The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 221 No Holds Barred

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 221 No Holds Barred

Kaagra Warfange has landed in Rook City. Oposing her are X-Treme Argent Adept, X-Treme Captain Cosmic, Fugue State Parse and Super Sentai Idealist. Good luck, heroes.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

“Mad Dog”

Over in under three rounds.  Every hero at every opportunity gave Idealist extra powers and card plays, and she got aggressively set up and cleaned up the Bloodsworn before Kaagra even showed up.

Idealist got really tired of getting yelled at by Argent Adept, but hey, it worked.

Hero Favor 20/Bloodsworn Favor 8 (thanks to "Fickle Fans")

Heroes at 15/18/16/16

For Rook City, the environment was actually not bad.  Then again, it only got a chance to play 2 cards, so how bad could it have been?  (Well this is Rook City, so it could have been very bad)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Huh, leaning on the Idealist, you say? I did a little of that in my first ill-fated attempt, maybe I should try it again more aggressively.

flamethrower49
Playtester

Mint, all heroes in low teens, favor pools at 20/15, ended on the 5th turn. I made the game into the Parse show. In my experience, she is the absolute best hero against Kaagra because she can so easily avoid Get Back in There! and Kaagra's appearance.

I dug for Extrasensory Awareness as soon as possible, and finally got it out on round 3. She also got a bunch of her damage boost effects out to make the other heroes into monsters for the last couple rounds.

Interesting to note that title cards further empower Super Sentai Idealist's ego, thought I would have preferred for Xtreme Cosmic to be the Living Weapon.

“Mad Dog”

flamethrower49 wrote:
Interesting to note that title cards further empower Super Sentai Idealist's ego, thought I would have preferred for Xtreme Cosmic to be the Living Weapon.

I was able to finagle things so that Xtreme Captain Cosmic earned the title of "Living Weapon". I was curious if that title would give a +2 to damage to *each* of Captain Cosmic's attacks when using his innate power. Short answer: yes, yes it does, and it was GLORIOUS. So he is doing 3 points of damage for each construct in play. Boo-yah! (hey, he *is* xtreme; he would say things like that). The only down side was that his constructs kept getting destroyed as fast as he could play them.

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention: Tony Taurus came out early (round 1 maybe) from the environment deck, and I didn't notice right away that he wasn't taking damage. I *suspect* that's because the card says the strongest villain does damage to him, and I guess gladiators don't count as villains. That was a nice surprise and something I've never seen happen before. I don't know how many hundreds of games I've played, but it is nice that I keep getting surprised by interactions I didn't expect.

“Mad Dog”

TakeWalker wrote:
Huh, leaning on the Idealist, you say? I did a little of that in my first ill-fated attempt, maybe I should try it again more aggressively.

I *think* Idealist got to use a power 11 times in 3 rounds, and she finished the game on her turn with her card play. If she would have finished her turn she would have had 2 more power uses. For me, that's a record number of sustained power uses/round.

Now, I think Argent Adept did more damage to the Idealist than the environment or the gladiators, but it was worth it.

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Mint for me as well, leaning heavy on Idealist like everyone else. With her starting hand, it allowed her to set up faster and bigger than I could normally ever get her. I accidentally destroyed one of her titles when using her base power, but it was never an issue. Even when Kaagra came out, Idealist was doing high teens damage at that point.

As for Tony Taurus mentioned earlier, his card says that he is damaged by the highest villain character card target. As long as Kaagra doesn't come into play, Tony is your friend for the whole game, which really helps to control the deck.