The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Who is everyone's favorite character(s)?

77 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If you do something like this and are ameniable to folks who just want to watch, please post a link here in the forums and let everyone know! 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I'll second Rabit, it sounds like a cool thing to follow.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Third-ed.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

My favourites are Fanatic, Nightmist and Unity. They're all just fun.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

My favorite hero is the one who has always been whatever I need her to be: Sky-Scraper. When it comes to the heroes, I care so much more about mechanics than I do story, and that shows in the fact that I know almost NOTHING about Sky-Scraper other than she was a gladiator. But whenever I reach for a hero, my first instinct towards one that I pick whenever I need to win a game is to go for Sky-Scraper.

My favorite villain is Plague Rat. Kind of the reverse of the heroes, this is all about personality and character. So many of the villains are "a person with a plan". Plague Rat is not that. He is, by almost all definitions, a monster. He's a beast that will rip and tear you to shreds. And yet, unlike other monsters, he's not religated to a villain or environment deck as a thing the heroes need to deal with. He is a big problem for them.

Honorable mentions go to the Wraith and Omnitron, as they were the first hero I played as and the first villain I played against. Also, Omnitron-X, since not only did he make me appreciate the Omnitron arch more, but before Sky-Scraper, he was my go to hero.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

See, I still have a little trouble with Sky-Scraper. I wonder if I ever end up trying her Extremist Variant if this will change, but I tend to either stick with Huge or Tiny, and I don't switch forms very often.

It used to be I'd use Huge almost exclusively, but I've finally started getting a handle on Links thanks to the Video Game, but I still feel like there is a level or two I'm not grasping to make her shine.

One of my go-to heroes is Absolute Zero. Especially Termi-nation Zero, I just get how he works and unless I'm facing a very poor draw I can generally get quite a lot done with him.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

See, I still have a little trouble with Sky-Scraper. I wonder if I ever end up trying her Extremist Variant if this will change, but I tend to either stick with Huge or Tiny, and I don't switch forms very often.

Yeah, I kind of think that's the point of her vanilla form honestly. You draw 2 cards until you get a card you need to either change to huge or tiny. If you go Huge, you're basically planning to be a damage dealer/tank, and tiny is support, juggling links to do all sorts of shenanigans. The cards to change her to normal are often "run away and change strategy" moments, exploding all the links or healing a little damage, then you start drawing more cards until you get back to the start of this paragraph.

Extremist is made to completely flip this script of course...

Chaosmancer wrote:

One of my go-to heroes is Absolute Zero. Especially Termi-nation Zero, I just get how he works and unless I'm facing a very poor draw I can generally get quite a lot done with him.

You're a better Termin-nation member than I am. I don't know if I just get poor draws or just don't know how to hold on to my stuff, but I can never get set up well enough. Or maybe I'm just too impatient.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I fall into the trap of keeping Sky tiny all the time; her links are usually just too darn useful to give up unless I really, really need mass damage or tanking.

I struggle with TNAZ myself. Regular AZ I have figured out fine and love playing, but TNAZ is just so ultra-reliant on having all his modules and one-shots available. Also I usually love Thermal Shockwave, but it's almost impossible to use it with TNAZ.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

One thing about TNAZ is that his ongoings are big damage cards, Cold Snap becomes 3 damage to everything, 4 damage if you have the Focus. Impale is 4 and 5.

I had Legacy and nothing on AZ's board except Cold Snap and the Focus, and was doing 6 damage to everything every turn. Sure, the modules make him an insane yo-yo of damage and healing (Frost bound deals 5 to enemy, 7 fire to you, heal for 11) but being able to deal that consistent big damage is amazing for him.

IMO

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Links are still playable in Sky's large form and they don't work all that diferent when she changes size, but I understand how less crazy she is with putting them out and pulling them back when she's normal/big opposed to tiny.

corran109
corran109's picture

LevelUpLeo wrote:

Yeah, I kind of think that's the point of her vanilla form honestly. You draw 2 cards until you get a card you need to either change to huge or tiny. If you go Huge, you're basically planning to be a damage dealer/tank, and tiny is support, juggling links to do all sorts of shenanigans. The cards to change her to normal are often "run away and change strategy" moments, exploding all the links or healing a little damage, then you start drawing more cards until you get back to the start of this paragraph.Extremist is made to completely flip this script of course...

This is basically what I do. Skyscrape is a pseudo-flexible hero. She can do a bunch of different things, and change depending on the situation. I tend to wait until I have at least 2 form chaging cards + cards for the first form before switching. For example, if I intend to go Tiny, I'll try to make sure to have a card that switches to Tiny, a card that switches to either Normal or Huge, and some cards relevant to being Tiny before I switch. This doesn't always get to happen, but this way I get to stay flexible. I get to switch into Tiny and do a bunch of stuff, but then I don't have to worry if I need to quickly switch out to do something else.

Lord Flash Fire
Lord Flash Fire's picture

I'm with PhantaSkippy and MindWanderer on this one. A play-by-post, tedious as it sounds, is the best option for me.RPoL sounds good though, and perhaps this would be better off with a new thread?

" Ever had those days where you have amazing luck,
everything goes right, and you feel like the king of the world...
....And then you wake up?"
-Someone special, 2012

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I love characters where you feel you're building up to an awesome mega-turn, and Tachyon and Unity do that for me.

Besides, they have the best flavour text (apart from possibly Sky), Tachyon's a super-smart scientist and Unity makes awesome robots with her mind and I am so down with that. Also I had the biggest grin when I found out Tachyon is gay and it isn't in any way a big deal, when so many queer characters in other stories have basically no personality traits except their non-straightness.

Tempest was the first hero I played so I have a soft spot for them, and they are just too adorable with the dog and the eel but awesome and powerful with all the lightning stuff too.

And AZ is always fun because I like having to make difficult decisions about payoff vs self-damage and seeing how far I can push that before he explodes. His personal growth speaks to my soul as well.

There are lots of SotM characters that I like as actual characters but don't enjoy playing as much. Bunker has power armour which is a cool thing, but playing him feels so focused around modes that aren't that much fun to be in for me. Time-travelling cowboy? Awesome! But Chrono somehow doesn't satisfy me with all the plinky damage (doesn't make sense when I love Tachyon, but there you go) and the bounty cards I'm continually forgetting I have out. And I love bards and Argent's backstory is super cool, but even though I worked hard to grok his deck I just find him more work than fun to play with all the hoop-jumping you need to do to make him really shine.

But generally it's hard to pick favourites because they all have different things that make them awesome.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

corran109
corran109's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

I love characters where you feel you're building up to an awesome mega-turn, and Tachyon and Unity do that for me.

This is what I like about Tachyon. I spend the entire game counting my burst count and getting excited, and then Boom!

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

But generally it's hard to pick favourites because they all have different things that make them awesome.

Hear Hear, the Truth has been spoken

:P

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I love characters where you feel you're building up to an awesome mega-turn,

And I love bards and Argent's backstory is super cool, but even though I worked hard to grok his deck I just find him more work than fun to play with all the hoop-jumping you need to do to make him really shine.

All that hoop-jumping results in one of those big mega-turns, though. In fact, if there isn't much destruction, AA could have multiple mega-turns in a row. :P

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I like Argent for similar reasons to AZ in that while they work really awesome once you build them up to get their good turns, it's usually not that hard to just throw down a card and still get to have them do something.

(I had one game against Deadline that was cake because it was pretty much just AA using Sarabande every power use he got.)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Jimeni
Playtester

If I had to pick a favorite hero, it'd be the Naturalist. I've always loved shapeshifters ... l like being a druid in D&D-type stuff. I especially love the Hunted Naturalist, not just because he can do some great gameplay stuff, but I like imagining him as like half-crocodile, or a combo of all 3!
Unity was one of the first expansions we bought and she quickly became a favorite back then. And is certainly still a favorite. Love her bot army!
Chrono-Ranger is also up there, as are Knyfe, Omnitron X, Argent Addpt, Tachyon, Tempest, Captain Cosmic and Absolute Zero.
This is all pre-OblivAeon ... Can't wait to try out those to see if any move up to the top of my list.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Don't think I've mentioned this yet but apart from the ones who are my favourites to actually play, my favourite hero power type thematically is Writhe with all his creepy-shadowy-darkness-void-will-eat-your-soul powers :D. But I also enjoy playing him as well. So there's that :).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

Nightmist, Absolute Zero, and Benchmark. laugh

Nightmist is the most underrated character in the game, in my opinion. You just can't be afraid of doing yourself damage. Cards will get you the relics and spells to control any situation, and heal yourself to boot!

Termi-nation AZ has a lot of combo-opportunity in the right team, but for consistency, I like Freedom Five the best. 

Benchmark (especially his 'and Demand' variant) is a very powerful character than can be nearly unstoppable when properly equipped. I've got him to the point where every turn he was using fly-by to do 2 damage to 3 targets (it then went back to his hand), allowed another player to use a power, and then healed himself for 3-5 every turn. 

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

Dansome

My favorite is probably Haka, followed by the Naturalist, Legacy, and then Tachyon.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Of those who are not part of the OblivAeon wave, it's a rough tie between Omnitron-X, Argent Adept, and KNYFE. I haven't been able to use the new ones much yet, but I think that Harpy and Benchmark will be up there once I get some games with them under my belt.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Since OblivAeon is released my fVourite is Stuntman, then Chrono Ranger, then KNYFE

Can you tell I like card plays and DPS?

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

My favorite representation is Parse

My favorite hero concept is... also Parse.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

jffdougan wrote:

Omnitron-X, Argent Adept, and KNYFE

Fascinating. How do these three go together.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Hankroyd

Favourite hero ever: Akash'thryia.

To avoid spoiler I will just say that what she does is fantastic and fun.

Then I will put in a tie the Hunted Naturalist for his polyvalence and Fugue Parse because if I could marry a card it would be Critical Multiplier.

Pages