The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #172 The Last Wager

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One-Shot #172 The Last Wager

In a day late April fool’s edition, so perfectly on brand, we have Ultimate Wager Master vs the Harpy, Dark Watch Mr Fixer, Scholar of the Infinite and Guise in Rook City. Have “fun”, heroes.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Important question, how deep is Losing to the Odds in this game?

I'll put things in here later.

FearLord

Mint. I doubt this will follow much of set path for many people, but my tactic was to flip him quick to get rid of the damage reduction and then pounded on him as quickly as possible with Guise the Barbarian / Blatant Reference and Scholar’s Discard hand for damage card into his base power with Harpy and Fixer adding what they could.

FearLord

Missingno wrote:

Important question, how deep is Losing to the Odds in this game?

i didn’t see it at all. I won by reducing him to zero hp.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Easy Mint. I was actually shocked by how straightforward this was. Maybe I got lucky? He shuffles an awful lot. But yeah, flip An Unwise Wager, take out a Wageling so he flips and loses the DR, then go to town. He had Who Are You Really Fighting, but Guise especially was fast enough with the damage that it never got a chance to flip back up.

I lost out on Guise the Barbarian because of turn one Don't Dismiss Anything, though. :C

Reverend Pete

If "Who are you Really Fighting?" flips back up on Wager Master's flip side, this One-Shot is really challenging....Mr. Fixer doesn't have a Tire Iron in at least the top 25 cards of his deck (I was trying to get through it as fast as I could). I don't think there's another way on this team to destroy targets without reducing them to 0HP.

This happened on my first two games. The heroes did not win them.

On the third try, "Who Are You Really Fighting?" stayed flipped down, and it was a cakewalk.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Mint with something like 6/8/18/9 hp.

I can actually recreate the exact steps to this result since its not a randomized start? :O

But anyway, yes, I flipped him quickly, then just wailed on him as much as I could. Ended on the start of the 4th round with Guise (With Playing Dice with the Cosmos and Breaking the Rules out, Guise could Power into Guise the Barbarian, deal extra damage, then play Say Cheese! for even more damage)

If someone desires a write up of how I got it, I guess I could.

~Komori

Blackfang108
Playtester

Mint, but not easy.

Who are you fighting was the first (OFC) card flipped when i flipped WM, and so I had to get him to flip back, and Guise and harpy were down before he flipped again.

But Fixer and Scholar were able to take him down before he got another turn.

“Mad Dog”

Okay, I need a hint; no matter what I do, Wager Master's condition card "Who Are You Fighting?" is ALWAYS the first card that Wager Master flips back to its "in play" side after he flips to his back side.  I've tried:

- flipping or not flipping "An Unjust Wager" on round 1;

- destroying Wagelings in either order (first Wageling, then second or second then first);

- not flipping any of Wager Master's cards on round 1, but then doing it in round 2 in any number of orders;

- flipping 2 or three cards on round 1 or round 2, in most orders.

And EVERY time "Who Are You Fighting?" keeps coming back immediately.  I can do lots of damage to Wager Master once he flips, but I don't know how to get rid of this card or what to do to get it to not be the first card flipped.  What are people doing in round one that leads to this card  NOT being the first condition card flipped?

Or is there a way to win with this condition card out?  I've looked for Mr. Fixer's "Tire Iron" as one solution, but I have dug quite a way through his deck and am not finding it.  Similarly, I have been lookng for "Losing to the Odds" in Wager Master's deck and am not finding it anywhere near the top of his deck.  Is there some other approach that I am missing?

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

No, that's about it, unfortunately. If it comes out, you have to flip him twice. :/ I'm not sure why it is, though, since not everyone's getting it. There must actually be randomness involved in the shuffling. Or maybe what you pick when he plays Pick a Card, Pick a Fate? (I picked Ongoing, which is usually the best choice, and got Impossible Quandary instead.)

“Mad Dog”

Ah, that did the trick, TakeWalker; thanks!  I got lucky my first game guessing "one-shot" and never thought to vary that.

On the negative, the heroes were in a much better setup if they guessed "one-shot".

On the positive, the heroes were able to win before the end of the third round.

So, all in all, I think it worked out better.  ;-)

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Like everyone else, I flipped him early and took him out on Scholar's turn in round 3. I was really looking forward to some fun with Guise playing off of Harpy and Mr. Fixer, but Wager Master had a lot of ongoing destruction and then the Blatant Reference + Guise the Barbarian combo was the clear winning play. 

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Mint at 8/18/16/10 from following TakeWalker's strategy of bumbling with Pick a Card, Pick a Fate to avoid Who are you Fighting

I advise playing don't dismiss anything on turn 2, not turn 1.  It gets Harpy a second power usage and Fixer gets his redirect style out to chip away at Wager Master.  Guise just smacks him if you do this.  Ended with Know When to Turn Loose on turn 3.

I'll put things in here later.

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Ugh, that was rough for me.

My first time, I accidentally clicked the wrong card at the wrong moment, top-decked Harpy, and unleashed her Arcane Explosion at a moment when (a) she had a damage boost in play, (b) she mostly had bird tokens out, and (c) Wager Master had both all his Wagelings and A Burning Sense of Failure, but wasn't flipped yet. 

The result was that first Harpy hit all the Wagelings for 3 and Wager Master for 1, then the Harpy hit everyone for 4 (except Wager Master, who took 2) and then three Wagelings flipped which caused everyone to hit themselves for 3 (except Harpy who hit herself for 6) and then Wager Master whalloped various people for 2 each, and then Wager Master flipped on his turn and flipped down two more conditions, killing Harpy, and then flipped up Playing Dice with the Cosmos and I lost.

My second time, I was playing more cautiously but I was also trying to empty out Wager Master's deck, and I completely forgot about Toxic Sludge, which hit Wager Master when his deck was almost empty, flipping Not At He Seems, causing him to flip and flip everything else, and then his deck emptied and reset before Not All He Seems returned and I was too battered to stop him.

So then I gave up and flipped him early and beat him to death and it was much easier.