The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

What do you want to see at the sentinel tactics world tournament?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
morph147
What do you want to see at the sentinel tactics world tournament?

So what do you guys what to see the greater than games crew do for the sentinel tactics tournament. Would love to see a couple of things. Especially since I feel like the winner should be the team who understands the mechanics the best.

1) the final round is the best two teams in the world therefore they need a challenge. Therefore since the sentinel tactics maps should be in by then (since they are showing them off at gen con) would love to see them use the for the finals. Make a wheel with all four maps and do a spin to decide which map best out of 3 match up. Different map each round, or let 1 team pick then the other then tie breaker flip a coin but make it so they have to play different maps. This lets us see who can come up with the best strategy on the fly and who truly understands the game mechanics for the win.

2) doubt it will be ready but maybe final be broken city and for profit characters only. 

3) change the character round. Let the players pick their characters then each team are allowed to change one players character on the other team. Forces a strategy change on the fly.

4) random character round. Kinda like the above but have all the character names in a box and have each team draw their characters and then that's who they play. Again forces players to show they know the mechanics.

so what do people think of these ideas?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Why do you think that these things not happening is a problem? Genuine question, not me being snarky.

I'm not a big fan of random characters, or having your character(s) changed by the other team. Selecting who you'll play is a big part of the strategy and I wouldn't like that to be removed. With the single veto now at least you get a second choice. And it would suck to randomise a team that doesn't work together so well if the other side got a team that does work well - that's adding in an extra dose of luck which is completely independent of "understanding the mechanics".

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

morph147

No it's cool I like these type of discussions it's how you make the game more fun when you go to play.

Which ones you talking about? The random environment or random character?

if you are talking random environment, my reason is if the players are the best then they should be able to know all the characters in the game and take one look at the environment and as a team come up with a couple strategies of who they want to pick and run with it.

if you are talking about the random character then In my head if both teams are completeLy random they should have roughly the same luck issue. By making it best of 3 and then in each round redraw the teams this should level it out a bit. This allows the players to show the best of every character and show a knowledge of the game instead of just staying here is 2-3 teams we want and if we don't get that exact team we lose. 

What I am worried most about is these tournaments start becoming the same issue that Magic the gathering tournaments have and made me fall out of love with the game. What has happen is 3 or 4 decks are the ones that win, sometimes it's to the point that only one deck will always win. So therefore if you go to play and don't play those decks you are going to be done early and everyone knows it so everyone has the same deck. No knowledge of the game required. 

Ultimately that's what I want to see from the first sentinel tactics champions. A knowledge of the game well enough that it doesn't matter what team they have, they can figure a way to win.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I see your concern about dominant strategies, but the problem cuts both ways.  If a couple of hero combinations are clearly superior to others, then randomization means that, through no fault of your own, you could be given a team of inferior heroes with little chance of winning.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

morph147 wrote:

if you are talking about the random character then In my head if both teams are completeLy random they should have roughly the same luck issue. By making it best of 3 and then in each round redraw the teams this should level it out a bit. This allows the players to show the best of every character and show a knowledge of the game instead of just staying here is 2-3 teams we want and if we don't get that exact team we lose.

Yes, but it could easily not level out, since your sample size is only three (at most).

If you want to force people to change up their strategies though, how about random bans? Before each team picks their bans, two or three other heroes get banned at random. Teams can still pick strategically, but at the same time if they're going for something specific and their star player gets banned, they have to try something new.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'll just throw this out there. I am not a big fan of rule changes during playoffs or championships For example, how the NFL had different overtime rules for the regular season and playoffs. Those final games should show mastery of the event with the same rules throughout.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

boxwood
Playtester

Have the other team pick your team for you, that would change things up. Probably for the worst.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

We have some plans which may or may not include some of these things, but I can tell you right now that the rules for the finals (bans, drafting, match length, etc) will not be different from prelim rounds.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

morph147

Paul wrote:

We have some plans which may or may not include some of these things, but I can tell you right now that the rules for the finals (bans, drafting, match length, etc) will not be different from prelim rounds.

thats fine and I understand the reasons that people have stated. The different environments will be nice to see because depending on environment changes what team is the best for this.