The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Who's Yer Con 2017

98 posts / 0 new
Last post
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Event registration just opened. We've got a few people signed up already. 

Things are already filling up!

• New Bedford, Fri 6pm: 4/4
  • Compounded, Fri 8pm: 4/5
  • Fate of the Elder Gods, Fri 8pm: 2/4
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse, Sat 10am: 1/5
  • Spirit Island, Sat 1pm: 2/4
  • Spirit Island, Sat 3pm: 3/4
  • New Bedford, Sat 6pm: 4/4
  • Fate of the Elder Gods, Sat 8pm: 1/4

New Bedford is popular!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

They must have heard about the secret cloaked Romulan Bird of Prey on the fourth open ocean tile.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I just realized that I really screwed up. Somehow I failed to notice until just now that that weekend, April 1-2, is the same weekend that I'm organizing a conference for work in Bloomington. I'm not sure what to do here.

I can probably come up more than I earlier said on Friday. But that doesn't necessarily help so much.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Work conference at Who's Yer Con?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I wish I could!

I've been really looking forward to both of these events for months. Somehow I never thought about them at the same time. I think the fact that I was organizing the one conference meant that it never made it on to my calendar.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Changing the topic slightly for a moment:

Would some of the Indy residents suggest a restaurant/bar near the hotel that might otherwise be suitable for a meetup from a different circle of my life? I'd prefer not excessively loud so that we could actually, you know, talk to each other. If a bar, pool by the hour is a plus but not mandatory.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Since editing posts doesn't always make things view properly here, a follow-up:

• There are other Sentinels games listed on the "Modern Boardgaming 101" track, in case we want to reach out to the person in charge there & offer extra support staff.
  • On Saturday evening, I'm now planning to meet some fellow Redditors at the Elbow Room pub. I'll be around to help fill out games or handle pick-up sessions of Sentinels/Compounded/a couple non-GtG things until c. 5:30 or so. Anybody else who's interested in attending is welcome to come along, IMO. (I know we've got the New Bedford & Elder Gods demos running later that night.)
  • Saturday AM, before the first actual event starts, I'd be open to an OblivAeon playtest if any of the playtesters - I'm not one - wanted to bring things along & playing in our space wouldn't violate NDAs.
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

I just realized that I really screwed up. Somehow I failed to notice until just now that that weekend, April 1-2, is the same weekend that I'm organizing a conference for work in Bloomington. I'm not sure what to do here. I can probably come up more than I earlier said on Friday. But that doesn't necessarily help so much.

Can you get your copy of Spirit Island to me? 

If so, i'll ask for help about the best way to teach it and should be fine.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

Since editing posts doesn't always make things view properly here, a follow-up:There are other Sentinels games listed on the "Modern Boardgaming 101" track, in case we want to reach out to the person in charge there & offer extra support staff.On Saturday evening, I'm now planning to meet some fellow Redditors at the Elbow Room pub. I'll be around to help fill out games or handle pick-up sessions of Sentinels/Compounded/a couple non-GtG things until c. 5:30 or so. Anybody else who's interested in attending is welcome to come along, IMO. (I know we've got the New Bedford & Elder Gods demos running later that night.)Saturday AM, before the first actual event starts, I'd be open to an OblivAeon playtest if any of the playtesters - I'm not one - wanted to bring things along & playing in our space wouldn't violate NDAs.

The two SotM events under Modern Gaming 101 are run by someone I know well (Jaclyn Kaufman) who is very experienced at SotM and is on the board of Who's Yer Gamers, in charge of organizing volunteers.

The Sentinel Tactics for Tweens is the event that Russ is going to run.

Elbow Room is great. Don't think I can join you. Russ will also be running a game and Dylan's not coming, so I'm afraid we won't be any company.

I'll pass on OblivAeon Sat morning. Too complex to dig into on a day where I want to have energy for a lot of other things. In fact, I make no promises about being there before noon.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Can you get your copy of Spirit Island to me?  If so, i'll ask for help about the best way to teach it and should be fine.

Absolutely! I'm pretty sure it's the nicest copy of Spirit Island currently in existence. Would it be OK to drop it off next Sunday evening (March 19)?
jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

jffdougan wrote:
Since editing posts doesn't always make things view properly here, a follow-up:There are other Sentinels games listed on the "Modern Boardgaming 101" track, in case we want to reach out to the person in charge there & offer extra support staff.On Saturday evening, I'm now planning to meet some fellow Redditors at the Elbow Room pub. I'll be around to help fill out games or handle pick-up sessions of Sentinels/Compounded/a couple non-GtG things until c. 5:30 or so. Anybody else who's interested in attending is welcome to come along, IMO. (I know we've got the New Bedford & Elder Gods demos running later that night.)Saturday AM, before the first actual event starts, I'd be open to an OblivAeon playtest if any of the playtesters - I'm not one - wanted to bring things along & playing in our space wouldn't violate NDAs.

The two SotM events under Modern Gaming 101 are run by someone I know well (Jaclyn Kaufman) who is very experienced at SotM and is on the board of Who's Yer Gamers, in charge of organizing volunteers.The Sentinel Tactics for Tweens is the event that Russ is going to run.Elbow Room is great. Don't think I can join you. Russ will also be running a game and Dylan's not coming, so I'm afraid we won't be any company.I'll pass on OblivAeon Sat morning. Too complex to dig into on a day where I want to have energy for a lot of other things. In fact, I make no promises about being there before noon.

All sounds good. My stuff starts at 10 that morning, and I'm staying at the hotel, so I'll be there bright & early.

On my behalf, maybe let Jaclyn know that if her SotM events that don't conflict with ours have a waiting list, she can tap me to help her with setting up another table if I'm not needed in our pick-up area?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

Absolutely! I'm pretty sure it's the nicest copy of Spirit Island currently in existence. Would it be OK to drop it off next Sunday evening (March 19)?

Have you seen what we used at PAX East last weekend? Because it had the actual Explorer, Town, and City molds! surprise

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:
dpt wrote:

Have you seen what we used at PAX East last weekend? Because it had the actual Explorer, Town, and City molds! surprise

I'm jealous, and I stand corrected!
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
Can you get your copy of Spirit Island to me?  If so, i'll ask for help about the best way to teach it and should be fine.

That will work. Please stay in close contact as I sometimes have a gaming meetup Sunday nights, but I'm sure we can work things out, I just might direct you to a different address downtown. In fact, if you want to sit down for a game Sunday night and we're actually meeting, you'd be welcome to join us.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:
... maybe let Jaclyn know that if her SotM events that don't conflict with ours have a waiting list, she can tap me to help her with setting up another table if I'm not needed in our pick-up area?

I've sent her a message.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I got a chance to practice teaching Spirit Island today and it went reasonably well.

For anyone following along, with Dylan not able to make it, I don't think we'll have enough people to maintain a presence in the free-play area, so if you're looking for us, please try to find the games we're running. I don't know yet if those are going to be the same table over and over again or spread around.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Actually, we do have the table numbers. All of our events are at GP-17, except for the Compounded event, which is the same time as one of the others, at GP-18.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I'm glad to hear it went well! I really like that game. Very much looking forward to having it in hand.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

Actually, we do have the table numbers. All of our events are at GP-17, except for the Compounded event, which is the same time as one of the others, at GP-18.

Thanks, Andy. Is the Teen Tactics event also at GP-17, or somewhere else?

Christopher wrote:

I'm glad to hear it went well! I really like that game. Very much looking forward to having it in hand.

Same, here! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

Thanks, Andy. Is the Teen Tactics event also at GP-17, or somewhere else?

Not at GP-17. I'll ask, and see what else I can learn about it. I'd imagined that there was a specific area set aside for kids, but I realize I don't actually know.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Re: Tactics for Teens:

"It's in Nic's. (down by the restaurant) we have one or two in the system but people don't always sign up their kids for games."

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

"Nic's"? Uh...  Okay. Guess I'll do some recon early Friday afternoon...

Thanks! 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nic's is the room where the Sentinel Tactics tournament was the first year we did it -- 2015.

It looks like the way the kids/teens program works is that kids come to the room and then can play whatever games are available, so if you're running Sentinel Tactics you can decide how many you want to handle. Mind you, we didn't request any particular size table or number of chairs for this. I figure I'll come along and offer moral support if nothing else. 

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Well..... bad news is that my 2-month review at the new gig was about as bad as it could possibly be, with anything you want to speculate about the outcomes probably being true.

However, that means I'll be capable of arriving earlier in the day on Friday, and plan to man the free play area except during the Compounded event and the scheduled Sentinels event that I'm running; minus meeting people at the Elbow Room on Saturday after dinner.

I will have a couple non-GtG things with me if folks from here are interested in playing them at some point - specifically, I'll have Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle and the Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game with me; the former because I'm still getting my ass kicked by game 7 and the latter because I've gotten it to the table exactly once and need to explore it a bit more.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

:( Sorry about the job review and its outcomes.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

the Dresden Files Cooperative Card...because I've gotten it to the table exactly once and need to explore it a bit more.

And because Ra is in it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

But a different Ra!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In case folks are interested and haven't seen it, yet, the event program "teaser" is available. (It's the program, but with a specific announcement redacted.)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

:( Sorry about the job review and its outcomes.

Thanks, Dylan.

It represents the first time I've really been absolutely unable to work with somebody. He'd been there 25 years; I was at 2 months. Doesn't take much logic to figure out what happens next.

bolnerap

I'd love to attend (I met a couple of you folks last year when I volunteered at the Handelabra booth), but I've decided to stay home and watch my daughter so my wife can head over and play SOTM, among other things. She didn't get to do Gen Con last year due to being 8+ months pregnant, so watching the kiddo while she heads to WYC is the least I can do.

Hope you all have a great time.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Minor timing update: I'm now committed to staying in Urbana until roughly 10:30 AM Central Time in order to pick up the Chromebook my son has been saving money for since before Christmas on his behalf & drop it at my ex's before leaving. (Store opens at 10:00 Central; need to purchase item & get it to her house before I can leave.)

Accounting for the time change, I'll be at the con between 1 and 2 PM Eastern time.

bolnerap, you could always come over after she comes home. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'll likely be there ~3:30pm Friday, myself.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeff, we can't find you!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Don't worry, folks -- we found him.  (Or, more accurately, he found us.)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

Don't worry, folks -- we found him.  (Or, more accurately, he found us.)

Indeed. There were more free play areas than I realized, and even when I looked in the room he was in, I didn't look very well. Jeff played a bunch of Sentinels in the afternoon. Russ ran New Bedford to a group of four who seemed to really like it. Jeff and I then ran concurrent games -- Compounded for him and Fate of the Elder Gods. Not sure how Jeff's game went. Mine was interestingly different than other games I've seen: The first time the game ended by someone having ten elder signs. Players seemed to like it.

There's an official podcaster for the con and my friend Jaclyn, who organizes volunteers for Who's Yer Gamers, was invited to be interviewed and teach a game. She chose to teach Sentinels of the Multiverse! We suggested she stack Baron Blade's and Insula Primalis' decks to make the game as fast and exciting as possible and apparently the podcasters, one of whom had played Sentinels many times, loved it. I didn't hear what happened specifically, but the person who'd played before was gushing that it was his favorite play of SotM ever.

We found a vendor in the dealer hall who was carrying New Bedford and SotM, so gave him a bunch of SotM promo cards and promised to give him any New Bedford promos we had left over after Saturday. The lanyards GtG sent us have been a hit. WYC is using crappy string lanyards, so everyone's stoked to get an awesome SotM lanyard. We'll see if we can interest anyone in any of the art prints tomorrow. 

After just a couple hours teaching a game in a noisy hall my throat is nearly shot. Need to remember cough drops for tomorrow.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Wow! Sounds like a really successful day! Thanks for all the hard work, Andy and co.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bolnerap

Made it over after all! We decided this would be Baby's First Con, so I went with my wife and daughter this afternoon and I wore babygirl around for much of the time we were there. Played Tsuro of the Seas in the library room, ran into coworker and fellow Gen Con GTG volunteer Alex in the dealer room, then dropped by the big demo room to visit Russ and Jeff. Thanks for the chat, VG Mainstay preview, and promo stuff, folks! It was good seeing you again, hope to catch you at Gen Con this year.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hey, bolnerap! Great to see you today -- glad you stopped by! laugh

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Today kind of sucked for me. I ended up with a massive headache. Overall, though, I think it was a positive day. I think Russ and Jeff both had a good time.

Jeff ran a SotM game with a bunch of experienced players in the morning. They got torched by The Dreamer. In reflecting on that, later, we realized that although it's fun to teach the game, it's not as much fun just watching experienced players, so if we're organizing an event where we're not going to be one of the players, we need to set the description to clearly state that it is a teaching game.

Russ and Jeff ran a bunch of ad hoc SotM in the afternoon, including an OblivAeon game. I taught Spirit Island twice. I think all eight players enjoyed it, but neither group were able to finish in the two hour timeslot or even get particularly close. I did my best to encourage them to spend a little time strategizing, but pick something before too very long, and I tried particularly in the second game to help them find and do useful things when they were struggling, but it wasn't enough.

Russ ran New Bedford at 6 and that group seemed to really enjoy it. The scores were 28, 25, 24, and 21. I finished off the night with another round of Fate of the Elder Gods, with three players. They were unable to finish the game in the two hour timeslot, though it came close. One of the players was at seven on the summon track _AND_ had eight Elder Seals. Again, they seemed to enjoy it. As far as I can tell, every person who played every one of our events enjoyed the game.

While I was wandering about in between events I happened upon a group that had checked out Time Management from the library w/out any prompting. One of them disliked it, but the other three were really enjoying it, with one of them remarking that they liked how different it was from other games. 

One of my players seemed really into social deduction games, so I asked if he'd heard of Dracula's Feast. He not only had, but had heard really good things about it.

I'm not sure I'm going to go back to the con tomorrow. I could use a day off. Russ will be running Sentinel Tactics for the teens program at the con and I think doing some more SotM in the afternoon. I think Jeff may run a game, too, before he heads out.

I'lll have to think about whether I want to do something like this again next year. I enjoy organizing and being a part of exiting events, but we didn't quite make an event out of this. I had a good time learning Spirit Island and Fate of the Elder Gods well enough to teach them, but didn't actually have a great time teaching them -- a combination of them being much more complex to teach than SotM, having to deal with the time pressure/length of time of the game/not liking them to the same depth that I enjoy SotM, and then also some of the annoying noise and headache, particularly for the last game. The whole splitting of locations between the scheduled events and the free play area was annoying -- having to deal with lugging things around and trying to make sure there was someone watching stuff. I dunno. Maybe when my head doesn't hurt I'll have a more positive perspective.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Podcast session from Who's Yer Con featuring SotM: http://gamingwithscott.libsyn.com/hotp-whosyercon-2017-sotm

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

You can do a full Fate of the Elder Gods game demo in about an hour if you start each cult with 4 elder signs and 4 summoning track tokens.  Sometimes a bit over an hour.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sorry about the rough day.

arenson9 wrote:

I taught Spirit Island twice. I think all eight players enjoyed it, but neither group were able to finish in the two hour timeslot or even get particularly close. I did my best to encourage them to spend a little time strategizing, but pick something before too very long, and I tried particularly in the second game to help them find and do useful things when they were struggling, but it wasn't enough.

I suspect the biggest factor there is the fourth player. There are more players to interact with and more lands and invaders to deal with, making the search space much larger when planning your turn. Even with experienced players, four-player games tend to take longer.

Getting AP-prone players to focus can be tricky, as well. There's a tendency to want to stop the invaders on every front right away, but that really isn't possible (if it were, the game would be too easy). I try to encourage players to each identify the biggest fire on their board and try to deal with that - anything extra is just gravy. It doesn't totally solve the problem, but I find it can help a bit when there are too many options.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

bolnerap wrote:

Made it over after all! We decided this would be Baby's First Con, so I went with my wife and daughter this afternoon and I wore babygirl around for much of the time we were there. Played Tsuro of the Seas in the library room, ran into coworker and fellow Gen Con GTG volunteer Alex in the dealer room, then dropped by the big demo room to visit Russ and Jeff. Thanks for the chat, VG Mainstay preview, and promo stuff, folks! It was good seeing you again, hope to catch you at Gen Con this year. 

I wondered if that had been you two - before I found Russ & Andy, I'd almost ended up in a game of Hogwarts Battle with her.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:
Today kind of sucked for me. ...
My sympathies. Thanks for the report!
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Final day! I lazed into the con around 11ish and by the time I'd finished chatting with a few people Russ had finished running Sentinel Tactics for tweens. I gather there was some minor tweenish drama, but all four of his participants had fun. The person organizing the kids track is one of the winners from our first Sentinel Tactics tournament two years ago and he ended up running a second game of Tactics for a kid that came late and that kids parent. Russ, Matt sends his thanks along to you for helping out!

Jeff, Russ, Isaac, and I played a fun game of SotM against Voss with three of the playtest heroes (Harpy, Akash'Thriya, and Mainstay) in the environment (oh, what's the name ... something like spirit of the void), plus me playing Prime Wardens Argent Adept. We almost completely routed Voss -- saw neither ship and no Forced Deployments. We ended up with a cluster of 10-12 people milling around a few tables alternately playing games of SotM or just checking out the playtest decks that Russ had brought. 

I took the remaining New Bedford promos over to the booth that had been carrying it. As mentioned (I think?) he'd sold out on the New Bedford games previously. By Sun afternoon he'd sold most of his SotM merch, too.

I wandered the halls a bit before leaving, including kibitzing with the folks running the Game Library. SotM is on heavy rotation from the Library, with two copies regularly getting used, in part because the people organizing the library like it and so often recommend it. Sounds like New Bedford get a lot of play as well and enthusiastic responses. In wandering the halls I also came across three different tables playing SotM. One of them was sort of the usual suspects, the other two were families that had picked up the game at the con.

So all in all a success, I think, despite my feeling crappy the night before. I'd mused about maybe not organizing something for next year, but I think I'll want to, just with some tweaks. I'd tried to create a 'slate' of GtG games to sort of showcase the range of products available, but I'm not sure anyone noticed. Better, I think, to simply let each person who wants to run games to run the games they want, and then create a joint schedule where we can help each other out / possibly holding down a regular spot in the free-play area.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I think that if we try to run a "slate," we'll need official GtG presence there - there's too much for the three of us to do, and maybe too much even with Dylan present. It would also help to do make sure that was clear by making it a series in the con booklet, much like Jaclyn's "Modern Boardgaming 101" series was.

Other things I think would be good:

• When you and I talked last night, you remarked that I seemed to have a definite niche/knack for teaching Sentinels to families. Accordingly, I'd almost certainly put myself down for at least one "Learn to Play SotM" event down in that same teen/tween area that this morning's Tactics event was in.
  • If the RPG has been in people's hands long enough for somebody to be comfortable with it, I think a "slate" of GtG stuff would have to include the RPG.
  • Based on how much it was requested for this year, I'd set up at least one 4-hour OblivAeon slot.
  • Lanyards good, gameplay materials better, art prints didn't seem to go over so well - I offered them every time I did something, but nobody bit. (see note below).

The potentially complicating factor for me next year would be that my daughter might just be old enough for me to consider bringing my kids, which means I go into "dad mode" and not "con volunteer mode."

Those are my initial thoughts in the hours immediately following the con being over.

Note: I now have the art prints from Vengeance, Wrath of the Cosmos, and Villains (after this weekend). In each set of three, there's only been one that has really grabbed my attention, but there's art from other cards that would be neat to be able to add to them. I'd almost like to be able to order art prints for individual card art.

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

Thanks for the Dracula's Feast shoutout! :D

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Pages