The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 220 Deserialized

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 220 Deserialized

Ultimate Spite (so no maximum HP and he heals every turn) in Omnitron 4 vs the Wraith, Heroic Luminary, Dark Watch Expatriette, Sky-Scraper and Writhe. Good luck heroes.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This was a slog, but Writhe is so clutch against Spite. It just took forever to get the Umbral Siphon out, and once I did? Kinda didn't need it. The trick is to use it when he's about to flip, because the advanced rules let him heal a ton. But mostly, this was about having two (or three) characters who can reduce damage dealt without actually having to deal damage themselves, so that you rarely have to take a hit. The environment is a non-issue once Mindphyre comes out, though I love how you start with All According to Plan and it's kind of a trap.

And don't forget, Sky-Scraper is also clutch against Spite and just needs to spam Links at all times. Only don't mix the ones that prevent his damage with the ones that make him hit himself, you will feel really dumb when those interfere with each other, not that I would know what that's like. c.c;;;

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

My experience was about the same as TakeWalker. MegaComputer to lock down the minor environment damage, Skyscraper to put out lots of links and lots of options for reducing Spite's damage to nothing. Wraith got pinged for a little bit every round due to fighting her nemesis, but eventually Smoke Bombs took care of that. It was a looooong fight, but the outcome was locked in after the first few turns.

spudone

Been a lurker here for awhile.  What motivated me to post was that during this one-shot, Wraith's Smoke Bomb seemed to be working only randomly.  Most of the time I didn't get the popup to redirect the damage, and thus... lost Wraith rather quickly.

I managed to survive by keeping Expat using Pride (no ammo, to get past the damage reduction), and then Prejudice with Liquid Nitrogen Rounds and Speed Loading.  Then Skyscraper links and Writhe for additional reduction.  But with Wraith down it started to get bad.  I ended up winning with only Luminary standing, using Orbital Death-Laser twice with a full trash.

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Hey Spudone, welcome to the forums!

If your game was anything like mine, Wraith would not have been eligible for Smoke Bombs shenanigans because Luminary's devices counted as the lowest hp hero target. It wasn't until Wraith got to 5 hp or less that she could take advantage of Smoke Bombs. Then you have to be careful of the environment finishing her off since Smoke Bombs only affects villain damage.

spudone

The turn Wraith died on me, she was at 2 health, all devices were at 5, and the other heroes were somewhere in the teens.  I tried to use a stun bolt on Spite and the drug damage (forget which one) killed her.

yayeahyeah

Mint but wow, that was a slog. Skyscraper's links helped but I ended up with Luminary on 5 or so vs Spite on about 60. Thankfully, healing and damage reduction incaps let me build HPs up slightly while churning through for orbital death laser three times.

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

Yeah mint but what a slog. Spite is such an unusual villain. He invalidates the environment and his own deck, making every turn almost entirely predictable by the end... I wonder why he was designed like that.

bolnerap

Mint at 5, 28, 22, 19, 18.

Double Stun Bolt was a must, of course.

Luminary used Regression Turrets when possible but otherwise mostly got stuff out, used her base power a couple times, then dropped a 20 damage laser on the last round.

Expat didn't do much at all, I didn't get a Shotgun until very late in the match.

Sky-Scraper parked in Tiny form and replayed the same 3 cards (including 2 Compulsion Canisters) every turn for (usually) solid damage. 

Writhe was the real interesting one - Cloak Projector was great early, but Umbral Siphon for the last two rounds pre-flip saved me from having to deal a ton of extra damage (Spite flipped at all of 106), and back-to-back Nowhere to Hide -> Throat Jab combos, while slowing down Spite's suicide by Compulsion Canister, also allowed everyone to unload for two solid rounds with no fear of reprisal. 

TheRebelYell

I had some crucial misplays that led to a mint somehow I managed to whittle spite down from 208 hp. Like others my last survivor was luminary who is absolutely clutch against spite because he's discarding for her. I played explosive reconstructor almost as much as ODL. It wasn't til after the flip that I remembered umbral siphon. I actually won on sky scrapers incap ability turn by having spite at 5 health and playing a triple cross. Such is life but still a mint is a mint. 

Mark Adler

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Expatriette was also a non-factor in my game. She helped take out some environment targets early on, but afterward had nothing to do. In hindsight, I felt her worth would have been to spam her Speed Loading card to help overcome Spite's card return drug. Skyscraper did so admirably, but Expatriette adding to the fuel would have let Skyscraper have some more interesting card plays while having no effect on what Expatriette was doing every turn.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Yeah, Speed loading was really useful in keeping up with the setup drug.  I hate that one so much.