The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 228 Animal Crossover

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 228 Animal Crossover

Ultimate Chokepoint (If it gets destroyed, it goes to Chokepoint) arrives in the Maerynian Refuge, opposed by Prime Wardens Tempest, Extremist Sky-Scraper, Dark Watch Mr Fixer, Fusion Captain Cosmic and Writhe.

Good luck, heroes.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Really clever setup, with four heroes who highly depend on destroying their own cards. Or others. Make sure you're judicious with Huge Sky-Scraper, and give Mr. Fixer a Cosmic Weapon as soon as possible. Cosmic Crest will also protect Captain Cosmic and all of his constructs from most (but not all) of Chokepoint's damage. Remember this environment is more helpful than not.

I got a Mint and lost Tempest while doing it, but it was still pretty touch and go. At least this Tempest has ongoing destruction as an incap, he went down right when I needed it. :D

Griff's Dad

Ouch. Took me five tries to beat this one.  The keys were:

Tempest: Hold off on using his natural power until the Lightning Dome comes out. If you've put an Energy Bracer on him, he'll take minimal damage from his natural power and that lets him play a lot of lightning damage that will hurt Chokepoint.

Sky-Scraper: Play Rebounding Debilitator and put Micro-Assembler on Writhe. Use Rest and Recover to cycle Rebounding Debilitator (put it on the top of the deck instead of destroying it. Then Rest and Recover draws a card, and her Normal power lets you play a link).

Mr. Fixer: Get Driving Mantis out immediately. Then get one of CC's swords.

Aside: I tried a strategy of using Micro-Assembler on him to get his Grease Guns out and then cycling them. Still lost twice.

Captain Cosmic: Get out Cosmic Crest. Keep using it to heal the constructs when they get damaged.

Writhe: Use Fight and Fade to get the cloak out. Then use the Micro-Assembler to get out Umbral Siphon.

The Umbral Siphon was the key. Enough stuff gets destroyed that her healing was impossible to overcome in the first several games. Even so, Sky-Scraper and Tempest were down when I finally beat her.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

TakeWalker wrote:
Really clever setup, with four heroes who highly depend on destroying their own cards.

What if I told you the heroes were chosen for another reason..

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Near Mint after a close first game. Got her down to around 10hp but lots of healing and damage from card destruction (including the environment) and then also from discarding on her flip side meant I couldn't finish it.

Second game I went much more conservative and slowly took her down. I prioritised minimizing her damage with Hoist Chain and Cloak Projector which meant her AoE 2 damage was neutralized. Combined with Winds from Tempest for the big hits and the heroes were surviving much better. I just slowly worked her down over quite a few rounds for the win.

~A-Kat

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

MigrantP wrote:
TakeWalker wrote:

Really clever setup, with four heroes who highly depend on destroying their own cards.

What if I told you the heroes were chosen for another reason..

It might explain why there's a fifth hero who doesn't depend on destroying his own cards...

“Mad Dog”

Got a "Mint" with heroes at 5/1/12/14/6, and happy to get a win with all heroes still (barely) standing.  I used similar tactics others have mentioned above ("Umbral Siphon"/"Driving Mantis"/"Cosmic Crest" were key).  Just wanted to mention a fun "closer move" I used.

Chokepoint was at 5 hit points at the start of Sky-Scraper's turn.  She plays "Linking Incursion", hoping for a good draw, and gets one: "Compulsion Canister".  Sky-Scraper starts to play this on Chokepoint (obvious move), but then reconsiders, and plays it on Mr. Fixer!  Why?  Well, "Compulsion Canister" makes Mr. Fixer try to hit himself for 2 damage, but his "Driving Mantis" card lets him redirect it, so of course he redirects it to Chokepoint.  And since he's done damage, that triggers the "Autonomous Blade" construct on Mr Fixer, so he does another point of damage to Chokepoint.  Then the "Compulsion Canister" lets Mr. Fixer hit another target for 2 damage, so of course he directs it to Chokepoint, knocking her out.

Technically, this wasn't really necessary (Mr. Fixer and Writhe could have taken Chokepoint out without it).  But it was flashy and fun.  ;-)

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

TakeWalker wrote:
It might explain why there's a fifth hero who doesn't depend on destroying his own cards...
indeed

Blackfang108
Playtester

I was doing well.

Right up until she flipped with 4 constructs in play.

bolnerap

Mint at 6 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 5.

Tempest - mostly damage and card draw. I threw out Localized Hurricane and had him go to town trying to get good stuff. Ended up with a couple Chain Lightnings that I saved to pound Chokepoint later. Got good use out of a Dynamic Siphon being pinged by Writhe a couple times to keep laying on the Hurricane, and a Siphon hit from Leviathan helped end the game with Tempest using his base power to pile on more damage (and enable Fixer...).

Sky-Scraper - plopped a Micro-Assembler on Writhe, then kept swapping back and forth from Tiny to Normal to use Tiny's power for damage and do a couple plinks with Proportionist.

Fixer - Driving Mantis. Got a Cosmic Weapon on CC's second turn and got to use it a couple times, the second with a Crowbar. But mostly he sat and redirected damage. Had to take a Ball Lightning to the face on the final environment turn so he could then redirect the Leviathan hit for the final blow. 

Capt. Cosmic - only used his base power turn 1. Otherwise, it was plenty useful to just play the Crest, Weapon, and Siphon in that order. He blocked so much damage that I didn't want to risk losing his constructs by using his base power.

Writhe - Cloak/Siphon turn 1, then he lost the Cloak to being destroyed by Shocking Animation and that was that. But Umbral Siphon did WORK, and he was able to ping the Siphon with card plays besides.

gossamerica2

MigrantP wrote:
TakeWalker wrote:

indeed

I still don't get it.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

All of the heroes have the same (or very similar) names as Animal Crossing villagers.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh, first names. I was gonna say, I can't find Tempest on that list! XD