The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Who's Yer Con 2017

98 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Who's Yer Con 2017

Who's interested in running demos at Who's Yer Con 2017

March 31 - April 2

Register at: http://whosyergamers.org/

Russ and I are considering creating a slate of Events as well as posting people in the free-play area. GtG have offered possible demo games/promos/prizes (TBD).

If you're interested, share which games you would like to demo, whether it's a game you already know how to demo or not, whether or not you have a copy to use, and how many demos of each you'd like to run.

For example, for me:

• SotM (5+), know how to demo, have a copy, but would prefer to get some of the expansions to make a complete demo copy rather than use my personal set.
  • Tactics (1-2), know how to demo, have a copy
  • New Bedford (1-2), kinda know how to demo, have a copy
  • Spirit Island (1-2), have played, don't really know how to demo, don't have a copy
  • Fate of the Elder Gods (1-2), have played, don't really know how to demo, don't have a copy
  • Bottom of the Ninth (1-2), have played, don't really know how to demo, have a copy
  • Deck Building (1-2), have played, know how to demo, have enough for six players
  • Traitor Mechanic, (1-2), have not played, have a copy
  • Trick-Taking (1-2), have not played, have a copy
  • Time Management (1-2), have not played, have a copy

I wouldn't want to do _ALL_ of the above, and I'm not sure which of the above I'm most interested in.

Once we have a better idea of who wants to do what, we can organize who will actually do what, when, and where and then I'll work w/ GtG on possibly getting demo games, promos, prizes.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I'm interested!

I'm not quite sure what your numbers mean, but I'm totally prepared to demo Spirit Island, SotM, and New Bedford. I hope and expect to have the official version of Spirit Island by then, but in any case I have the copy I've been using for playtesting (which I also used at GenCon). I also have Brew Crafters and know how to demo it, altohugh a little less confidently. And I'm also happy to demo all the smaller games.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looking forward to it! laugh

I initially thought Andy's numbers were how comfortable he was with demoing it (on a scale of 1-5). I finally realized it was how many times he would be willing to demo it. smiley

• SotM (∞) -- Know how to demo, have a demo copy, (but would like to get a copy of K.N.Y.F.E. for it).
  • Tactics (1-2) -- Know how to demo, have a copy
  • New Bedford (1-2) -- Know how to demo (turns out the instructions I got for demoing it before Gen Con were... flawed, but I think I got them all addressed frown; will want to review rules to make sure), don't have a copy
  • Spirit Island (1-2), have played, kinda know how to demo (suggest reading and using grysqrl's demo instructions if we're going to do this), don't have a copy
  • Bottom of the Ninth (0), have played, don't really know how to demo, don't have a copy
  • Deck Building (0), have played, know how to demo, don't have a copy

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Need to see how time with kids will work out after my new job kicks in week after next. (Good bye 90-minute commute each way; hello having a life again). Definitely willing to come over Friday night & stay through end of day Saturday if it works out.

• Sentinels: Own everything currently available; plenty comfortable demoing.
  • Spirit Island: Have pre-ordered, but likely won't own by then. Haven't been able to run full game, not sure how to demo yet.
  • Compounded (1-2 times): Own, Have played about 2x; not positive how to demo but could get it worked out with advance notice.

Might consider coming if the kids are with me, but at that point we'll be standard attendees and I won't be available for demoing. (My kids are 11 and 7; not comfortable leaving them unattended on the kids' track. He might be OK; she definitely wouldn't be.)

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

I would love to come down but at this point it's pretty unlikely! If I did, I'd happily demo New Bedford. My boyfriend and I were playing that nightly for a while; it's such a solid little game.

I also have Tactics wave 2 stuff that I could playtest, which I feel is subtly different to demoing. ;)

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks, y'all.

What are your thoughts on what we should do? I'm vaguely thinking:

• Schedule one (or maybe two) event(s) each for Tactics, New Bedford, Spirit Island, Fate of the Elder Gods, Brew Crafters, and Compounded (if Jeff's available).
  • In the free play area, have Sentinels and the smaller games (Bottom of the 9th, Deck Building, Traitor Mechanic, Trick-Taking, Time Management) available and play it by ear as to what to play depending on who's running games and what the players are interested in.

How much time should we schedule for each game? I'm thinking 90 minutes for Tactics, New Bedford, and Spirit Island. Maybe 2 hours for Fate of the Elder Gods. No idea for Brew Crafters and Compounded.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I can also run demos of Compounded, I did that at GenCon too (and narrowly avoided giving a demo to Jeff there).

Agree on 90 minutes for Spirit Island. That allows for a full introductory game, unlike what we did at GenCon.

Brew Crafters would be 2 hours if we want a full game, I think? At Gen Con we ended up stopping part way through; that was actually fine, since it gave players a good taste of strategies, while recognizing that it's hard to play well on your first game.

I'll look up how long was scheduled for each of those games when I get a chance.

Spirit Island will be the only one of those that will be just released at that point. I'm happy to run as many demos as there is demand for.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

It looks like all the events were scheduled for 60 minutes at Gen Con. I think Compounded fits within that time (perhaps with a slightly shortened game). Brew Crafters, New Bedford, Spirit Island, and Tactics definitely run longer. I have less experience with Fate of the Elder Gods.

I looked at the State of GTG post from Paul, and was reminded that Lazer Ryderz and Exoplanets are "in mass production", thus likely to be ready with printed copies by then. Nobody has mentioned those yet. I'm comfortable running demos of Lazer Ryderz. I'll be getting a copy of Exoplanets as well; I haven't actually played it, but could doubtless learn it well enough to run demos.

A look at the updates/comments on the Fate of the Elder Gods Kickstarter doesn't make me optimistic that it will be released by then. (GTG was saying they want to be sure to have it ready for release at Gen Con.) We could do demos off play-testing copies, but it might be better to hold off.

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

You can absolutely play a New Bedford in an hour, in my experience!

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

PeterCHayward wrote:
You can absolutely play a New Bedford in an hour, in my experience!
Including teaching? This is one of the games I have less experience in teaching.
PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

Depending on the player count, I'd say yes! I suppose if you're teaching people who have never played a worker placement game it'd be a bit harder, but if they have some modern game literacy you should be fine.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If I remember correctly, the New Bedford demos we did at Gen Con weren't full games, running only 6 turns instead of 12. It was plenty of time to give everyone an idea of how the game works but short enough to ensure it didn't take too long. Those demos generally ran around an hour.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

That's how they played it at PAX when I played a demo. The short game worked really well; got a good handle for the game, and got me to pick it up! :D

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

There are various natural ways of shortening all of these games, mentioned above. These make a lot of sense for a demo. (For Brew Crafters, I'd play through 2 years rather than 3 years. I think that would fit in an hour.)

The question is what players at Whosyercon are likely to want. Will people be looking for demos or complete games? Maybe we can decide based on who shows up to a particular event. For demos with the shortenings mentioned, 60 minutes generally makes sense, I think.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

In general, I envision running full games and being conservative on scheduling -- I'd rather have more time and not use it than run out, both so I don't feel rushed in trying to finish (or cheated in failing to finish) and so there are some built-in breaks between games to rest/recover and find players, if needed.

I have no problem running pre-release versions of games that might still change, assuming GtG doesn't have a problem with it and (of course) we can get ahold of a version that looks at least halfway decent.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I have playtesting copies of Spirit Island and Fate of the Elder Gods that I'd be happy to contribute (presuming GtG gives permission). They look fine, except that the glorious sculpts for both games will look much more pedestrian.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Andy, do you have the information you need to start submitting events?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My next step will be to propose a schedule and see if y'all are on board.

It would be helpful to know _when_ people want to run games. For instance, I don't really want to run games Fri afternoon or Sunday.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I likely won't be able to be there until after dinner Friday, but should be available the rest of the weekend. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Fri        3:30-5           Spirit Island, Dylan            Free space: Andy          7-8:30           New Bedford, Russ               Free space: Dylan        8:30-10          Fate of the Elder Gods, Andy    Free space: Dylan   Sat        10-11:30         Compounded, Jeff                Free space: Russ          2-3:30           Fate of the Elder Gods, Dylan   Free space: Jeff        3:30-5           Brew Crafters, Dylan            Free space: Jeff          7-8:30           New Bedford, Andy               Free space: Russ        8:30-10          Spirit Island, Russ             Free space: Andy   Sun        10-11:30         Tactics, Russ                   Free space: Andy
Above is my proposed schedule.   It includes nine timeslots where we would run the larger game. I originally designed it with 15 timeslots and I was tired just thinking about it. I gave each timeslot 90 minutes. That's overkill for many of the games. It's maybe not enough for Brew Crafters, apparently. I've never played Brew Crafters.   During each timeslot, I assigned someone to definitely be in the freeplay space, looking for people to play Sentinels or possibly the smaller games. We can always have multiple people in the free space, but I wanted to make sure there was at least one.   There are generous breaks at lunch and dinner. I have absolutely no interest in feeling rushed. I think we should have people in the free space during these breaks, too, so the general idea is that the people before and after the break would work out who would cover it.   I identified six games as candidates for the timeslot events, and then picked the three I thought were likely to be the most popular to be taught and to be played. Those three (Spirit Island, New Bedford, Fate of the Elder Gods) got two timeslots. The other three (Tactics, Brew Crafters, and Compounded) got one slot.   With nine timeslots and, thus, nine games to assign and another nine freeplay spaces to assign, but with Jeff unable to be here Sunday, I divided the 18 timeslots into five for everyone else and three for Jeff. If Jeff can't make, we'll have to rearrange things.   I tried to group people's assignments both in time and in location. I tried not to give Dylan anything too early or late, since I think he'll be commuting from Bloomington.   
  1. Do you agree with the timeslots chosen (both number of slots and length of slots)?
  2. Do you agree with the distribution of which games got more slots?
  3. Are you happy with the times/games you've been assigned?
  I've heard rumor that the event space may fill, so I'm keen to decide sooner rather than later what events we're running when and get those submitted.      

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

One more time on that formatting:

Fri

• 3:30-5           Spirit Island, Dylan            Free space: Andy
  • 7-8:30           New Bedford, Russ               Free space: Dylan
  • 8:30-10          Fate of the Elder Gods, Andy    Free space: Dylan

Sat

• 10-11:30         Compounded, Jeff                Free space: Russ

• 2-3:30           Fate of the Elder Gods, Dylan   Free space: Jeff

• 3:30-5           Brew Crafters, Dylan            Free space: Jeff

• 7-8:30           New Bedford, Andy               Free space: Russ

• 8:30-10          Spirit Island, Russ             Free space: Andy

Sun

• 10-11:30         Tactics, Russ                   Free space: Andy

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Unfortunately, there's a colloquium here in Bloomington that Friday for which I know the speaker, so I won't be able to be there early on Friday. I could run an event starting at 7:00.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Should work for me, although I'll want to borrow your New Bedford sometime before then, Andy, to refresh myself on the rules. I'll _definitely_ have to refresh myself on Spirit Island, as it's been quite a while since I played... 

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:
Should work for me, although I'll want to borrow your New Bedford sometime before then, Andy, to refresh myself on the rules. I'll _definitely_ have to refresh myself on Spirit Island, as it's been quite a while since I played... 
Is this something you want to do? I'm totally happy to run both demos of Spirit Island. Playing or demoing Spirit Island is basically my favorite activity. (But it also sounded like I was the only one comfortable demoing Brew Crafters.)
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

New proposal. I've cut the times down to 7, cutting out Fri afternoon (I'm the only one who could be there) and Sunday (Jeff will be gone and by then I think we might be out of steam). I've cut out Tactics and Brewcrafters from the scheduled events. I can see us doing Tactics demos in the free space area. I think it's more important for us to have fun then to worry about demoing everything. In fact, we might want to simply have everyone demo whatever they most want to run during their scheduled slot.

Fri

• 7-8:30           New Bedford, Russ               Free space: Andy
  • 8:30-10         Fate of the Elder Gods, Andy    Free space: Russ

Sat

• 10-11:30        Compounded, Jeff                Free space: Russ
  • 2-3:30           Spirit Island, Dylan            Free space: Jeff
  • 3:30-5           Spirit Island, Dylan            Free space: Andy
  • 7-8:30           New Bedford, Russ               Free space: Dylan
  • 8:30-10          Fate of the Elder Gods, Andy    Free space: Dylan

1. Are you happy with your timeslot?
  2. Are you happy with the games your assigned to run?
  3. Are you ok with cutting Tactics and Brewcrafters?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I'm totally happy with this!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

How will the games in the Free Play area work? There's a bunch of games we'll want to be able to offer, right? (SotM, Tactics, meta-games, ...) Where will they go when nobody's in charge of that area?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

How will the games in the Free Play area work? There's a bunch of games we'll want to be able to offer, right? (SotM, Tactics, meta-games, ...) Where will they go when nobody's in charge of that area?

I think we'll need to make sure that there's always someone there. I was vaguely thinking that during gaps the two people on either side of the gap would split the time.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Let's go a step further. If you are next to a gap, you are responsible for being in the free space area during the gap. We'll have at least two people during those times.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Let's go a step further. If you are next to a gap, you are responsible for being in the free space area during the gap. We'll have at least two people during those times.

Hmm, I'm going to want to get dinner sometime between 5 and 7 on Saturday. (I'm scheduled to run a demo of Spirit Island until 5, then be in the free area starting at 7 through until 10pm.)

Could we get a big storage tub for the games so we can easily put it in a car if we need to? That way the people on either side of the gap can coordinate. We just need to be sure it's in a correct car (so that we have access when needed).

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Assuming that scheduling works (which I'm not really going to be able to work on for a while, as my ex-wife has her craziest work month of the year coming between now and the end of February), I'm good.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sounds great to me! yes Thanks for setting all this up for us, Andy! 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

dpt wrote:

arenson9 wrote:

Hmm, I'm going to want to get dinner sometime between 5 and 7 on Saturday. (I'm scheduled to run a demo of Spirit Island until 5, then be in the free area starting at 7 through until 10pm.)Could we get a big storage tub for the games so we can easily put it in a car if we need to? That way the people on either side of the gap can coordinate. We just need to be sure it's in a correct car (so that we have access when needed).

Good point. Middle ground: Both people are responsible, but they can still work it out to take breaks, go get food in shifts, etc.

As for a big tub to hold the games -- not a bad idea, but I'm  enamored of the idea of grabbing a prominent table or two and being a constant presence.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

Assuming that scheduling works (which I'm not really going to be able to work on for a while, as my ex-wife has her craziest work month of the year coming between now and the end of February), I'm good.

Hmmm ... I'd like to get the events in sooner rather than later. I don't think anyone else is comfortable/interested in running Compounded. Is there another game you'd like to run? We could simply run Sentinels in that slot.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

SENTINELS!!! laugh

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:
I don't think anyone else is comfortable/interested in running Compounded.
Oh, did I not say that? I'm comfortable and interested in running Compounded. (Jeff and I met briefly while I was demoing Compounded at GenCon!)

But there did seem to be some enthusiasm for Sentinels...

Either way, go ahead and submit the events.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Can someone be in charge of taking and/or posting photos?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm going to go with Sentinels. Why would I disregard Russ' ALLCAPS excitement?

Re: Photos: No promises, but I like photos, so I'll see what I can do. We're going to be stretched thin.

Off to make event submissions.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Events have been created. Schedule changed because even submission required games to start on the hour and to last for increments of whole hours. I decided to err on the side of caution and put everything in for two hours.

ALSO, with this schedule there are only two food breaks: Lunch and dinner on Saturday. How about Russ and I, as the person handling the free space before the food break and since neither of us have commitments right after the food break, stay in the free space an extra hour.

Fri

• 6-8pm, New Bedford, Russ (free space: Andy)
  • 8-10pm, Fate of the Elder Gods, Andy (free space: Russ)

Sat

• 10-noon, Sentinels, Jeff (free space: Russ)
  • 1-3pm, Spirit Island, Dylan (free space: Jeff)
  • 3-5pm, Spirit Island, Dylan (free space: Andy)
  • 6-8pm, New Bedford, Russ (free space: Dylan)
  • 8-10pm, Fate of the Elder Gods, Andy (free space: Dylan)

1. Y'all okay with this (perhaps finalized) schedule?
  2. Russ, I'll give you my copy of New Bedford
  3. Dylan, will you be up in Indy any time soon to give me your copy of Fate of the Elder Gods, so I can study it? I'll also check w/ GtG to see if they have something they can send me.

On another note, I was contacted by one of the WYG organizers who expressed interest in us possibly running demo games of Tactics for their tween/early-teen program, because they're looking for a miniatures game. This is someone who played on the winning team in the tournament at WYC 2015. I'm following up with him for more information but haven't made any promises.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Works for me! The Spirit Island games won't last the full 2 hours, I don't think, so I'll have time for a break in there.

arenson9 wrote:
Dylan, will you be up in Indy any time soon to give me your copy of Fate of the Elder Gods, so I can study it?

I'm driving up to Michigan through Indianapolis on Friday evening. Do you want me to drop it off then? It's not 100% up to date, but I think the modifications were things like tweaking the artifacts. But they've been sharing great new art on Kickstarter, so we might be able to snag that.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks, Dylan.

Re: Tactics demo for tweens/pre-teens. For anyone who would like to run that, what time would you like to run it?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

Re: Tactics demo for tweens/pre-teens. For anyone who would like to run that, what time would you like to run it?

I'm happy to be involved. Looks like I'm pretty open between noon and 6 on Saturday, and I could probalby do something Sunday.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

arenson9 wrote:

I'm happy to be involved. Looks like I'm pretty open between noon and 6 on Saturday, and I could probalby do something Sunday.

I've said we can do something at 10am Sunday, because I was sure that if nothing else I could make that time. I'm reluctant to schedule this during the times we have other events scheduled because I'd like us to be able to enjoy hanging out with each other in the free play area.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

My ex and I had a brief conference with each other yesterday as we started to try to talk calendars, since the kids get to spend weeks with me again (yay!). As part of that, we were projecting calendars out roughly through the end of March, and so I'm cleared to spend the whole weekend in Indy.

I'll still work a full day Friday (it's turning out to be an important prep day, as it's one of a few days where there aren't many students in labs and so I can focus on prep & arranging for chemical waste disposal), and so will probably arrive late-dinner or so that night. (I'm done at 3:30 Central. If I do a cheat drive/bus to work, I can probably hit the road by 4 and be in the Indy area around 7 PM Eastern).

If it's not too late, feel free to put a Compounded demo on for the 8-10 on Friday night.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm going to add a demo for 8-10 on Friday of Compounded, per Jeff's request.

I'm going to let Matt know that Russ can run Tactics for the tweens on Sunday at 10am.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Event registration just opened. We've got a few people signed up already. Current counts:

• Compounded, Fri 8pm, Jeff, 0
  • Fate of the Elder Gods, Fri 8pm, Andy, 1
  • Fate of the Elder Gods, Sat 8pm, Andy, 0
  • New Bedford, Fri 6pm, Russ, 2
  • New Bedford, Sat 6pm, Russ, 1
  • Sentinels of the Multiverse, Sat 10am, Jeff, 0
  • Spirit Island, Sat 1pm, Dylan, 1
  • Spirit Island, Sat 3pm, Dylan, 1

http://whosyergamers.org/

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Bwah! What? They aren't supposed to actually sign up for the events! Now what do we do?!

wink

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

Bwah! What? They aren't supposed to actually sign up for the events! Now what do we do?!wink

It gets worse, you're on the hook at 10am on Sunday to teach Sentinel Tactics to kids.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

It gets worse, you're on the hook at 10am on Sunday to teach Sentinel Tactics to kids.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

You probably shouldn't slice your head open in front of children.  laugh

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

But it's a great trick... 

Pages