The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What's in your Games cabinet?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester
What's in your Games cabinet?

I've been running a gamers club at my local library for almost 5 years, and the one thing I get to do every year is write up a wish-list of games I'd like for the club and present it to our 'liason' who uses our club budget to buy what they can off said list. We can get anything from a 1 lb. bag of dice to a new Munchkin expansion. We can even get rpg books like D&D and whatnot. The only two limits we have are 1) the budget for that year 2) what we buy has to still be in 'print' or still produced.

This year I'm a bit low on ideas, so I need you guys to give me some stuff I can put down on the wish-list. What are some of your favorite games(Aside from SotM and ST, I bring my own personal copies to every meeting ;) )? I've got the start of a list, but anything else you guys can suggest would be helpful. We're an 18 and up club as well, so games like Cards Against Humanity and the like are just fine.

I look forward to your suggestions! :D

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

My favorite games besides SotM are Space Alert and Hanabi, two excellent coops. Dead of Winter has in interesting take on semi-coops. I really enjoyed demoing Compounded at GenCon, and just ordered a copy for myself.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

My suggestions:

Dead of Winter

Suburbia

7 Wonders

Kingsburg

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Shadow Hunters

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Out of Board and Card games, I totally recommend BattleCon, Smash Up, Zombicide, and Mice and Mystics. Those are at least the games I tend to play the most (aside from GtG games prior to their merger with Dice Hate Me Games) whenever I have a group to play with. 

As for a Roleplaying System, my group pretty much exclusively plays Anima: Beyond Fantasy at this point. I enjoy it, the only downside to it is the company incharge of translating it is taking their sweet time bringing in the second edition and the next book that contains more setting details. Fortunately, the first is easily remedied thanks to the fans, which have created a document that details the changes. The spell system being the thing that changed the most.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

How big is the group? What kinds of games do you have already?

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

For both awesome and ease of play, this is my list of Things I Bring (not including what's already been listed), which seems right for this:

Coop (or semi-coop): Nanuk, Pandemic, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert

Social Coop: Avalon (also Nanuk to a small degree)

Fiercely Oppositional: Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Formula D, King of Tokyo

Friendly Oppositional: Tsuro, Tsuro of the Seas, Dixit

Social Oppositional: Coup, Sheriff of Nottingham

And my absolute favorite: Fiasco. Because I love me some roleplaying games. (Once Upon A Time gets a polite nod of respect here, too.)

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I recently acquired Eight Minute Empire. It's a pretty simple game of board control combined with item matching. It has some good possibilities for strategic depth while still remaining very simple. As the name implies, it is also very short - which means it fills a nice niche at game nights when you need something to fill just ten or fifteen minutes while you wait for that group next to you to finish agonizing over their last auction in Power Grid.

Edit: some other ones that haven't been mentioned and are in my friends' games cabinets: Stone Age, Zooloretto, and Alhambra.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

eviltoon wrote:
I've got to say, you don't have a very fierce group there, with Ticket to Ride and Carcassone.
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Dungeon Lords and Guilds of Cadwallon.

If you have an extremely large budget then I recommend Cthulhu Wars, but it's just slightly outrageously expensive.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I can answer this better if you let us know what games have worked well for you already, and what games flopped.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I can answer this better if you let us know what games have worked well for you already, and what games flopped.

Yeah, this. Also Mage Knight. Always Mage Knight.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

eviltoon wrote:

I've got to say, you don't have a very fierce group there, with Ticket to Ride and Carcassone.

Let's be clear, what I mean is you HAVE to oppose one another, and inconvenience the other actively. Games like Tsuro allow you to largely, if you want, act without intent to interfere.

Honestly, I despise outright hostile antagonistic games along the lines of Risk, where the ONLY goal is destruction. Those games do not appeal. I'm happier when the game requires working at odds, but not violently -- which is what this category is. Fierce might not be the right term, but it is nonetheless inarguable dispute occurring rather than just letting circumstances benefit you more.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I recently made a list of our current board games before the Boonshoft Museum Geekfest, to which I brought nearly everything).  Here's our list!

Owned Games:

Cash and Guns 2.0

Ninja Burger
Arkham Horror  (with King in Yellow and Innsmouth Horror expansions)
Apples to Apples (Party box version)
Era of the Ninja
Red Dragon Inn  (1 & 2)
Estimated Time to Invasion
Zombicide
Fortress America
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Ghost Stories 
Revolution (with Asylum expansion )
Sentinels of the multiverse  (with all expansions)
Sentinel Tactics  (with Uprising expansion)
Snake Oil
Innsmouth Escape
Hex Hex (with Hex Hex Next )
Pittsburgh 68
Toboggans of Doom
Three Cheers for Master
Unspeakable Words
Pirates vs. Dinosaurs 
Munchkin (Cthulhu, Super, Impossible, and Axe Cop varieties)
Risk: Godstorm
Castle Ravenloft D&D Adventure Game
Zombie Dice
Innsmouth Escape
Legends and Lies

Compounded (with expansions) (as soon as I give it to my wife as her birthday present)

Prototypes:
Dwarven Defenders

Dungeon Slam!

Sunnyvale Acres
Roswell 51

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

eviltoon wrote:

dpt wrote:
eviltoon wrote:

Let's be clear, what I mean is you HAVE to oppose one another, and inconvenience the other actively. Games like Tsuro allow you to largely, if you want, act without intent to interfere. Honestly, I despise outright hostile antagonistic games along the lines of Risk, where the ONLY goal is destruction. Those games do not appeal. I'm happier when the game requires working at odds, but not violently -- which is what this category is. Fierce might not be the right term, but it is nonetheless inarguable dispute occurring rather than just letting circumstances benefit you more.

In my experience, you don't have to oppose each other in Ticket to Ride or Carcassone.  In both games you can act purely in your own self interest and still create an engaging game.  Now, sometime you will take actions that will interfere with your oponents, but you're still doing so in order primarily to benefit yourself rather than specifically to hurt your opponents.  Compare say,Settlers of Catan, where moving the robber has only minor benefits for yourself, and is mostly a tool used to deny your opponents of resources.  That is a fiercely oppositional aspect, which neither Carcasssone or Ticket to Ride possesses.

Now I do think that this depends on your gaming group.  In my family we tend to have more friendly playstyles, and everyone can play to their own self-interest rather than trying to deny each other.  In other groups a more aggressive playstyle might be called for.

Incidentally, this is partially why I like Dungeon Lords so much.  In Dungeon Lords you pretty much never play to hurt your opponents (because balancing your own resources is too tricky to devote attention elsewhere), but collecting resources requires you to constantly play around them, meaning that you get a great deal of interaction with very little hostile intent.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

OK... based on the list you've got up there, I"m going to suggest the following things:

King of Tokyo

RoboRally

Guillotine

Hanabi

Ingenious (the only abstract I'm putting on the list, but I contend it lost the SdJ only because it was competing against Ticket to Ride)

Your group's choice of Fate Core or FAE (Fate Accelerated Edition)

Lords of Waterdeep

Coloretto (which I prefer to Zooloretto - although it might arguably be a second abstract)

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

A couple of ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

Superfight

Epic spell wars of the battle wizards

Smallworld ( a bit harder to learn, but still fun when it gets going)

And that's all I can think of off the top of my head, I'll have to actually check my collection later

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm a big fan of Glory to Rome. Sadly, it is out of print and so doesn't meet your criteria; but, you might try Mottainai, which is a very similar game (by the same designer) and was just released at GenCon.

jajd2c

My go-to games (other than SotM) are The Resistance & Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards. Others in my group have other games (we may have one or two Kickstarter addicts), such as Small World and Munchkin. Of course, this assumes we're not playing our role-playing campaign. Right now we're doing Only War, the WH40K Imperial Guard RPG. We might actually try to run a game of Battletech at some point, too.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

In my experience, you don't have to oppose each other in Ticket to Ride or Carcassone.  In both games you can act purely in your own self interest and still create an engaging game.  Now, sometime you will take actions that will interfere with your oponents, but you're still doing so in order primarily to benefit yourself rather than specifically to hurt your opponents.  

There's a whole class of resource management or worker placement games that meet these criteria. I like Puerto Rico and Stone Age as examples - you are trying to build the best thing for yourself, and sometimes that means blocking somebody else out, but it doesn't have to involve conflict. Seven Wonders can be played similarly, though the military option exists.
dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

There's actually some theory behind why so many multi-player games eschew direct conflict. If players can directly hurt each other, then all games become more-or-less isomorphic to "pound on the leader", and you lose the interesting dynamics that make a game unique. So either you'll have attacks that hurt all players equally (Dominion) or "attacks" limited to resource competition (Ticket to Ride, etc) or otherwise restricted (Titan, where you have to roll right) so that early-game choices matter. (That is, so that an early leader may face some headwind but isn't automatically dragged down.)

There's still the occassional game that's all about politics and trading and where you can make direct attacks (Diplomacy, Game of Thrones?), but they're clearly marked as such.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

I think that the reason is simpler than that.  Many games eschew direct conflict because many players don't like direct conflict.  But other players do like games like this, so many other games do include it.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Wow. Just...Wow. that's A LOT of games.

A club meeting is normally 2:45 to 3 hours long, and we play alot of pick-up games of Magic and such. We can actually play a few videogames as well (We have acces to a Wii, a PS3, a Xbox1 and a Dreamcast). Co-op or versus games are fine, since Munchkin and Sentinels are two of our staple games. And we have alot of standard board games as well, like Risk and Chess(We even have Candy Land :P). Though I say games that are good with around 2 to 5 people that won't eat up too much club time(Up to an hour, about). But really, as long as it's not too physically gigantic to fit on a normal table and does not take hours to play, then I think we'd give it a try. :)

We have a club meeting tomorrow, so I could give a more detailed list of our inventory if it's really desired.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

Arcanist Lupus wrote:
In my experience, you don't have to oppose each other in Ticket to Ride or Carcassone.  In both games you can act purely in your own self interest and still create an engaging game.  Now, sometime you will take actions that will interfere with your oponents, but you're still doing so in order primarily to benefit yourself rather than specifically to hurt your opponents.  

There's a whole class of resource management or worker placement games that meet these criteria. I like Puerto Rico and Stone Age as examples - you are trying to build the best thing for yourself, and sometimes that means blocking somebody else out, but it doesn't have to involve conflict. Seven Wonders can be played similarly, though the military option exists.

I suggested Lords of Waterdeep, which is also one of these. In my opinion, it's currently the most rookie-friendly worker-placement game out there.