The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The Wraith: A Reform Jew?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
beevolant
The Wraith: A Reform Jew?

From what the designers said at GenCon, The Wraith's alter-ego, Maia Adriana Montgomery is Jewish!

This leads me to question her level of observance. Clearly that costume is not very snyous/modest so my guess is that she is Reform. Would crime fighting be allowed on Saturdays?

"Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath"

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

She is indeed Jewish, though I'd say her observance level is not high. Reform Judaism is probably accurate - crime doesn't keep the Sabbath, and I imagine her "night life" makes getting to Synagogue on time difficult.

Tamar

Quote:
crime doesn't keep the Sabbath

Hahaha! This is my new battle cry when playing The Wraith.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

beevolant

Adam wrote:
crime doesn't keep the Sabbath

So good!

Although... saving lives /is/ allowed on Shabbat (doctors can get called into work in emergencies for example) so she could be mildly shomer shabbos (cue John Goodman in The Big Lebowski :P ).

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I love that "Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath" is an unofficial catchphrase now. It's really great to see that catch on.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

For defeating a kraken ... dayenu

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

That just made me snort my Squirt.

Tamar

Why is this villain different from all other villains?

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

As a kid, I always thought that was the setup to a joke, and was disappointed when no punchline came.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Adam wrote:
As a kid, I always thought that was the setup to a joke, and was disappointed when no punchline came.

Sydney Abrahams, an olympian for the UK, was concerned about remembering the appropriate Latin phrase to say when he was knighted. When the time came, he panicked and said the first non-English phrase that came into his head: "Ma nishtana ha leila hazeh"

The queen, puzzled, turned to her advisor and asked, "Why is this knight different from all other knights?"

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sadly, I don't get it. Is this because I'm not a Reform Jew?

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

WriterRyan wrote:
Sadly, I don't get it. Is this because I'm not a Reform Jew?

What a setup! Perhaps I'll let someone who knows him (or her?) tackle the question of why WriterRyan does or does not get 'it'.

the nice answer: The Hebrew is the same thing the queen says, except for the pun of night/knight

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

That is the funniest joke I've heard this week for sure.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I agree, it made me laugh out loud in the middle of my store. I got some looks.

Ryan, that phrase is part of the Seder, specifically part of a set of questions customarily asked by the youngest child that relate to the telling of the story of Moses' leading the Jews from slavery. It's not exclusive to Reform Judaism, but it's a very familiar phrase to anyone who grew up observing Passover.

Tamar

arenson9, That is hilarious!

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

Wait, so if the Wraith is Jewish, then why does her gravestone have a cross on it?

Grinnell College 2016

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Good question! Seems to me there are a few reasons for this:

While Maia is Jewish, The Wraith displays no outward clues that could give away her identity.

The grave is not actually her grave (as she's clearly not in it). It's more of the trope where a villain has dug a grave for their nemesis intending to place them within it.

Also, unadorned crosses, which is to say crosses rather than crucifixes, have more symbolism than just representing Christianity.

beevolant

WriterRyan wrote:
Also, unadorned crosses, which is to say crosses rather than crucifixes, have more symbolism than just representing Christianity.

A cross marking a grave is an American symbol (like how Santa Claus drinking Coca Cola is an American symbol) rather than a strictly 'Christian' symbol. However, it is an insult to Jews to have their graves marked with crosses (this is a Thing with Arlington National Cemetery that they are super into and aware of - my Great Grandfather, first graduating class of the Coast Guard Academy, is buried there with a big honking Star of David) which lends further credibility to the idea that it is not her grave.

I like to think that The Wraith is super into 90's Goth stuff and just hangs out in cemeteries - perhaps the entrance to her secret lair is hidden in a cemetery and incapacitated she is limping back?

Aside to areson9 - best joke ever.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

The secret lair entrance is very plausible. While we never specified what exactly is going on, I think it's that, or that a villain has dug the grave and put her name on it.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

As though it somehow matters, I vote the villain digging it scenario.