The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Which kind of "first time any target..." is Backlash Generator?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Which kind of "first time any target..." is Backlash Generator?

Is it a

"When a Device is dealt damage, if it is the first time that Device has been dealt damage this turn, this card deals..."

or is it a

"When a Device is dealt damage, if it is the first time any Device has been dealt damage this turn, this card deals..."

?

I'm guessing the latter, because otherwise some villains can really incinerate themselves.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The latter and thats how the video game has it implemented.    Each Backlash Generator will only trigger one time and then no more until the next turn. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Blackfang108
Playtester

Glamour wrote:
The first time a Nemesis card would be dealt damage by a Hero target each turn, redirect that damage to the Hero target with the highest HP.

Backlash Generator wrote:
The first time any Device is dealt damage by a non-Hero target each turn, this card deals the source of that damage 1 Lightning Damage.

So, I guess the difference is "any" instead of "a".

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Blackfang108 wrote:

Glamour wrote:

The first time a Nemesis card would be dealt damage by a Hero target each turn, redirect that damage to the Hero target with the highest HP.

Backlash Generator wrote:

The first time any Device is dealt damage by a non-Hero target each turn, this card deals the source of that damage 1 Lightning Damage.

So, I guess the difference is "any" instead of "a".

The word "any" was used to try to make it clearer to players how this was supposed to work because the word "a" has been used very inconsistently in the past in Sentinels. Provockitor Tarnis in Kaagra's deck and wrong time and place in Setback's have virtually identical wording but work differently based on different definitions of the word "a".

Blackfang108
Playtester

And honestly, to me, I'd still be unclear if it wasn't for the mobile game.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Exactly what I was thinking. Just throw a Combat Stance on there for good measure!

Backlash Generator is even worse, because you have targets dealing damage and then you have Devices to keep track of!

Maybe we should construct a table of them all and which way they work...