is too bad).

But there is a difference between cause/effect or trigger/effect that is common in SotM. I agree with you both that I think this is the intent though. I think the "apply effect" wording is important. Maybe you can't "apply" the effect of drawing/discarding, but you can apply the effects of +damage and +healing and +DR. Maybe thats where the difference is.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Also, here's that important distinction between heroes and players drawing/playing cards you wanted, Foote!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

McBehrer wrote:

Also, here's that important distinction between heroes and players drawing/playing cards you wanted, Foote!

ARGH! I was really hoping you were not gonna catch that and bring it up cheeky

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I just hope the eventual printed promo does make it clearer which of the two interpretations is intended.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm itching for an update on the unlocked environment or more information about WotC itself. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Tegulus

Will order this just as soon as my napping daughter doesn't have me pinned. Can't. Reach. Wallet. 

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I'm itching for an update on the unlocked environment or more information about WotC itself. 

Don't forget to refresh every five seconds. It helps time move faster... Somehow. Dr. Stinson assured me.

Powerhound_2000

That's what I've been doing but I'm having the opposite effect. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Effect*

Also...

Foote wrote:

McBehrer wrote:

ARGH! I was really hoping you were not gonna catch that and bring it up cheeky

Nope. Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too quick. I would catch it.

-- Trajector

chainsawrabbit
chainsawrabbit's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

That's what I've been doing but I'm having the opposite affect. 

Powerhound, I'm right there with you.

Must have news!  The bigger problem for me is, I'm going to be leaving work early today and won't be near a computer again until late tonight.  If we don't get an update before then, I just know it's going to be gnawing at me the whole time.

We're at 890 copies sold as I write this.  I think we're going to break 1,000 by the end of the day.  Anyone have any guesses as to whether or not the >G guys have further "stretch goals" planned after the current list, just in case?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too quick. I would catch it.

(Nicely done, sir. )

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

chainsawrabbit wrote:

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
That's what I've been doing but I'm having the opposite affect. 

Powerhound, I'm right there with you.Must have news!  The bigger problem for me is, I'm going to be leaving work early today and won't be near a computer again until late tonight.  If we don't get an update before then, I just know it's going to be gnawing at me the whole time.We're at 890 copies sold as I write this.  I think we're going to break 1,000 by the end of the day.  Anyone have any guesses as to whether or not the >G guys have further "stretch goals" planned after the current list, just in case?

Before I say anything, let me make it clear: I am not part of Greater Than Games, and this post is entirely speculation.

I'm betting they're pretty busy with Sentinel Tactics right now; I'm guessing that they've begun preparing them to ship, as the Kickstarter for that said that the ship to addresses would be finalized a few hours ago.

Also for further stretch goals, as much as I'd love to see such, I really doubt it. Assuming we hit all stretch goals, there will be three mini-expansions; judging by the mini-expansions that are already out, once they're available for purchase seperately, the environment will probably be 4 USD, and the hero and villain will probably be 5 USD each. This means that if they hit the 1.5k mark, they'll essentially be giving away 14 USD worth of stuff (not counting the promo cards and art prints) for each 20 USD purchase... That's already some pretty strong incentive right now.

chainsawrabbit
chainsawrabbit's picture

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

Also for further stretch goals, as much as I'd love to see such, I really doubt it. Assuming we hit all stretch goals, there will be three mini-expansions; judging by the mini-expansions that are already out, once they're available for purchase seperately, the environment will probably be 4 USD, and the hero and villain will probably be 5 USD each. This means that if they hit the 1.5k mark, they'll essentially be giving away 14 USD worth of stuff (not counting the promo cards and art prints) for each 20 USD purchase... That's already some pretty strong incentive right now.

I see your point, and agree with you, but the stretch goals were pretty insane for the Shattered Timelines and Sentinel Tactics Kickstarters.  They wouldn't be doing things that way if it was hurting the company.

The more units they print, up to a point, reduces their total cost per unit, opening up their profit margins for additional stretch goals.  This isn't counting the number of units they'll move of the expansion and associated mini-expansions at general retail, which won't include the cost of the art prints.

Make no mistake, I am 300% happy with what they're currently offering.  I'm so excited about more SotM, but the early launch of Sentinel Tactics will tide me over until it lands on my doorstep.  I just like wild speculation.

Besides, Chrono-Ranger, Omnitron-X, Parse, The Scholar, The Naturalist, The Sentinels, and K.N.Y.F.E. don't have any promos, and we don't want anyone to feel left out, do we?  Not to mention, I would squeal with delight if Citizen Dawn got a promo.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Omnitron IV is an Environment?!?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Ha HA! O-IV rocks my world.

TheSoundOfTrees

Fighting Omnitron with Omnitron in Omnitron ? I can't wait !

Any view of things that is not strange is false - Neil Gaiman

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Here's the link, since GtG made a mistake in getting out so much awesomeness:

https://greaterthangames.com/content/well-over-500-copies-preordered

Rath
Playtester

chainsawrabbit wrote:

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

I see your point, and agree with you, but the stretch goals were pretty insane for the Shattered Timelines and Sentinel Tactics Kickstarters.  They wouldn't be doing things that way if it was hurting the company.The more units they print, up to a point, reduces their total cost per unit, opening up their profit margins for additional stretch goals.  This isn't counting the number of units they'll move of the expansion and associated mini-expansions at general retail, which won't include the cost of the art prints.Make no mistake, I am 300% happy with what they're currently offering.  I'm so excited about more SotM, but the early launch of Sentinel Tactics will tide me over until it lands on my doorstep.  I just like wild speculation.Besides, Chrono-Ranger, Omnitron-X, Parse, The Scholar, The Naturalist, The Sentinels, and K.N.Y.F.E. don't have any promos, and we don't want anyone to feel left out, do we?  Not to mention, I would squeal with delight if Citizen Dawn got a promo.

Man, now I want to see what the Sentinels promos would be, and whether it'd be all or nothing or mix n' match.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, he's really something all right...

-- Trajector

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

So I is the original, II is Cosmic, IV is this, and V is in Tactics... What happened to III?

EDIT: Nevermind, got an answer on the update comments.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

So I is the original, II is Cosmic, IV is this, and V is in Tactics... What happened to III?

Omni-Blade!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Omnitron III is Omni-Blade, featured in Baron Blade's Vengeance deck; the bio for Omnitron-IV mentions this.

youperguy

Wow that is the most exciting environment ever. I am pumped for Omnitron IV.

soul31

This is insane.  I wanted to preorder one for me and one for friend to split the costs of the shipping which i thought could be a little high but then we saw actual price and ... i fainted a little. Its 60$, three times of thing were buying... There is no some trick or something this time? Like someone preordering it to some cheap place to europe and send it to everyone or something? I were steadfast fan of sotm to this day(kickstarted shattered timelines and tactics with help of ppl from this forum, buying all other expansions in flgs, buying errata cards) but more shipping  costs than tactics? One box full of cards shipping cost, costing more than 4 boxes - two full of plastic, how this can weigh and cost EVEN MORE? It seems leaving kickstart was not a good day for europe fans.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

-- Trajector

bessyrocks12
bessyrocks12's picture
Playtester

Wager-Master is here! The question is... do you feel lucky?

(Pun over)

BuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBuddaBudda

“Heh, pow. Sound effects are the best.” –The Idealist

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Hmmm where have I seen him before...very interesting indeed! 

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

He's adorable!

Powerhound_2000

I imagine both the players and Wager Master have a win condition in games with him that don't rely solely on incapacitating each other. 

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

It's the little SotM Mr. Mxyzptlk I've always wanted. :-)

BaloTheJester
BaloTheJester's picture

@Chainsawrabbit: Actually, the insane Kickstarter rewards for Shattered Timelines caused GTG to lose money (along with the flat-rate shipping they did for Kickstarters). Obviously not enough to keep them from keeping on, but they did themselves some damage, which is why the GSF and Sentinel Tactics Kickstarters were a lot more modest with their stretch rewards.

Re: Wager Master: I didn't even realize we were missing that type of villain, and now that he's here I am the definition of the word "excite." Now that I can sometimes take down the Dreamer I suspect I have a new bar to jump over...

“We've always known we'd eventually be called upon to open our shirts and save the day, and the superhero was a crude, hopeful attempt to talk about how we all might feel on that day of great power, and great responsibility.”
- Grant Morrison

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Dammit.  Now I want to know what forms Omnitron V through Omnitron IX had.  crying

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I honestly can't wait to be able to pre-order Wrath of the Cosmos, but I'm going to have to be one of those people who wait till the very end.  

I *just* started a new job, and won't get paid till the 1st of September!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Oaktree wrote:

Dammit.  Now I want to know what forms Omnitron V through Omnitron IX had.  crying

I'll bet, given the time, Christopher and Adam will be happy to show you.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

One of the expansions in Tactics will just be all the currently unknown Omnitrons.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Pages