The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #175 Home Is Where the Heart Lies

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One-Shot #175 Home Is Where the Heart Lies

Citizens of Mordengrad. The American serial killer, (Challenge mode) Spite, has been spotted inside our fair country. All citizens are advised not to approach this dangerous intruder, but to report immediately to a member of the Blade Battalion! Fortunately, our glorious hero, Ivan Romanyat, has recruited Redeemer Fanatic, the Idealist and Visionary Unleashed to assist him in dealing with this dangerous foe.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

First fight resulted in Luminary taking exactly enough damage to be incapped in the end. :/ If I'd saved Thiago, I wouldn't have had to worry about it. I never saw a Death Laser until the round before he was taken out, either, or this would have been a much different game. Not sure I want to go back through it again until someone has a solution, Spite is just awful. At least the Challenge mode rule didn't really have an effect on anything.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Luminary was the MVP for my team.  Got Karate Robit out quickly, and kept doing 10+ damage per round with minimal effort once i had the Tiara and Strained Superego out.  Monster of Id came out slightly earlier than I would have preferred, so I punched myself furst round, and then never had to deal with the downside again.

Visionary was also MVP with an early play of Twist the Ether.

This was a slog, but a fun one.

Especially after Luminary got 12 devices in play after an Explosive Reconstructor launch.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint with everyone mid teens.

For (Challenge even) Spite, I was fairly surprised.

MVP was Twist the Ether with the "Choose this option for all game" to reduce his damage and skip all of the "What type of damage? Increase or Decrease" dialogue :P

Between TtE and Regression Dart drones, Spite was whiffing for a good portion of the game. I kept plinking away at him to keep his hp somewhat reasonable, and used Blade's power use every chance for Spite to discard more cards for him :)

By the time all 5 drugs were out, Blade had 20+ cards in trash and a LAZOR!!!! in hand, Idealist had a 8 card Karate Robot, Fanatic had Wrathful and a handful of cards, and 4 victims under the safe house. He did not survive the first round after he flipped.

Also, using Visionary as DPS felt weeeeiiirrrdddd.

~Komori

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Yes Spite, by all means, fill Luminary's trash.  Easy Mint at 21/16/8/19.

Really the big thing here is that two heroes can reduce Spite's damage, and Spite becomes a very long cakewalk when that happens.  Fanatic kinda bricked the whole game so her main thing was just contributing cards to be sent back come lategame.

I'll put things in here later.

Melkhor

Double Twist the Ether on Spite = Foregone conclusion. It was awfully nice of Spite to help Blade fill his trash so easily though, made it much easier to dispose of the unwanted murder-tourist with the traditional Mordengradian deportation by Orbital Death Laser! :)

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

Surprisingly easy mint. Got Wrathful retribution early and Spite seemed more than happy to fill Luminary's trash to feed the leser. With Vis putting Twist the Eather on Spite and Luminary hitting him with regression turret shots to nullify most of his attack, it was just a matter of time to just hit him really hard.

The Grim Digger

Mint with 10/16/7/14.  It got significantly easier once Spite flipped, since that coincided with getting out two Twists,so he never did more than 1 damage past that point (I lost my Regression Turret early and never saw another one) and he stopped healing himself every time I used a power.  Having 5 cards under the safe house when he flipped sped things up nicely, as well.  Never did manage to deploy a doomsday weapon, sadly.

Another surprisingly useful combo was Divine Focus and Compound Upsilon; Fanatic could play it on her turn, discard a few cards for damage, then return it to her hand in the villain turn and re-play it without having to take damage.  Since I never saw Absolution, that was her best source of DPS.

bolnerap

Mint at 21/20/22/23

Luminary missed a shuffle on the Orbital Laser, but kept Disposable Defenders out all game and his Nanites were invincible in short order because Twist the Ether made everything melee. Still, got consistent use out of "play damaging one-shot -> use Regression Turret -> sit back and laugh" for a few turns before he unloaded a 27 point laser.

Fanatic missed Wrathful Retribution after an early power use and I never saw it. She was mostly there to recycle an ongoing every round; by the end, that was Divine Focus, as someone else reported.

Idealist got fully set up and loaded down a Karate Robot with 20 cards.

Visionary opened Twist the Ether (thanks, Luminary!), then dropped Foresight and got the second TTE before Spite flipped. Once both TTEs were out, the game was a formality. 

I was only able to get two Victims in the Safe House before the flip - he kept destroying them the same turn he played them. He flipped with 100 HP; I chipped him down to 83, then burst him in one round (Visionary did 7 with her base power, Blade dropped a 27 point laser and some other plink damage, Fanatic kept canceling his DR and sometimes actually hitting with Divine Focus, and Idealist dropped a 3-Fragment Vivid Thoughts into a 42 point Karate Robot).

FearLord

Mint. Spite flips fairly fast and if you get Twist the Ether on him it slows him down a lot. Spite helps fill Luminary’s trash pretty quick - I hit him with the death laser twice in this game.