The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

why is broken city not selling as well as villians?

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
morph147
why is broken city not selling as well as villians?

Looking at the numbers villians has been selling about 5-6 more times as broken city. I wonder what people are seeing that concerns them with sentinel tactics that they are not purchasing yet. Its a great game the biggest issue I have been having is finding other humans to play it half the time.

My opioion is with how much there is to order there are a lot of people who ordered villians first and once they get paid they will order the tactics stuff.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Sotm is an older and better known product than tactics. That's probably a factor as well.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Tactics Is also more expensive, $40 dollers, and then if you want minutures than another $30-$90 for each set.

I am consedering Buying Tactics now that I have watched the Twitch feed from Pax South

But it is an investment of $130 per set if you want the painted mintures

Compared to $40 a set for SOTM

And then you have the new maps at $20 a pop

It is alot of money 

It looks cool, and would be great to play. but your talking a sizeable investment to get all the sets up to $500

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Just note that while the minis (especially the painted ones) are awesome as hell, you really don't need them to make the most out of A Tactics purchas. The game is a huge favorite in my game groups and I don't have minis. It would be a shame for folks to pass on tactics just because they can't get minis. Missing out big time. 

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

Just note that while the minis (especially the painted ones) are awesome as hell, you really don't need them to make the most out of A Tactics purchas. The game is a huge favorite in my game groups and I don't have minis. It would be a shame for folks to pass on tactics just because they can't get minis. Missing out big time. 

That is good to know, I was not sure how well it played without them. So once I get pay then I will have to order it then.

morph147

I will agree with you on the money issue. There is a lot of stuff. honestly I dont have the minis and dont plan too. I just use the tokens that come with the game. It works just fine either way so dont want to invest too much into it. The map packs right now were the biggest issue for me because 20 dollars for a map is a lot of money. However there is enough difference in each of the maps that it looks like they each should be fun.

My biggest issue is finding people to play with. my gaming group isnt that large right now plus time issues so we are lucky to get three people together right now. This game screams I want 4-5-6 characters on the board minimum. Especially in scenario mode. I am still getting it because I do set up and play againist myself in a play chess againist yourself format to just keep my brain going when not doing school.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

A lot of people kickstarted Tactics because they love SotM.  Tactics is very different than SotM, I assume they lost a lot of buyers of Tactics (over 2000 backers) because of that.  Tactics is a great game, but doesn't have the accessability of SotM.

I'm a huge Tactics fan, I think it is a phenomenal game, and can't wait for playtesting to start for the new stuff.  I understand why we are seeing the numbers difference though, and here are my thoughts:

1.  I expect the tournaments to help get the game some publicity, but it is going to take a while to build its own name.  If the tournaments do well as they hit bigger cons, and the demo's work as well as the SotM demos do, I expect it to gain ground and become a more widely supported product.

2.  Another problem is the markdown many people are looking at online, Tactics hit a lot of discount websites and drastically lower prices, so a lot of players are going to wait for it.  This isn't a kickstarter, and lack of initial purchasers won't cause this game to not be made, so why not wait and get it cheaper?

3.  Shipping plays into that, and shipping for tactics is going to be worse than Villains, Villains offsets that with extra decks and 7 promo cards.

4.  Tactics does not have an as popular and established bonus structure as SotM, so offsetting shipping with the bonus incentives isn't that big a thing.  It is for Villains.

5.  Broken City is more expensive.  Some people are going to have to choose between them, and Villains is going to win out.

6.  There are problems with Tactics that have not been worked out.  We need some errata that is hopefully coming soon that will fix basic problems with several of the Scenarios.  

Oaktree
Oaktree's picture

I have passed on picking up Tactics to date.  Mainly due to known issues with getting it to the table since it pretty much requires multiple players* and then will be competing with a lot of other games - including SotM.

* - Yes, I can probably solitaire it.  But SotM itself works for that as well.

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

There's also the total lack of timeframe, it's still unclear what will come out first I want to order both but if tactics delays my getting villains they are certainly not going in the same order meaning I'm still waiting to put my preorder in

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Foote wrote:

Just note that while the minis (especially the painted ones) are awesome as hell, you really don't need them to make the most out of A Tactics purchas. 

Completely concur. The first half dozen games or more that I played were with the tokens. They are pretty!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Have you gone back after playing with the minis?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I won't play with minis any game that would require mini's and tokens.  That wrecks the whole effect of the minis.

I also don't want minis on a flat map, so I don't own any minis yet.  Spiff's terrain is making it tempting though.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

Have you gone back after playing with the minis?

Sort of. When I only had the unpainted minis, I actually liked the tokens better.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

We expected the Tactics stuff to sell more slowly because Tactics is still in the early stages of the product line, whereas SotM is a best-selling product line that's been out for nearly 4 years! Right now, things are lining up right around where I expected them to be, and we'll be doing a ton of cool Tactics stuff this year to promote that game.

One of the most awesome is the tournaments, which, if you haven't seen them, I definitely recommend checking them out at www.youtube.com/greaterthangames, and watching our next tournament live from PAX East at twitch.tv/greaterthangames!

In addition to looking awesome and being a ton of fun to run, those tournaments are like a superbowl commercial for Tactics - expensive and complicated, but incredibly effective! We actually wound up selling more Tactics than SotM at PAX South.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Paul wrote:

We expected the Tactics stuff to sell more slowly because Tactics is still in the early stages of the product line, whereas SotM is a best-selling product line that's been out for nearly 4 years! Right now, things are lining up right around where I expected them to be, and we'll be doing a ton of cool Tactics stuff this year to promote that game.One of the most awesome is the tournaments, which, if you haven't seen them, I definitely recommend checking them out at www.youtube.com/greaterthangames, and watching our next tournament live from PAX East at twitch.tv/greaterthangames!In addition to looking awesome and being a ton of fun to run, those tournaments are like a superbowl commercial for Tactics - expensive and complicated, but incredibly effective! We actually wound up selling more Tactics than SotM at PAX South.

To add to this, I have 0 doubt that a few updates about the new Tactics games with info on characters and such would drive hype even more especially from fencers.

I doesn't surprise me that Tactics sold better at PAX. Once you get to try it out and see it in action you'll be hooked.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I'm definitely going to back for the complete package, color minis and all, by the end of the campaign, but I haven't had time to build up funds for it yet. So there's 1 more that's not on there.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I can't say it doesn't SURPRISE me that it outsold Sentinels, just considering how well that sells, and how many different items there are for it TO sell -- but I can definitely understand why it would. It's a great, fun game, it expands on the world of Sentinels, and there are a lot of people who have everything Sentinels but haven't tried out Tactics, so there's a large market there.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Thanks for the recommendation of the tournament videos.  I'm still waiting on my copy of Tactics because it won't ship until the add-on maps are done, so it's great to be able to get a sense of what the game is like to play.  It's definitely pushing me towards pre-ordering Broken City and For Profit, even before I get to try the first game for myself.

I do have to say, though, I feel super-uncomfortable with some of the tournament line-ups.  Baron Blade and Legacy being on the same team, or Legacy and Beacon being on opposite teams, is just something that shouldn't happen.  When I see a member of the Freedom Five hitting "Paul's little girl," it's like something is wrong in the multiverse!

cmschex
Playtester

I can attest from first hand experience that the Tactics demo table at PAX South was always busy and everyone I demo'd for at least had a great time (and many of them went up to purchase the game).  I'm really glad it sold that well as I saw a lot of folks buying SotM stuff too

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Estelindis wrote:

I do have to say, though, I feel super-uncomfortable with some of the tournament line-ups.  Baron Blade and Legacy being on the same team, or Legacy and Beacon being on opposite teams, is just something that shouldn't happen.  When I see a member of the Freedom Five hitting "Paul's little girl," it's like something is wrong in the multiverse!

You do get used to it pretty quickly. If not you'll probably prefer the scenarios, which are a lot of fun too.

And Beacon's a big girl now. ;)

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

I bought a 2nd copy of Flame of Freedom recently to get double the tiles, also nice to have more dice and tokens. Now I can make some maps for skirmishes that are the same on both end so neither side has more of an advantage due to terrain. Can also make some pretty cool maps, like having 2 volcanoes.

I may do the same for Broken City, the 1st copy is being pre-ordered here and I'll get a 2nd copy later on a site like Amazon for cheaper as it's just for the extra components.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

You do get used to it pretty quickly. If not you'll probably prefer the scenarios, which are a lot of fun too.

Honestly, I think I mightn't, or at least not totally.  I find it easy to think of convoluted scenarios for pretty much any hero vs. villain in an environment combo that the card game has to offer, but I can only make some hero + villain teams work in my head.  The thematic/story appeal of the characters is very strong for me, so I don't like to play a game whose line-up I can't imagine happening.

Silverleaf wrote:
And Beacon's a big girl now. ;) 

Yeah, that's why I put it in quotation marks.  I know my attitude is a bit silly, particularly considering that she seems more than a little reckless on the battlefield.  ;)  But even once she's an experienced hero, Legacy's allies still know how badly he was affected by her death in Shattered Timelines, so I find it hard to imagine them wanting to hurt her.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Yeah, I could see them reluctant to bring back Iron Legacy.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

jsz2 wrote:

Yeah, I could see them reluctant to bring back Iron Legacy.

Not even just for the sake of protecting the world from Iron Legacy...  Tactics Paul fought Iron Legacy himself, so I think he has to have done some soul-searching and wouldn't end up going down the same dark Path if Felicia died in his own timeline.  But it would just be horrible at a human level, and so many of the heroes seem like friends close enough to be family that I can't imagine they'd want it to happen.

(It's less than a year since my own father passed away, so I am probably more susceptible than I should be to these father/daughter loss themes.)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Incapacitation's not death though. If Beacon goes down in Tactics she gets right back up again.

I know what you mean though, having say Unity attack Tachyon seems weird thematically. I guess for a game to function as a game you need a level of abstraction such that thematics don't override mechanics - it would be weird for there to be a rule saying that Character X can't be in the same team as Character Y for lore reasons (or indeed anything other than because of balance, and I'd be unhappy about a game that was poorly-designed enough that certain combinations had to be prohibited).

For what it's worth, I'm sorry about your father. :(

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

if you need help with justifying it, don't forgot brainwashing is a common comic trope, as well as the teaming up against a common foe.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Estelindis wrote:

(It's less than a year since my own father passed away, so I am probably more susceptible than I should be to these father/daughter loss themes.)

I'm sympathetic. My parents passed away in 2011 and 2012.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Not to mention, there's always the idea of a "friendly" brawl. Think something along the idea of Smash Bros, or DBZ. You can have Mario and Bowser team up against Link and Ganondorf, since it's all in fun, rather than fighting for real, like in their games. Or how Goku and Vegeta fight to become stronger. Just because they're fighting doesn't mean they have to be FIGHTING. If it really bugs you that much, you can call it training, or sparring. Or, just try not to worry about it. It's a game, for fun. It's not real life or anything.

Edits: stupid autocorrect!

-- Trajector

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It's the Training Simulator in the Freedom Five tower :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

ViolentSilence

Ameena wrote:

That should be a series of expansions!

After seeing the consequences of Legacy go rogue, the Freedom 5 create environments in the training simulator where each hero acts as the villain, ready for the day if one of them slips... The Ice Caves of Absolute Zero, Bunker's Bunker...

If nothing else, it's a quick and dirty way of adding to the number of terrains available...

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Incapacitation's not death though. If Beacon goes down in Tactics she gets right back up again.

Yeah, once I saw that in the tournaments, I felt a bit better about it.  I guess that even incapacitation in the card game isn't supposed to be death, but when you see the super-sad incap sides of the Legacies, it does seem like death.

Come to think of it, what happens to Iron Legacy when he gets defeated...?  </tangent>  

Silverleaf wrote:

it would be weird for there to be a rule saying that Character X can't be in the same team as Character Y for lore reasons (or indeed anything other than because of balance, and I'd be unhappy about a game that was poorly-designed enough that certain combinations had to be prohibited).

Absolutely.  When I say that certain combos shouldn't happen, it's only a comment on my feelings, not gameplay.

Silverleaf wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm sorry about your father. :(

arenson9 wrote:

I'm sympathetic. My parents passed away in 2011 and 2012.

Thank you very much (and sorry if bringing it up was an over-share).

Ameena wrote:

Yes!  Perfect!  I shall use this to explain any games that bother me.  Thanks.  :)

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ameena wrote:

Heh, for what it's worth, very early on what's now called a Skirmish was a scenario called (something like) "Bunker's Battle School". I don't know the official reason it changed, but my guess is it was because villains wouldn't be participating in a school Bunker was running.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

morph147

does anyone know if they are planning to post the videos from pax south for the tournament onto their youtube page.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Yes they have stated they will post the videos.   Probably won't be available online until February at earliest.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

ViolentSilence

Rabit wrote:
Heh, for what it's worth, very early on what's now called a Skirmish was a scenario called (something like) "Bunker's Battle School". I don't know the official reason it changed, but my guess is it was because villains wouldn't be participating in a school Bunker was running.

Villains wouldn't, but imitations of them could and if you could simulate an environment, why not the 'enemy'. Would make hero+villain team-ups thematically weird though!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@morph147

We are working on getting the PAX South tournament posted asap! I'd guess 1-2 weeks for a timetable.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

morph147

Paul wrote:

@morph147We are working on getting the PAX South tournament posted asap! I'd guess 1-2 weeks for a timetable.

thanks Paul. Cant wait to watch and learn the game a bit better. trying to get my regular gaming group to play a bit more but we always seem frustrated at lack of people playing. Usually end up being one villian 2 heroes. I think we are going to start playing all the hero players get 2 heroes just to bump up numbers.

dshields
dshields's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

@morph147We are working on getting the PAX South tournament posted asap! I'd guess 1-2 weeks for a timetable.

They were Awsome and Christopher is so much fun to listen to. It was all very well done.

morph147

dshields wrote:

Paul wrote:

They were Awsome and Christopher is so much fun to listen to. It was all very well done.

I agree just the more the issue is the time to sit down and go through them. most of them were about 45 minutes which is a large chunk of time for me right now

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Youtube has a speed option on it, best way to watch those videos when you don't have as much time as you thought.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

HRM

What exactly IS Tactics? Is it a board game, or more like a tabletop wargame like 40K, or Warmachine/Hordes?

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

It's a tactical combat board game. 

Heres a video of explaining it from the kickstarter

http://youtu.be/zzbrrjOTEpQ

HRM

Ah, I see. Thank-you muchly!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

HRM wrote:

What exactly IS Tactics?

A lot of fun!!!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

HRM wrote:

What exactly IS Tactics? Is it a board game, or more like a tabletop wargame like 40K, or Warmachine/Hordes?

Could the fact that this question was even asked be the answer to the question posed by the OP?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm