The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Weekly One-Shot #148: FPO Hype

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Timjobinroach
Timjobinroach's picture
Weekly One-Shot #148: FPO Hype

Advanced Baron Blade vs. Legacy, Guise, Wraith and Tachyon with a randomised start.

This will obviously vary from game to game, but the mint was a squeaker for me with Legacy on 5, Wraith on 6 (thanks to Guise's incap and a superfluous Suture Self play when I knew I had him on my power phase), and Guise and Tachyon out for the count.

A rocky start with no cards that could deal damage and two MDP's meant I was on the ropes early, but once I got Inspiring Presence out, plink damage meant I was able to take out Ivan. He had 15 cards in the trash when I flipped him though. 

Break a leg!

Gonen
Gonen's picture

Most times I do not achieve victory at the first play. This time I Minted it.

Tight one. Tachyon incapacitaded, last three on their one digit.

Flipped the baron on 18 cards I believe (at the end of his turn he had 15 cards, so I wasn't holding back on discarding his deck).

Suspected this challenge was to deal as much as damage as possible, before the 15 cards clock punch out. Took heavy damage doing so (I think I lost Tachyon just before or after the Baron flipped).  

The Ashen Anesthesiologist

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Oh, was this Randomized? c.c Because I had a super-easy time with my Mint, and now I feel bad.

Highlight was Tachyon smacking Blade with two Lightspeed Barrages on the same turn Guise used I Can Do That Too and Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy to copy Galvanize and Inspiring Presence. +4 damage, baby!

Griff's Dad

Easy Mint. 14/21/20/21

This was a random start and I drew the jackpot.

I started with a Heroic Interception and two Hypersonic Assaults. Legacy’s first draw was Take Down. Guise got the Barbarian/Blatant Reference combination going on Round Three. Wraith had Razor’s Ordnance in her hand and drew the targeting computer with her first draw. Basically, it’s hard to get a better starting hand.

The only pain was having to chew through two platforms before I could hit the Baron, but the Raptors helped. I got hit with one River of Lava, but otherwise the environment actually helped more than it hurt.

I’d like to say it was skill, but when you get three rounds where he can’t hurt you and a fourth where he can’t draw cards, and at the same time you’ve got your heavy damage dealers already set up, it doesn’t require much skill.

Basketkeep
Basketkeep's picture

Easy Mint.

And I thought that Omnitron fight had some crazy damage boosts. At one point I had two Obsidian Fields in play, Inspiring Presence, Galvanize, and to top it off, Guise copied both of Legacy's damage increases for a total of +6 damage. Tachyon was able to stop Baron Blade from dealing damage on his turn, handing me a win with all heroes in their teens.

Reverend Pete

Mint.

Heroes didn't start with the best hands for me, but Baron never played any of his nasty cards, and only dinosaurs came out of the environment deck--and helped the heroes way more than they hurt them. The dinos are our friends!

Every hero ended at 20HP, except Wraith, who was at 19.

Blackfang108
Playtester

TakeWalker wrote:

Oh, was this Randomized? c.c Because I had a super-easy time with my Mint, and now I feel bad.

Same. I thought it might be randomized, but I wasn't 100%.

Especially as those tend to hate me, and I blazed through.  Getting both Devous Disruptions on Villain turns 1 & 2 helped, though things got dicey when the second MDP came out while he was at 2 on his front, with too many cards in trash for comfort.  A well timed Throat Jab also helped when two Hasten Dooms and a Backlash field came out on the same turn. 

The real MVP was the turn 1 Motivational Charge, which meant Guise used Galvanize more than Legacy did.

yayeahyeah

Easy mint for me with a ridiculously nice shuffle. Galvanise, 2 Obsidian Fields and Guise the Barbarian meant I was discarding cards at the end of each turn for Guise to hit for 5. Knocked him down to 8 that way and let the volcano kill him off!

Servoret
Playtester

Also mint. Guise never drew cards that comboed well together, but still I ended up never needing the Lightspeed Barrages I had saved up. I had Infrared Eyepiece out pretty quick, so I had one bad turn where Blade hit everybody for eight damage, and then buried both other MDPs plus the worst of the Baron’s other cards. I drew Motivational Charge right away too and ended up having Legacy do a lot of the damage.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

This was randomized? O.o

Mint with everyone right around 15. Not a spectacular starting hand, not a bad one. Blade Batallion, Backlash Field and Living Shield as the first 3 plays meant I was cruising fine for the discard pile count, and some Retcons took care of the ongoings. An early Inspiring Presence and Galvanize kept the plink damage actually dangerous and the Baron blazed down around round 5. Dinosaurs hurt me more than BB did I think. I had two T-Rexs running around chomping on the heroes, but they didnt care :)

~Komori

Missingno
Missingno's picture

Mint with 17/11/18/16.  Someone tell Guise to stop swimming in lava.

The first phase was a bit rough since Wraith was actually bricking and Tachyon was often running out of cards and consider the price of victory came out, but at the final hour it was Guise of all people that pulled through with a double legacy's worth of Blatant Refrences on an Obsideon Feild.  Just for that I let him get the last hit on the final part.

I'll put things in here later.

Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom's picture

Easy Mint (though randomized). 27/23/24/25.

The only annoying part was that Blade got two Living Force Fields out as his first two plays, so I had some DR to work through, but Legacy played Inspiring Presence on his second turn and Wraith started with an Impromptu Invention and two Micro Targeting Computers (got a Razor Ordnance out with that II). I think Blade was around 10 or 12 in the trash when he flipped.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Super easy Mint. Most heroes above 20. 

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

QuirkyDM
QuirkyDM's picture

Mint here, too. Fun to have Guise Retcon himself into the original game.

Took the MDP out on Guise's first turn thanks to Legacy, Guise the Barbarian and Look What I Found. Wraith had Targeting Computer and Impromptu Invention in her opening hand, so high powered Razor Ordnance was online off the start. And Tachyon did what she could. Inspiring Presence and Obsidian Field came out on turn 2. I think Blade lasted until Guise's next turn before flipping and then one more round before Wraith finished him off. Guise's last turn was Blatant Reference and even without a barbarian boost, it was 4 damage shots every turn.

Gus_Smedstad

Fairly easy mint.

Yeah, my first thought was “this is the Retcon card,” with Guise elbowing his way into a starter setup. Complete with Wraith and Grappling Hook.

Lots and lots of damage boosts. Legacy had Inspiring Presence turn 1, and Guise played “I can do that to” and “Yeah, I’m that guy” frequently, giving everyone +3 to +4 damage most turns. Took out the Mobile Defense Platform on turn 1 with computer-targeted throwing knives, letting Wraith him him with the 2nd attack.

One combo I belatedly noticed, after it was too late, was that Total Beefcake would let Wraith make a 2nd attack on Blade with her throwing knives. Normally not a big deal, but she was doing a minimum of 6 damage per attack, and sometimes 8 or more.

Everyone did take a fair amount of damage since the front side is a serious race to take out Blade before Advanced difficulty can put 15 cards in his trash. I avoided taking out damaging cards like Powered Defense Turret because I felt I couldn’t afford any additional cards in his trash, beyond the mobile defense platforms that you must take out.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Mint.

Got the first MDP down to 1 HP in the first round, but Blade put out a second one on his second turn.  "Fortunately" a volcano also came out.  I used Heroic Interception to weather the volcano and let it wipe Blade's board.  A round of copied Inspiring Presence followed by Guise the Barbarian + Blatant Reference wore  Blade's first side down and then some.  Legacy was down to 10 HP but Smoke Bombs, Synaptic Interruption, and Lightspeed Barrage made the rest trivial.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

FearLord

Mint. Everyone in the teens. Baron Blade got a significant army out on his front side (as I was trying to minimise the discard pile) but with Multiple damage buffs, blatant reference and multiple attacks for everyone I don’t think he lasted a round flipped.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I lucked into having Heroic Interception out when Devious Disrpution was played. Everyone at 20+ HP at the end but Legacy. :)

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

bolnerap

I got hit with a 7 point Disruption right after he flipped, but I still won easily in four rounds with everyone in the teens. Could have used an Interception or Hypersonic Assault at some point, but it was easy enough overall.

mightyschoop

mint. Blade started out with a force field in addition to his MDP. 

Legacy kept everyone doing +2 damage and did very little else. Guise followed up with "Look What I  Found!" against the platform, Wraith started with an Impromptu Invention to put Razor Ordnance/Utility Belt in play. Platform gone on Wraith's turn. Environment boosted the damage output more with an Obsidian field. 

2nd round, Guise drops a Blatant Reference and Retcon's the force field. Wraith Throat Jabbed Blade, which came in handy when he dropped a Backlash field the next round. Blade was flipped during round 3, and defeated on round 5. 

Missingno
Missingno's picture

So here's something I'm wondering, what does FPO stand for?  I know the hype is about Guise but I can't seem to figure out FPO is about.

I'll put things in here later.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

FPO = For Placement Only

When Handelabra did intro text whe previewing heroes often they never had the Christopher flavor text yet so FPO was used as a placeholder.   It’s basically a reminder that something needs updated.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Gus_Smedstad

I’ve always assumed that the WI-9 scribbled on Progeny’s Form the Harbinger card has some sort of placeholder meaning. I don’t know why they haven’t fixed that yet.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

WI-9 is on the official art.   So if it’s not a placeholder but has more meaning related to the building Progeny is next to. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

FPO hype stems from people in the Sentinels Live streams getting excited when new heroes/villains just had "FPO" for their intro dialogue. :)