The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One Shot #169: Capitana Maravilosa

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester
Weekly One Shot #169: Capitana Maravilosa

Ultimate La Capitan in the Court of Blood vs Fugue State Parse, Dark Watch Expatriette, Unity, Young Legacy and Super-Scientific Tachyon.

As it’s Ultimate, you start with crew and they keep coming back while she’s busy destroying your stuff. And not a fremlin in sight to solve the problems.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

All I’ll say on this is that it look’s more imposing than it actually is. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

The Girl With N...

This one’s a rare skip for me. I’m sure there’s a way it can be done, but, like... I would rather eat a shoe than have to deal with Ultimate La Capitán. It’s probably more fun.

Powerhound_2000

I’d disagree highly about eating a shoe being more fun.  It looks intimidating but this team can handle it.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I minted. The beginning was really dicey but it's a really good team and by the end it wasn't even that close.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

The Girl With No Name wrote:

This one’s a rare skip for me. I’m sure there’s a way it can be done, but, like... I would rather eat a shoe than have to deal with Ultimate La Capitán. It’s probably more fun.

I agree that it does look bad to start, GWNN, but it actually isn't bad.

Minted with everyone ~10-15 hp. Spoilers below for those that don't like spoilers.

Yes, the first round is brutal, with my Expat dropping to 9 hp, but Legacy starts with Heroic Interception, draws another one, and Tachyon draws 2 hypersonic assaults in quick succession. I had a full 4 rounds of nothing to get set up and start whittling away at the crew, targeting Mable and the ship to keep card play and destruction down. By the time those 4 rounds of almost no damage were done, Unhallowed Halls was out helping keep the crew from healing from La Capitan's flip side and everyone was decently set up. Playing everything I could from Unity (Parse power, Tachyon power), I even had a decent number of bots out.

It took another couple of rounds of plinking down her sizable stack of hero cards and controlling her and the environment, but once she flipped I almost 100%-0'ed her in one round (Something like 75->8).

~Komori

Melkhor

Easy Mint here with Young Legacy down around 10 and everyone else sitting nice and comfortable at 20+. As others have said, the first round looks brutal, but this team is *far* more brutal still. With all the possible extra card plays from the bottom of the deck available, Unity can amass a HUGE bot army at record time and Chomp Maria Helena etc. and her crew into the dirt with almost laughable ease.

Griff's Dad

Easy mint. I play a lot of games with Legacy + Super Scientific Tachyon. Give me two Heroic Interceptions, two Hypersonic Assaults, and plenty of ways to take out villain ongoings? Even better. Let me have Parse play Extrasensory Perception to at least partially control the Captain's deck? I'm happy. The key really becomes having someone kick up on-goings every turn that you don't mind being destroyed.

Expat was around 9, everyone else was in the high teens. I had the Captain down to about 50 before she flipped, and got all her cards out in one round so she flipped back. Unity had several Bots up, Expatriette could still Unload all her guns at once, Tachyon had 2 lightspeed barrages in her hand and about 15 bursts in the trash, so it was all over in minutes.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

starkenburg_alexander wrote:

Yes, the first round is brutal, with my Expat dropping to 9 hp, but Legacy starts with Heroic Interception, draws another one, and Tachyon draws 2 hypersonic assaults in quick succession.

Yaknow, I think I might need to take more care of who takes what hit to begin with. I had Legacy down to 9 HP after the first turn, so I never wanted to play the Interceptions lest she die to lowest-hitters. :/ Boy, this was rough.

The Girl With N...

So because everyone shouted me down with, “But it’s easy!”, I gave it another shot (I’ll be honest and say I quit the first game after I saw Mable). Near Mint. And wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t find it very fun, because sometimes difficulty doesn’t actually factor into a game being fun or not. Some people just don’t enjoy La Capitán. 

Forgive my frustration, but I feel a little insulted that everyone seemed to instantly go, “Oh, well, you must not be very good to not like it. It’s easy, trust us!”

Powerhound_2000

I thought you were saying the start looked so bad that you didn’t want to try it.   If it gave me the impression that you don’t like La Capitan altogether I wouldn’t have said anything and I’m sorry if it came across as saying it was so easy just do it.   Good job on winning this matchup.  

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Even if you mess up the Intercept, Intercept, Hypersonic, Hypersonic strat this is still pretty easy.  PROTIP, HIT EXPAT ON TURN ONE, NOT LEGS!

Mint at 18/18/18/0/15

Legs went down early so she was constantly supplying extra powers to Parse and Tach, mostly Tach.  Expat spent the game using the submachine gun about as much as the shotgun since there was so much crap on the screen.  Most of the fight was keeping the crew in check until I had stored enough power for Unity and Tach to anihilate La Capitan in a single turn (targeting arrow and a few shots helped.)

Also there's an unhallowed halls at the bottom of the envo deck, use updated intel to get it to the top ASAP.  It'll do you more good than harm in this fight.

I'll put things in here later.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Whoof, yeah, making sure Expatriette is the lowest really makes a difference, but it sure doesn't make this easy. Near Mint, finishing off La Capitan with a 14-point irreducible Lightspeed Barrage when she had 13 HP was incredibly satisfying. Also, I was very pleased to find out that her flip-side advanced rule redirects to the highest non-villain target, not hero, so Matron Erszi served a purpose. :)

Blackfang108
Playtester

Fun mint.

Starts off hairy, but was pretty easy starting about halfway through, even though I struggled to actually KILL the ship until unhallowed halls saved me.

LC had something like 15 cards under her for the longest time, so I plinked those away, and she was at full when her last card went down.

I then proceeded to absoultely destroy her in three turns, with Legacy taking 2 swings on her turn with the ring and Inspiring Presence out, Platform bot and 2 Mr Chomps bolstered by Champion bot (dont' remeber how many other bots were out.  at least one), and finishing off her remining 45 hp with 3(!) 17 point Lightspeed Barrages.

That's the most damage i've ever done in a single round, I'm sure.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

The Girl With No Name wrote:

So because everyone shouted me down with, “But it’s easy!”, I gave it another shot (I’ll be honest and say I quit the first game after I saw Mable). Near Mint. And wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t find it very fun, because sometimes difficulty doesn’t actually factor into a game being fun or not. Some people just don’t enjoy La Capitán. 

Forgive my frustration, but I feel a little insulted that everyone seemed to instantly go, “Oh, well, you must not be very good to not like it. It’s easy, trust us!”

I intended no such insult, GWNN. I merely didn't want you to be scared off by a daunting looking one-shot that I personally did have fun with. Part of that was because it looked so intimidating but turned into something not bad at all (at least for my attempt). 

Feel free to ignore our inane comments anyway if you just dont like the setup. For example, I probably wouldnt even attempt Challenge Akash without a spread of damage dealing heroes because I wouldn't like the slog. We're all just trying to make sure the most people have fun with something we all enjoy.

~Komori

Missingno
Missingno's picture

LC had 9 cards under her during my fight.  She probably would have had more had Legacy not dropped on La Capitan's second turn.  I also never had to deal with the redirect too much since I didn't hit her on her flip side once she was out of cards.

I'll put things in here later.

FearLord

Mint. Ultimate La Capitan is one of the nastiest fights in the game, so this was surprisingly easy. With quite a bit of damage prevention available early you can get some decent set up going on. Took a bit of time to flip her back, but once she did Inspiring Presence and Targetting Arrow allowed everyone (particularly Unitity’s bot army) to take her down from practically full. I didn’t make it to Tacyhon’s turn, but she could also of hit for a pretty big blitz if needed...

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

I targeted Legacy on the first turn and it still turned out to be a convincing mint. There's really not much that happens after that first turn thanks to all the damage reduction. I like Takedown better than Heroic Interception. If you focus on Mabel, the ship and then anyone who hits the lowest hit point target, you won't have to protect Legacy for long anway, not with all the damage this team can dish out.

Tyrsis
Playtester

Squeezed out a mint after a lot of very poor SS Tachyon plays leading to just discarding. 

bolnerap

I went with my usual Ultimate LC strategy of "let her flip -> build up for big turn -> nuke her", and it worked thanks to 1x Heroic Interception + 2x Hypersonic Assault. (The first HI got blown up due to card plays from La Capitan in round 2 before it could prevent damage. Oops.) So, I lost Expat on LC's second turn, but that's OK - she kept passing powers to Tachyon, who got through her entire deck by only using her power on herself, along with some bonus power uses from Parse and Unity. When it was time to burn down LC, Tachyon was ready to do 66 damage. As you may imagine, Parse/Young Legacy/Unity were more than capable of doing the other 9.

Patsien

I don't imagine any of you recorded your play through on Youtube or something, eh?  I'm awful at these one-shots but I do love watching others do it.  I used to watch TheHeroOfLight but it looks like he hasn't done one at all this year.

bolnerap

I wouldn't mind doing that, and I've considered it, but I can't figure out a mechanism to do so from the iPad that isn't a complete hassle. :\

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

You can do screen recordings directly on the iPad as of iOS 11. Or you can record it using QuickTime Player on Mac (I use this functionality when I'm live streaming from iPad/iPhone).

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

I was going to say most of my YouTube channel is recordings of sentinels from iPad directly, if you’re on iOS 11 follow the instructions below.

1. Go to settings, control center, customise controls and make sure Screen Recording is included.

2. Swipe down from the upper right of the screen (where the power indicator is)

3. Press the record button.

4. When you finish repeat steps two and three to stop recording.

5. Your new video should shortly be under photos and can be transferred to a pc or Mac like any other photo.