The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #264: The Primary Objective

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture
Weekly One-Shot #264: The Primary Objective

OblivAeon 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Challenge OblivAeon (Voss starts in play and takes no damage until OblivAeon is defeated, along with Champion Studios as the second environment) faces off against most of the Freedom Team, Legacy, Wraith, Tachyon, Unity, and Luminary. They start in Freedom Tower, and the fight can range to the rest of Megalopolis, Mordengrade, and Wagner Mars Base. 

Good luck heroes!

starkenburg_ale...

Mint (Woo! I knew all those OblivAeon games would pay off), though it was a close one. Ended with three environments destroyed and the OblivAeon shard taken out by Voss, but Benchmark had already done work with it and brought down OblivAeon and most of Voss with it first. The remaining heroes managed to finish the fight. 

And it was a strange fight. Not quite sure how I managed it, but every Scion was defeated, and most were by OblivAeon himself. I think the only one actually defeated by heroes was Faultless.

Anyway, Legacy and Luminary fell pretty early, so I tried my standard operating procedure for The Primary Objective, which is WWII bunker to get through the shield and regular Tempest to get immunity to a type of damage on his incap. The game didn't turn out that way though. Tempest survived to the end and it was Borr exploding that actually took out the shield.

After that, it took longer than I would have liked to get a good damage train rolling. I did get some healing and Scholar tanked quite a bit, but plink damage wasn't going to win. Benchmark eventually got fairly set up with Cannon, Missle Pod, and Cooling system, so when he was offered the Shard, I took it. Things started to blow up after that. Unfortunately, that included Benchmark once Voss started dealing irreducible damage. But Victory in the end!

~A-Kat 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This will be one-shot #2 that I never complete. :| It's just not possible to have enough heroes in both zones (to avoid constant devastation token buildup) while still having a fighting chance against OA once he's flipped. I lost the Multiverse in his third form, nevermind having to fight Voss. (That's so unfair.)

starkenburg_ale...

"This will be one-shot #2 that I never complete. :| It's just not possible to have enough heroes in both zones (to avoid constant devastation token buildup) while still having a fighting chance against OA once he's flipped. I lost the Multiverse in his third form, nevermind having to fight Voss. (That's so unfair.)"

You can do it TakeWalker! I believe in you! :)

I don't know if it will help you at all, but personally, once OA flips the first time, I ignore the other zone pretty much completely. 2-3 tokens per turn isnt worth trying to split the damage, both given and especially taken. What I do try to do ocassionally is let tokens build up to where he will blow up an environment his next turn, then move all the heroes to the other battle zone. When OA goes off, he will hurt/take out any Scions left in that zone, and will likely move over to the one with the heroes with either Disrupt Spacetime or Tear Through Reality (7 out of his 25 cards). If he's in 3rd phase, he will 100% move over. If he doesn't, you can move back over next turn.

That is pretty much what I did this game. I let him build to the point where he was going to explode Freedom Tower, then left for Champion Studios. He went off and one shot both Voidsoul AND Dark Mind, as well as setting Borr off. Order of operations meant Aeon Master and Empyron (replacements for Voidsoul and Dark Mind) took damage from both Borr and OA as well, flipping Empyron immediately and bringing AM down to ~20hp. Finally, Nixious came out (to replace Borr) to take 25 from OA as well. The heroes were perfectly fine chilling with Voss and Progeny in San Alonso, still set up with everything they had so far.

~A-Kat

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I know I made some mistakes, but that's basically what I did, and it didn't matter. :(

Escher

This isn't much of a "challenge" mode -- it's one extra scion in play, yes, but other than that the game runs pretty much as usual. Voss is so difficult to damage normally that I rarely have much or any damage on him by the time he flips.

I followed my usual strategy -- split up the party, finish as many missions as possible, and take out Oblivaeon's shield with the counter on "1". That tactic tends to work really well on Primary Target since there's really no randomness to this shield and it's based on missions to begin with. I ran through a LOT of heroes in rounds 3-5, though -- it's a rough one for a few minutes there, I admit.

I can't fight oblivaeon and get a mint, though -- I need my dang rewind, there's too much going on and I always miss crucial things or just mis-click somewhere along the line. I won it first time with an environment still in the bank, but I did have to bust out the 'wait, back up a second, what happened?' several times.

I managed to burn through three of Legacy's four forms, but to good effect -- just after getting Oblivaeon into his second form, Legacy tanked most of Borr's blast using a Heroic Interception, and that blast killed two additional scions AND flipped like three missions all at once, at the low cost of one Legacy, which made the whole game a lot simpler to deal with; and then later another variant Legacy used a second Interception combined with Next Evolution to entirely dodge the 20 infernal from San Alonzo going down (which also took down Empyreon's flipped side).

I dunno, it didn't seem that rough to me, other than that one turn where I lost almost the entire hero list because I had three scions ganging up.

I think there were only two or three rounds where I acutally left a scion unattended to target more damage on Oblivaeon (or Voss), and one of those was the last round anyway.

Unity was probably my MVP -- I ended up with Unity running the Mecha-Knight with Champion Bot and Legacy's Inspiring Presence, so it was doing ridiculous damage. (Note that if you have Idealist in play, you can manipulate the cards under Mecha-Knight without actually having it in Idealist's play area, which can be important -- you can power it up, but you wanna have Superego running cuz Mecha Knight MUST hit the full number of targets per use, even if that means hitting allies.)