The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Why three Sectors?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
Why three Sectors?

I'm curious about the decision to have three Sectors per game.  I don't question it, I'm just curious to hear about why three was chosen.  What happens if you use two or four or five Sectors?  Does the game get too long or too short?  Is it too easy or hard for the Opposition to win by overrunning things?  Would running a game with more or less Sectors make for a fun variant, or has it pretty much been determined that anything but three isn't much fun?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I know in early playtesting they were using sectors based on the number of pilots the players were using. As to why exactly it was set to a fixed 3 isn't something i'm sure of. Somethings I think is possibly table space, easier to divide sector cards, and to limit the options as to where they could go.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Do we know how the game plays with different numbers of Sectors?  More fun but more complicated?  Too broken?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Full disclosure: I haven't played with anything but three sectors.

There's a lot going on with three sectors to keep track of. Not only that, but the thinner you spread your ships, the harder the game gets (at least, that's my opinion). It seems that adding another sector not only complicates things significantly more, but it would make things much harder strategically.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

imprimis5 wrote:

Full disclosure: I haven't played with anything but three sectors.There's a lot going on with three sectors to keep track of. Not only that, but the thinner you spread your ships, the harder the game gets (at least, that's my opinion). It seems that adding another sector not only complicates things significantly more, but it would make things much harder strategically.

Agreed.  Setting up for three sectors consistently makes for a pretty strategic and challenging game.  I think if it got up to four or five the game would be much more complicated and would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

There's also the fact that the game takes up even more space than Sentinels, right now. Having it go up to 6 sectors would be RIDICULOUS, in terms of space needed.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector