The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

"Worst" 3 hero team vs. Iron Legacy?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oaktree
Oaktree's picture
"Worst" 3 hero team vs. Iron Legacy?

Two of my last five solo games have turned out to be verses Iron Legacy at The Ruins of Atlantis.  I guess my dice just like that scenario.

First game was against Visionary, Haka, and... Legacy???

Game lasted 14 rounds and ended with a hero victory with no heroes incapacitated.  Game keyed (IMO) on Legacy getting Next Evolution and Lead From the Front in play early on - which negated most of Iron Legacy's attacks and granted the team time to removing IL's ongoing cards and prepare for a heavy onslaught to take him down.

I initially thought the team might be a little firepower light to deal with Iron Legacy.  But once it looked like the game was going to stretch out that allowed for some preparation.  Visionary had a few one-shots saved up; Haka had Rampage cards; and Legacy some one-shots as well in addition to Inspiring Presence in play.  And Legacy's non-melee attacks had been taken care of by a Twist The Ether play.

---

Second game was against Ra, Unity, and Absolute Zero

Game lasted 4 rounds.  Iron Legacy started with Galvanized, Galvanized, and Demoralizing Presence for +3 Damage inflicted and just pounded on the heroes.  A second Demorlizing Presence appeared in Round 3.  The Environment joined the fun by playing two Kraken tentacles and a Collapsing Hallway to speed the process.

I thought the second game was going to be trouble just based on the hero selection.  Two that needed fairly good draws to get started.  And IL's front-side EoT attack was going to be very hard on Unity's bots.  (In fact, once the Kraken started coming out I think the best strategy for the team was getting IL on his flip-side and go all-out ASAP.  Stop the AoE attack and also get IL potentially be the Kraken target.)  One IL's ongoings were drawn I figured it would be a short game since he would just roll out so much damage and the heroes in question could not win a fast slugfest.

And the heroes did not have bad initial draws.  Unity had a Pylon and a few bots (cryo and raptor); Ra had a Staff, and a few good one-shots; and AZ had his basic modules on hand - though an Impale and a Fueled Freeze might have been better for this sort of contest.

---

So, given the experiences above, what would probably be the worst three hero team to face Iron Legacy with?

I figure a trio of "support" heroes might lack the firepower to deal with IL and run his HP down fast enough.  And the trio of Bunker, AZ, and Unity would probably just not be able to build up fast enough to handle him.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I would say a team with no ongoing destruction is definitely at a disadvantage. Those who need a while to get set up will have similar problems. So maybe someone like the Adept, Ab'Zero, and Bunker or something...although Ab'Zero can destroy ongoings via Fuelled Freeze, if he can manage to turn up one. I suppose teams who can't let their other team members do stuff will also be lacking. Expatriette I can see having trouble, for example, plus she can't destroy ongoings either. Even if you have someone like Haka, who can do some pretty heavy pounding with the right cards, he's buggered if Iron Legacy gets out Superhuman Redirection and you've got no-one who can get rid of it.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Ameena wrote:

Expatriette I can see having trouble, for example, plus she can't destroy ongoings either.

Take a gander at RPG Launcher. wink

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Oh, I did think of that but thought it only worked on environment cards. Shows how often I play as Expatriette ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Finest Legacy, Youngest Legacy, and Greatest Legacy.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Reckless wrote:

Against Baron Blade though, those three are awesome.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Reckless wrote:

This is a great answer, because none of them have ongoing destruction.

Still, though, I'm curious what the worst trio against Iron Legacy are if you don't reuse the Legacy hero deck.

How about: Legacy, Haka, Bunker. Ignoring Bunker's alternate character card, is there ongoing destruction in any of those three decks?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Whatever the team is when I am playing.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Reckless wrote:

This is a great answer, because none of them have ongoing destruction.Still, though, I'm curious what the worst trio against Iron Legacy are if you don't reuse the Legacy hero deck.How about: Legacy, Haka, Bunker. Ignoring Bunker's alternate character card, is there ongoing destruction in any of those three decks?

Yeah, those three would be rough.  The minute IL got out superhuman redirection it would be done.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I'd say Mr Fixer, Scholar and Bunker. You only get ongoing destruction once fixer is dead and the only potential for considerable damage would be hiding bunker in a meteor shower while his omnicannon loads up. Scholar may be one of my favorites to play but he just does not shine in such a context especially if Iron Legacy goes advanced on them.

Honorable mention to Unity and especially Golem Unity as her bots only shine against Iron legacy with extremely close together Ground Pounds, Grease Guns, Hypersonic Assault and Heroic Interception... Thus she could take the place of bunker in my worst line up or take a part in for an awful 4 man line up.

Benhimself
Benhimself's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Reckless wrote:

This is a great answer, because none of them have ongoing destruction.Still, though, I'm curious what the worst trio against Iron Legacy are if you don't reuse the Legacy hero deck.How about: Legacy, Haka, Bunker. Ignoring Bunker's alternate character card, is there ongoing destruction in any of those three decks?

The Legacy Family would have a LOT of Damage Prevention, though... Iron Legacy wouldn't be nearly as threatening once one of them gets out Lead From The Front and Next Evolution, (and heroic interventions and take downs IN ALL 3 DECKS help you survive long enough to get there) and then you've got galvanized atomic glare and various thwokks and backfist strikes to try and whittle him down 4 at a time to work around superhuman redirection. And you've got Inspiring Presences in all three decks to help mitigate damage reduction.

It wouldn't be an EASY fight, but I don't think it'd be the worst team possible, by any means.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Benhimself wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
 Reckless wrote:

The Legacy Family would have a LOT of Damage Prevention, though... Iron Legacy wouldn't be nearly as threatening once one of them gets out Lead From The Front and Next Evolution, (and heroic interventions and take downs IN ALL 3 DECKS help you survive long enough to get there) and then you've got galvanized atomic glare and various thwokks and backfist strikes to try and whittle him down 4 at a time to work around superhuman redirection. And you've got Inspiring Presences in all three decks to help mitigate damage reduction.It wouldn't be an EASY fight, but I don't think it'd be the worst team possible, by any means.

The Iron Legacy counter to that is Demoralizing Presence.  Besides adding more to his damage bonus it also make the heroes hit *themselves* for psychic damage.  At which point Galvanize and Inspiring Presense works against the heroes.

byc
Playtester

Bunker, Unity, and Argent Adept.

Only Adept has ongoing removal.

All 3 needs setup for max effectiveness.

Neither of these 3 have an "I win" card against IL specifically (like Fanatic Wrathful Retribution, or Legacy's Next Evo/Lead From the Front combo, or Tempest's incap side, or a card or quick combo of cards that mostly shut down IL).

I'm comparing these heroes vs. IL in a vaccum individually.  These 3 heroes can still be critical against IL in a specific situation (like having Stealth Bot out to buy the 1 or 2 extra turns).

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Any of the Legacies are great for soaking damage from IL.  Get out Lead from the Front, Fortitude, and Superhuman Durability when IL has a few buffs and his 5 Melee damage a turn becomes 3-5 separate instances of 1 damage to Legacy (yes, this is a somewhat specific event with particular cards, but I can say that it is a load of fun IF you get those cards).  Even better if you just have Lead from the Front and Next Evolution!

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

byc wrote:
Bunker, Unity, and Argent Adept.Only Adept has ongoing removal.

Don't the bee-like bots give Unity ongoing removal?

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, Bee Bot can destroy one ongoing or environment card when destroyed (as well as dealing a small amount of damage).

I am the Wordweaver...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

That's actually a really good team. Bunker can deal consistant damage, and with all the ongoing cards that will be blowing up there will be some Ammo Drop fodder, at least for a while. Plus Engine of War can blow them up himself, as well.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

j1hopki1

Fixer, Scholar, Haka. It would be a long fight with all the damage reduction and healing, but you'd basically play for an hour and a half knowing you are going to lose.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

j1hopki1 wrote:

Fixer, Scholar, Haka. It would be a long fight with all the damage reduction and healing, but you'd basically play for an hour and a half knowing you are going to lose.

You don't have destruction, but you could win with that team (maybe not on advanced, but scholar can tank non-advanced IL pretty well)  Grease Gun and Ground Pound are great, and if you get Wrench/Mantis Fixer and Haka gets Taiaha it gets even better.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

j1hopki1 wrote:

Hmm.  Couldn't Scholar build up a big draw deck, run down his HP, have Energy Form in play, and play "Get Out of the Way" to unleash a couple of really heavy blasts?  Would obviously need IL to not have the redirect on-goings in play.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Get Out of the Way isn't great against Iron Legacy, unless you're in the Final Wasteland or something.

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

Katsue wrote:

Get Out of the Way isn't great against Iron Legacy, unless you're in the Final Wasteland or something.

Yes. Confusing it with "Know When To Turn Lose".  Need to verify card effects before I hit "SAVE".  :p

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Oaktree wrote:
Katsue wrote:

Yes. Confusing it with "Know When To Turn Lose".  Need to verify card effects before I hit "SAVE".  :p

"Know When to Turn Loose" doesn't have the healing effect that "Get Out of the Way" does, so the Energy Forms would be superfluous. I think "Know When to Turn Loose" is too damaging for future development for anything but a finishing move, and Iron Legacy's Superhuman Redirection would probably prevent that from working.
Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

dpt wrote:

"Know When to Turn Loose" doesn't have the healing effect that "Get Out of the Way" does, so the Energy Forms would be superfluous. I think "Know When to Turn Loose" is too damaging for future development for anything but a finishing move, and Iron Legacy's Superhuman Redirection would probably prevent that from working.

One thing I noticed from one of the Play-By-Forum battles against Iron Legacy was how effective Chrono Ranger was against him even with Superhuman Redirection in play.  With a couple of bounties and the right one-shots he was just hitting for 3 HP repeatedly and not triggering Superhuman Redirection while still doing a considerable amount of accumulative damage in his turn.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oaktree wrote:

dpt wrote:

One thing I noticed from one of the Play-By-Forum battles against Iron Legacy was how effective Chrono Ranger was against him even with Superhuman Redirection in play.  With a couple of bounties and the right one-shots he was just hitting for 3 HP repeatedly and not triggering Superhuman Redirection while still doing a considerable amount of accumulative damage in his turn.

He is wonderful for IL.  By any means is awesome, and his multiple hits for low damage are ideal when teamed with Legacy