The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Will we get the other 2 map tiles?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester
Will we get the other 2 map tiles?

So missed the Kickstarter, but snatched up the base game as soon as I could. Loving this game so much, and can't wait to bring it to my game nights (learning it first so I can teach it).

But had a quick question: the 5/6 player game options, are we going to get the other map tiles to add to the modular board, or is that only an option with the 50$ player mat? That seems to be the only case I can see, but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything, such as they were included in the 5/6 player token set or included in the expansion.

I would love to have the E/F (and south west/south east) tiles to add to our game!

Please, Mr Reuss, if you see this, don't take it as a criticism, just a curiosity! This game is incredible, and I'm only wondering what all I can buy to make it an even better experience!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

You haven’t missed anything. There are only four map tiles at the moment.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

Balanced boards E/F don't yet exist in any form whatsoever - candidates are in playtesting. (Paul's mentioned the intent is for the new expansion to offer 5/6-player support, so I can mention that. :)

Southeast/Southwest have been designed[1], so got put on the playmat, because making 4-board playmats (when the other 2 boards were known + done) seemed unfriendly both to gamers who bought them and to the environment for all the waste it'd generate. However, they don't yet exist as modular boards.

[1] = E/W/SE/SW were the first 4 thematic boards created; I figured I'd design NE and NW if/when an expansion for 5-6p happened. But then >G asked me to figure out the canonical homes of each Spirit (or "last seen at..."s, for the more mobile Spirits), and it turned out that several spirits from the base game / initial promos were best suited to be on NE/NW, whereas SE/SW had *no* Spirits from the base game. So I designed NE/NW, and they replaced SE/SW as the thematic boards included in the core game.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Eric R wrote:

[1] = E/W/SE/SW were the first 4 thematic boards created; I figured I'd design NE and NW if/when an expansion for 5-6p happened. But then >G asked me to figure out the canonical homes of each Spirit (or "last seen at..."s, for the more mobile Spirits), and it turned out that several spirits from the base game / initial promos were best suited to be on NE/NW, whereas SE/SW had *no* Spirits from the base game. So I designed NE/NW, and they replaced SE/SW as the thematic boards included in the core game.

This creates a question I didn't know I was going to ask. A couple of them, actually:

1) Will spirits for the new expansion (For now, call it Fire & Ice?) have "homes" in the SE/SW? Of the spirits in playtesting, are there any of them who have that as a consideration?

2) What do you think the likelihood is that the playmat might get reprinted to reflect the newly-added spirits?

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

Eric R wrote:

Balanced boards E/F don't yet exist in any form whatsoever - candidates are in playtesting. (Paul's mentioned the intent is for the new expansion to offer 5/6-player support, so I can mention that. :)Southeast/Southwest have been designed[1], so got put on the playmat, because making 4-board playmats (when the other 2 boards were known + done) seemed unfriendly both to gamers who bought them and to the environment for all the waste it'd generate. However, they don't yet exist as modular boards.[1] = E/W/SE/SW were the first 4 thematic boards created; I figured I'd design NE and NW if/when an expansion for 5-6p happened. But then >G asked me to figure out the canonical homes of each Spirit (or "last seen at..."s, for the more mobile Spirits), and it turned out that several spirits from the base game / initial promos were best suited to be on NE/NW, whereas SE/SW had *no* Spirits from the base game. So I designed NE/NW, and they replaced SE/SW as the thematic boards included in the core game.

That makes a lot of sense and answers pretty much every one of my questions. Thank you very much! I look forward to seeing where this games goes and what ideas you come up with!

(And somewhere deep deep down in my heart I'm still hoping to see Akash'bhuta rise to defend the island at some point! :) )

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

This creates a question I didn't know I was going to ask. A couple of them, actually:

1) Will spirits for the new expansion (For now, call it Fire & Ice?) have "homes" in the SE/SW? Of the spirits in playtesting, are there any of them who have that as a consideration?

2) What do you think the likelihood is that the playmat might get reprinted to reflect the newly-added spirits?

1) New Spirits will have "homes" wherever on the island seems appropriate based on their nature / backstory, the geography of the island, and how their starting land instructions interact with the terrains/land#s on specific boards.

2) No idea; that's a question for Paul.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

#2 is definitely possible, but we don't have any specific plans for it yet. If it does happen, it is likely to be a thing we do on the expansion Kickstarter.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

So I introduced my wife to it today, and she loved it! We had a small difference of opinion. I like the power progression cards for starting out, and she prefers the choice of draw 4 keep 1. Two questions came from this:

1) can we use either/or, or does it have to be both or neither?

2) will we ever see suggested power progressions for any other than the "Low 4"?

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

For your first question, I think having one player do the progression and another doing the draw four would only be a potential problem if you are playing two spirits who use the same or similar elements. Then you have half a dozen minor powers that the second spirit wants that aren't in the deck. But if you're playing River and Lightning, for example, I think it should be fine.

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

1. Either/or is 100% fine.

2. Nope. They're not "suggested"; they were originally all based off of genuine draw-4-keep-1 passes through the deck that I did. (Then tweaked, of course, because one card can't be in a progression for 2 Spirits, and to make sure Major thresholds got hit so that players could see how those worked.) They're not meant to represent anything canonical or optimal, merely mimic reasonable choices that might be made during an actual game.

(The purpose of the Power Progression is entirely to avoid players having to evaluate 4 different Power Cards against each other while learning.)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh, so that's the rationale! I have to admit I've wondered about the occasional card placement, or lack thereof. But that makes sense. :)