The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 235 Never Surrender

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
gossamerica2
Weekly One Shot 235 Never Surrender

Heroes unite against facism!  G.I. Bunker, XPW Tempest, Visionary Unleashed, PW Fanatic, and Setting Sun Ra take the fight to Grand Warlord Voss in Megalopolis.  Easy mint at 25/13/15/16/24 (and Fanatic would have been 6 higher, but she did an unnecessary Sacrosanct Martyr to finish him off).

The only thing that really went wrong here was Fanatic blind-playing End of Days to remove my early setup, but it was easy to recover.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint goodness with everyone (except Fanatic) around 10. Fanatic was low because of a Resolute into a 5 damage Sacrosanct Martyr to deal 8 more damage in the final turn.

GI Bunker makes Voss' DR pointless so leaving a minion out to keep him from flipping isn't a terrible idea. I just burned everything that came onto the board anyway and worked him down. Near the end, Tempest got his Cleansing Downpour so I could have slowed down to heal up more if needed but it wasn't. Ra did surprisingly little damage, usually using Flesh of the Sun God instead of his base due to a lack of targets.

~A-Kat

gossamerica2

Yeah, leave the Firesworn out, and Flesh of the Sun God means you can ignore them.  Or if things last long enough for Twist the Ether to come out, you can turn both of Voss's flip-side attacks to fire.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This was good fun. :D Bunker's power means Voss is helpless, and giving Tempest an extra chance to do 4 damage to him on Fanatic's turn meant he didn't stick around long. Also, I just so happened to play and use Flesh of the Sun God the round before the second spaceship came out, so it did exactly nothing on Voss's turn. Luckiest move I've ever pulled off! :D

“Mad Dog”

Mint at 20/17/24/25/25.  Ended on Ra's turn on round 7.  Voss was down to 1 hit point and Ra was going to break his staff over Voss' head, but he then had a different idea; he played "Wrathful Gaze" for the first time in any game I've played and used it to wither Voss away.  A nice way to end.

Nothing too difficult here.  I used several tactics that others have already mentioned.  Note however, if you count on Ra's "Flesh of the Sun God" to make the team immune to damage from the "Gene-Bound Firesworn", watch out for the enviornment card "Cramped Quarters Combat" that increases damage by 1 and changes all damage to melee.  Opps!  Didn't see that coming.  But then again, in my game Visionary used " Prophetic Vision" twice early in the game, so maybe I got farther down the environment deck than others did and others didn't see this card.

HOWEVER, of COURSE both of Voss' ships come out in the first half-dozen rounds.  That was worrisome early on.  I'm surprised that Voss didn't play a "Forced Deployment".  But then again, the team twice played cards to put a "Gene-Bound FIresworn" back on top of Voss' deck (which didn't accomplish anything for Voss), so maybe the heroes finished the fight before it came up.

One thing that worked well for me was for Fanatic to play "Embolden" first on Bunker and then on Tempest.  Both these heroes had -1 DR so only took 1 point of damage from "Embolden", and having two powers on their turn was very useful, especially when Tempest got "Cleansing Downpour" and used that to heal the hero team, countering the effect of "Embolden".  Nice teamwork, gang!

5/5.  Would fight again.

-metablender

Mint for me with everyone but Fanatic in double digits, earning me Completionist Guise to complete my collection.

A strategy I found useful was to keep Chastise on one of Voss's gene-bound minions, both preventing it from dealing damage and being damaged, so you can keep Voss locked on his front side while keeping AoE damage prevelant. Combined with GI Bunker's power, the team can readily shred through Voss's defenses. The spaceships and environment become the main concern then, as it was quite some time before I saw Forced Deployment. Made for a cinematic end with Xtreme Prime Wardens Tempest hitting Voss with Ball Lightning and a Thunderstruck, even as a new wave of gene-bound entered the battlefield.

gossamerica2

My first time through, I took long enough that Forced Deployment came out, but Brain Burn took the wind out of those sails.  If you play your cards right, you can finish him before the second spaceship comes out (or leat the police finish him off). Prophetic Vision, Embolden, Chastise, Flesh of the Sun God, you have everything you need.  And like Mad Dog, I made good use of Wrathful Gaze -- discarding it :-p