The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #163, "The Final Champion"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
gossamerica2
Weekly One-Shot #163, "The Final Champion"

Parse, Sky-Scraper, XPW Tempest, and Requital Captain Cosmic vs Grand Warlord Voss in Dok'thorath Capital.

Easy mint, with heroes at 19/18/14/20, with Tempest pounding Voss to a pulp with a little help from his friends.  Voss is one of my favorite punching bags when I'm in the mood to just pound something, and other than his second turn, he didn't do much.  The environment just needs a little tweaking via Aggression Modulator.  Cake walk.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

This was fun. You really get set up for maximum brutality, and the only real difficulty was having a hand of Emergency Evacs and not wanting to use them because the environment was too helpful. XD

Gus_Smedstad

Ludicrously easy mint.

Base Voss generally isn’t too hard, but this team was particularly strong against him. Voss starting out with two guards could have been a pain with many teams, but not with Reveal The Flaws available on Parse’s first turn.

Even the early Forced Deployment was no big deal. Into the Stratosphere, Into the Stratosphere, Buffer Overlow, gone. Plus of course that delays Voss 2 turns while I set up.

The environment was so super helpful you’d think you’d stacked the deck. Rebel Headquarters followed by Rebel Fighters x 3? I ended up putting two Aggression Modulators on Rebels #1 to bring them up to 4 points per attack.

As for Sky Scraper and those undesireable Emergency Evacs, I fitted her with a Micro Assembler early and discarded them to draw whatever I wanted.

Tyrsis
Playtester

Yeah definitely super easy mint. You could probably screw around a lot and be fine.

Missingno
Missingno's picture

After the mess that was last game's one-shot, I'll take an easy mint.  My forced deployment strat was simply to have Parse use Between the Lines on Sky Sky, who was not only big but also had proportionist out so she could anihilate all the minions with a single clap.  I feel I could have finished faster if I put out the cyclone faster.

I'll put things in here later.

Gus_Smedstad

It crossed my mind that the cost of just letting Forced Deployment complete, taking a round’s damage, and then wiping them wasn’t high. I just saw a way to keep it under control and improve my position, so I took it.

I had my eye on Between the Lines too, thinking I’d use it on Tempest to take out minions with Localized Hurricane. I never did end up doing that. By the time I’d finished delaying Voss with Into the Stratosphere, the rebel army was in full swing and wiping out pretty much anything he played right away. The only real drawback was that they took out the guards I’d been keeping around, so Voss flipped and starting doing his own damage.

bolnerap

I flipped Voss immediately, dropped the Micro-Assembler on Tempest, and got out Shackles/Vicious Cyclone early. It got ugly pretty fast. Never saw any spaceships and recycled the Translocator once to keep him stunlocked. Won on Parse's fifth turn, probably could have won a touch earlier since I made at least one misplay. 

Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom's picture

Yeah, that was pretty easy. Mint, 18/17/17/17.

Tyrsis
Playtester

With energy crest out the only damage I was taking from flipped voss was 2 fire to one of the constructs which could easily be healed up by either dynamic-downpour or energy crest itself. 

Griff's Dad

Near Mint because I got angry. I used the Emergency Evac and then the Forced Deployment came out and I couldn't punch through the Guards. It'd been clear how I'd screwed up so I just restarted. Next time, I used SkyScraper to clear the field. I used Reveal the Flaws on Round 1, Skyscraper plays Left Hook to get Huge, then discards and plays Proportionist. Sonic Clap clears all the minions out. Everyone else pounds on Voss. Then Round Two, Parse dug for Between the Lines. Everyone pounds on Voss. Round Three, Between the Lines played on SkyScraper clears all the minions out again. Easy after that.

Gus_Smedstad

That makes me feel better about making such a fuss about Forced Deployment. Though in my case, the guards were down to 1 HP each after round 1, and I probably could have taken them down if I’d done it the hard way.

gossamerica2

For kicks and giggles, I played through with the heroes never directly attacking Voss (though Compulsion Canister and Wounding Buffer did result in some damage to him).  I just controlled his army and healed up, and let the civilians do the dirty work (there’s probably a political allegory in that somewhere).  Finished with everybody (including constructs and civilians) at full HP.

FearLord

Mint. Everyone in the 20’s. Really helpful environment and if you can deal with the initial minions he really struggles to get going again. I stopped the Forced deployment doing anything, but I suspect it wouldn’t have slowed me down that much if I hadn’t. So long as the Heroes could chew through even one of the Guards the Rebels would make it pretty hard for him to keep the rest of his minions out for long...

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I lucked out big time with a bad first move. 

I played the wrong card, which made me unable to destroy the minions. His evac was then useless as there were no minions to retrieve.

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....