The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #241 - Headline: Adrenaline

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
“Mad Dog”
Weekly One-Shot #241 - Headline: Adrenaline

Challenge Edition Deadline is going up against Lifeline (?!?), the Naturalist, The Best of Times Chrono-Ranger and the Argent Adept in the ENCLAVE of the ENDLINGS-INGS-ing-ings.

After last week's fight against Ultimate Edition Citizen Dawn, this was a walk in the park.  Got a mint with the heroes at 23/25/24/14.  Deadline never flipped and the heroes destroyed almost every one of Deadline's Catastrophe cards as soon as they came out.

A couple of seemingly random decisions at the start of the game paid off richly.  On round 1, Lifeline played "Orphic Repository" and when using his innate power let Chrono-Ranger draw a card.  This later decision let Chrono-Ranger play "Displaced Armory" on his first turn and put out "Temporal Grenade" and blow up "Magnetic Pole Shift".  This stopped Deadline from flipping on his second turn.

"Orphic Repository" is not a card I ever found great use for before, but here it was GREAT.  Rounds 2 and 3 Lifeline played "Unnatural Upheaval" to wipe out all the Catastrophe cards in play, and then at the end of the turn "Orphic Repository" pulled each card from the trash to under it.  On round 4, Lifeline used "Orphic Repository" to pull these two cards back into his hand where he could use them again.  I was convinced that Deadline was going to do something that would destroy "Orphic Repository" before Lifeline could recover these valuable cards, but fate smiled on me (or made things up to me after last week's one-shot - you still owe me, fate).

On the penultimate round, Chrono-Ranger took a gamble and played "Hunter and Hunted" (with 3 bounty cards in play) and then that round and the next just took Deadline apart. The last round, Chrono-Ranger was able to play "Compounded Bow" and did 12 points of damage to Deadline with it.  That's gonna leave a mark.

Fun match.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This game was hilarious. The first few rounds were a slow and steady buildup, using Gazelle and Unnatural Upheaval to get rid of Deadline's ongoings, and generally just having a nice, pleasant time.

Then Deadline flips, rocks the heroes' world, removes 4 cards from the environment, and I retaliate by wasting him in three turns. XD It wasn't even fair! Cosmic Immolation, Predator's Eye and both damage-boosting Bounties meant everyone had at least +2 damage dealt to him. A nice change from last week's. :)

Blackfang108
Playtester

The Naturalist as a crocodile did all the heavy lifting for me, though everyone contributed.