The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #179 Primed to Fall

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Missingno
Missingno's picture
Weekly One-Shot #179 Primed to Fall

AKA the Fall of the Prime Wardens, part 2.  Challenge Kismet vs Tempist, Captain Cosmic, Haka, Fanatic, and Argent Adept, all Prime Wardens Varients, at the Myrinian Refuge.  Compared to last week's oneshot, this is a lot easier since all Kismit's doing is 5 damage to whoever holds her Talisman at the start of their turn.  Mint at 13/14/19/10/10.

The gimmick with this match is that Kismit gets out Lady Luck and Incociveable Obstruction out very early, making it tricky to hurt her and tricky to get rid of her stuff, and only AA draws the tools needed to deal with ongoings, and this is only after two sessions of Conduct to get the drum from intrumental conjuration.

Aside from that, make sure everyone has at least one card in play at the start of the match and make doubly sure that Fanatic's is Undaunted.  There's a lot of 1 damage going around, including an early Two Left Feet which has no effect on someone immune to instances of 1 damage.  I alternated giving the power use to Haka and AA for either more damage or just more attempts at breaking ongoings.  I only got rid of Inconcivable Obstruction, but since the only jinxes I saw were Shakey Arm that was put onto AA and Two Left Feet all Lady Luck did was mill Kisnmet's deck.  Aside from that I just lay as much smack down as I could and it worked out.

I'll put things in here later.

FearLord

Fairly easy Mint. It was hard to deal with her Ongoings, but continued pressure was able to put decent damage into her despite the large number of Targets in Maranian Refuge for her to redirect into. On the positive side, only one of the targets is a threat to heroes, so I was content to just force through until the deck was empty, at which point Tempest was able to blast her for some considerable damage very quickly with Localised Hurricane, Genebound Shackles and various high damage one shots.

The Challenge text didn’t come up much - I only damaged the amulet in front of her when I had to, and there was generally enough damage to flip it straight back again if it ended up in front of a hero.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint with something like 6/4/8/0/0. I am not used to playing Kismet Challenge and let her hold the Talisman too long I think. AoE boosted by 3 hurts a lot more than 5 to one target.

Either way, I consistently plinked her down, even through Obstruction. Used Localized Hurricane more for the card draw to find Ball Lightning more than damage. Slowly whittled her deck down while trying for every ongoing destruction I could. Never did luck out though, and Lady Luck stayed in play until her deck was empty. Near the end, I played a sacrifical End Of Days to finally clear out the board, and from there it was a matter of bringing down her last 20 hp. Haka Battle'd into some overkill, but brought her down.

~Komori

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Mint here, which unlocked Guise! AA went down but his redirect was the final killshot.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

So much easier than last week's. I was very thankful for this one. The environment played such a weird role, too, with half the targets something you actually wanted to have out, except that they kept flipping the Talisman. XD

“Mad Dog”

A public announcement in the Maerynian Refuge:

"Let's hear it for the Squall-Guard, those fearless defenders of the Maerynian Refuge!  A villainous human tried to invade our new homeland, but the Squall-Guard bravely battled her, and even in the face of her strange human powers were able to defeat her.  Good work, Squall-Guard!  Let's give a mighty 'Hurrah' to the brave boys... um... girls.. um... members of the Squall-Guard!"

Yeah, this week's one-shot goes a long way for making up for that <word-I-won't-use-in-public> that was last week's one-shot.  When I saw last week that it was listed as "part 1", I was very nervous, but this week's one-shot was a nice change of pace.

The heroes started out well-stocked and quickly started knocking down Kismet's hit points.  Some of the heroes took a lot of possibly-unneeded damage from the Talisman being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I should have paid more attention to that.  But just blindly pushing through and punching things, the heroes did pretty well.  They won in 4 rounds with the heroes at 13/26/26/21/21.

And as I opened with, the Squall-Guard ended up doing a fair bit of damage to Kismet.  And Kismet, with her "Inconceivable Obstruction" card in play all game, really accelerated getting the entire Squall-Guard in play.

Fun match.  Don't worry too much about Kismet's annoying ongoging cards.  They are hard to get rid of, and ultimately you can just brute-force your way past them.  Luckily this team of heroes have lots of ways to do damage multiple times a turn, so while "Inconceivable Obstruction" was annoying, it wasn't a show-stopper.

5/5.  Would fight again.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Easy Mint, no one below 17.

I managed to destroy Lady Luck on my first attempt, so the ongoings never became an issue for me.

And I unlocked Guise, so now the only achievement I have left is Infection! Hooray!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Andy7675

McBehrer, i have the Infection achievement. If you want to, i'd be happy to organize a time to play online.

i just got my shiny new Guise variant myself and i'm looking to test it out!

"Wait, i have to do WHAT to unlock that? How the heck did the community figure THAT one out?"

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yes! What time zone are you in? That will help. I work overnights, so my schedule is kinda wonky, but I would definitely appreciate the help!

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

scifantasy
scifantasy's picture

Ooh, I'm in too, if you have room and can set up a time.

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Finished with a minit, but it ended up close with Tempest and Argent Adept knocked out. I was likely not aggressive enough so Kismet had a handful of Jinx cards out when she wiped the environment out and hit everyone with the tattered remnants. The environment had 8 cards out. Everyone took around 15 damage that turn once she was done playing all her cards. Luckily, Haka had all 3 Dominiion cards out when that happened, so a large Haka of Battle finished the game off soon thereafter.

MsbS
MsbS's picture

Near Mint for me (2nd try) - my 2nd weekly challenge ever, 1st fight with Kismet and 1st game with these hero variants (I am still new to the game). In my first attempt I learned what a PITA Lady Luck was! In the 2nd attempt I made a stupid mistake when rearranging Kismet's cards (before destroying Lady Luck with Argent Adept) - wasted an action as a result. But Haka's Dominion helped out - after she wiped the environment cards, Haka had plenty of stuff to discard for his Haka of Battle.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

I thought I would be clever and play Chastise on the Talisman to keep it with the heroes to keep her flipped, while preventing it from dealing damage.  But apparently it counts as a hero target when the heroes have it, despite coming from a villain deck.  Then I spent most of the game trying to get AA setup to destroy Lady Luck after placing a Lucky card on top with the Talisman to make sure the destruction worked.  But by the time I was able to pull that off, I had done enough damage to her meanwhile that I just finished her off with Fanatic powered up with a big Haka of Battle instead.

NyxFSSD

rjc917 wrote:

I thought I would be clever and play Chastise on the Talisman to keep it with the heroes to keep her flipped, while preventing it from dealing damage.  But apparently it counts as a hero target when the heroes have it, despite coming from a villain deck.  Then I spent most of the game trying to get AA setup to destroy Lady Luck after placing a Lucky card on top with the Talisman to make sure the destruction worked.  But by the time I was able to pull that off, I had done enough damage to her meanwhile that I just finished her off with Fanatic powered up with a big Haka of Battle instead.

It's not that it counts as a hero target at all, it's that the Talisman counts as a character card, due to the nature of it (being double sided, notably), and Chastise doesn't work on character cards. This is working as intended.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

The Talisman is considered a character card and that’s why Chastise can’t be used on it.   It was a ruling made by Christopher even before the video game release https://greaterthangames.com/comment/21537#comment-21537

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

Ah, I forgot about the double-sided means character card ruling.  It's consistent, but it's not intuitive that a lucky rock counts as a character.

Bigbywolfe

Easy Mint and a fun match, which was a welcome relief as I still have not beaten last weeks challenge...