The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot 217 The Best Office Party

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot 217 The Best Office Party

Hunted Naturalist, Santa Guise, Chrono-Ranger, Freedom Five Tachyon and Legacy vs Advanced Proletariat, Baron Blade, Ambuscade, Bugbear and Fright Train in the Freedom Five Headquarters.

Good luck heroes

EDIT: Near mint. Forgot about Glamour's nemesis boost. Kill Glamour. Repeatedly if necessary (It's probably necessary)

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Melkhor

Mint here with all heroes still standing with HP ranging from 6 to 8. The key to my win was definitely to eliminate Glamour, and then Ambuscade with *extreme* prejudice to make sure she wouldn't come back. Once Glamour (and Ambuscade is gone), Legacy can tank until the cows come home, while the rest of the team focuses on doing damage :)

Elimination order for me was: Ambuscade, Fright Train, Bugbear, Proletariat (who eliminated himself without ever being dealt any damage from a hero whatsoever) and finally the Baron.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Boooy, that was rough. Got it on my third try, but I feel like there's a specific set of things that must be done or else you'll fall pretty quickly. Like keeping the Rigged Nets around so Legacy can play Heroic Interception for free. Focusing on Ambuscade early is a good idea; once Glamour's out, there's no reason not to.

bolnerap

Mint with only Tachyon standing at 2 HP.

Glamour was dead by the end of round 1. Ambuscade was dead after a round and a half, which was maybe not the smartest thing I've ever done, as Re-Volt ended up doing more damage than I'd anticipated. One round of Take Down, one round of Heroic Interception, and one round of Hypersonic Assault was enough to barely help us hang on. I guessed wrong on my first two uses of Santa Guise's flip power - if I'd flipflopped the turns that I used Chrono Ranger and Legacy, I would have come out a LOT better.

Also, I made a mild mistake with Displaced Armory, which could have pulled By Any Means back out of the trash because of Caspit's Playground. Whoops. I didn't get much use out of the hat, but it helped a little.

Elimination order: Amubscade (very early), Bugbear (eventually), Fright Train and Baron Blade (both on Tachyon's final turn), Ambuscade's final minions (Legacy's final incap turn), and then Proletariat KO'd himself to end the match.

“Mad Dog”

Mint with heroes at 14/12/13/13/9.

The heroes went into the last round with 3 villains still very healthy and did not realize it would be the last round.  The Naturalist got a killer turn that round with all three forms in play and played "Beastal Shift" to great effect.  Guise then copied Legacy's "Inspiring Presence" and let Tachyon open her presents which were wonderful, clearing out all of Proletariat's clones and really beating down Bugbear.  Chrono-Ranger then put both Proletariat and Bugbear down on his turn and Tachyon took out Baron Blade.  I was still thinking I was getting the hero team set up when they won.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

To respectfully disagree with TakeWalker, I don't think there is one true solution to this fight.  For instance, I never used the "Rigged Net" cards as he described (though that is a very clever way to use Ambuscade's snares to help the heroes and I wish I had thought of that).  I never saw Chrono-Ranger's "Displaced Armory" that bolnerap mentioned either, and in my fight Proletariat did not take himself out the way several others mentioned.

FYI, Santa Guise let Legacy open his three gifts on round 3, Naturalist on round 4 and Tachyon on round 5.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

“Mad Dog” wrote:
To respectfully disagree with TakeWalker, I don't think there is one true solution to this fight.

To be fair, there usually aren't for one-shots. It's probably a symptom of my usual strategy railroading me into some difficult decisions. :B

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Owww.

I minted, but a nasty glitch almost cost me the game. I double-played the Naturalist's Indomitable Force while I had Resilient Hide out, with the goal of cancelling all the 3-damage attacks for the round and letting boosted damage from Proletariat clones kill Proletariat. However, the game got really confused about redirects and the two Indomitable Forces somehow cancelled each other out, causing everything to hit its original targets for the round and I think possibly some things that should have gone to the Naturalist ignoring him in favour of other people? Not enitirely sure what was going on. (Each time, it required me to check which Indomitable Force would redirect first, and then nothing happened.) 

As a result, everyone on the team took 3 damage from Re-Volt, and then most people took 3 damage from Proletariat, and Baron Blade and Omni-Blade smacked the team around, and everyone ended up below 10 health that turn. 

Final score - only the Naturalist and Legacy were alive. But I won!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Are you sure that wasn't Glamour interfering with Indomitable Force? I played it early in my second attempt, and the "Glamour prevents hero cards from redirecting damage" thing didn't always seem to show up. Took me a while to figure out what I'd done wrong.

The PayneTrayne
Playtester

Gah. Turned what should have been a win into a loss because I was tired and let Legacy take too much damage. Going to try again once I've had some sleep.

Marcjt91

Next Evolution was a pretty big factor in me winning this one. Forgoing the +1 to damage in favour of Legacy being immune to Melee damage every turn (coupled with his Redirect card) pretty much handed me the win in this match up with villains who mostly rely on that type of damage. 

Made sure to KO Ambuscade after his turn though so I could quickly dispose of Re-Volt.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

@FrivYeti - Glamour says: "If Tachyon is active in this game, hero cards cannot redirect damage." Not a glitch!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

gossamerica2

How do you get rid of Glamour so quickly?  Ah, yes, Tachyon's nemesis bonus.  Too bad I didn't get Ambuscade down quickly enough, so she got shuffled back into he's deck, so I couldn't finish him off for awhile.  Managed a near mint.

flamethrower49
Playtester

Mint with heroes between 6 and 11. Order was Bugbear, (wait a bit), then in very quick succession, Ambuscade /Fright Train together, Baron Blade, then Proletariat off of Cornered Beast after his own boosted self-damage put him in range.

Everyone got a chance to do their thing, and Take Down, Hyperactive Senses, Hypersonic Assault, and Heroic Interception gave us plenty of cover. I waited too long to start opening gifts, as only Tachyon and Naturalist got theirs (4 apiece). Game ended about the top of the 6th round.

I didn't find Glamour to be as much of a pain as usual, as these heroes don't typically deal mass damage, and I didn't feel the need to make use of redirection. (Though I would have definitely missed that interaction and made an error if I had tried!) She went down on Tachyon's gift frenzy, but I didn't even bother taking down the rest of the Slaughterhouse Six, winning the game before it mattered. Keeping Legacy under Rigged Net is a great way to keep Ambuscade from going nuts.

qoala

Mint with 14, 11, 12, 7, 11 (Tachyon pushed the limits in the last round to ensure the game was over)

Order was Bugbear (saw an opportunity to burst him in the 2nd round and took it), Ambuscade, Fright Train, and Blade+Proletariat together during Tachyon's final turn.

We got 2 entire rounds of Take Down via shenanigans. Legacy played it on his first turn (getting run over by a train). Then in Caspit's Playground, Guise called dibs with Lemme' See That on the metaphysical representation of body-blocking your enemy (also getting run over by a train). And finally, the Naturalist used his craftiness to return it to Legacy.

Because of Lemme' See That, Take Down had no interaction with Legacy's 2nd turn. Destroying Lemme' See That between Legacy's andGuise's turns ensured that Take Down remained in play for the full 2 rounds.

flamethrower49
Playtester

qoala wrote:
We got 2 entire rounds of Take Down via shenanigans. Legacy played it on his first turn (getting run over by a train). Then in Caspit's Playground, Guise called dibs with Lemme' See That on the metaphysical representation of body-blocking your enemy (also getting run over by a train). And finally, the Naturalist used his craftiness to return it to Legacy.
Because of Lemme' See That, Take Down had no interaction with Legacy's 2nd turn. Destroying Lemme' See That between Legacy's andGuise's turns ensured that Take Down remained in play for the full 2 rounds.

I must say, this is inspired, and probably intended by the setup. Good on you for seeing it! I am not very good at making use of Lemme See That.

You could, if you preferred, do the same with Heroic Interception.

Melkhor

The key to my wind was *definitely* Next Evolution + Lead from the Front. Once Glamour (And Ambuscade) is dealt with, Bugbear, Proletariat, Fright Train and Baron Blade are almost entirely toothless in the face of a melee immune Legacy :)