The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Wager Master- "Breaking the Rules" Ruling

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Wager Master- "Breaking the Rules" Ruling

It is official!

With Breaking the Rules in play you can draw a bonus card during the end of turn draw phase, then draw your regular card for your draw phase and still play cards and use powers, it does not prevent you from doing either.

So sayeth the Videogame where Wager Master was just previewed.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Huzzah!

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I'm sorry, can you expand on exactly what the situation with drawing was?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Sure.

Breaking the Rules wrote:
The phases of hero turns now go in this order:

*End of turn*

*Draw a card*

*Use a power*

*Play a card*

*Start of turn*

Usually if you reach the end of your turn draw phase and have not played a card or used a power you can draw an extra card, the question was what happens now the end is the beginning? There were 2 schools of thought.

1. You have not played a card or used a power so you can draw an extra card. Subsequently you can still both use a power and play a card because the "check" for that condition at the end of turn has already passed.
  2. You have not played a card or used a power so you can draw an extra card. If you do you cannot use a power or play a card because by drawing the extra card you have committed yourself to not using a power or playing a card.

We now know the videogame states that 1 is the correct interpretation.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

So you can draw an extra card at your draw phase because you have not yet played a card or used a power that turn.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Have you confirmed the extra draw came during the draw phase and not the end of turn? I remember it explicitly saying on gtg's website the rule was end of turn. It doesn't really matter here but there could be implications.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The PDF rulebook says you draw the extra card during the Draw phase. I know someone (was it you?) said it came in the End of Turn phase but I can't remember where you said that information came from, where was it?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

So it now seems like this villain ongoing is super helpful to the heroes.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

For the most part it is.   Some heroes like the Argent Adept it's not helpful early on since his power does nothing if he didn't have an Ongoing out already.   For Unity it makes all her bots work like Turret Bot and Turret Bot now gets to deal damage the turn it came out.  For Guise it is hurtful for any of his Ongoings and for Legacy with Take Down or Heroic Interception.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It plays merry hell with Guise, but that's to be expected.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Also the interaction they were trying to show off with Mist-Fueled Recovery.Where (I assume) "Immediately end your turn" would have moved Nightmist back to her End of Turn phase, then into to her Draw a Card phase. That's an interaction I've never thought of.   

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

The PDF rulebook says you draw the extra card during the Draw phase. I know someone (was it you?) said it came in the End of Turn phase but I can't remember where you said that information came from, where was it?

Might have been me. I got it from the gameplay tab of the Sentinels website. Since you tested it in Megacomputer I'd consider that definitive.
bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

darkroydante wrote:

Also the interaction they were trying to show off with Mist-Fueled Recovery.Where (I assume) "Immediately end your turn" would have moved Nightmist back to her End of Turn phase, then into to her Draw a Card phase. That's an interaction I've never thought of.   

It also means that if you destroy it during your turn, you get to keep any cards with "Destroy this card at the start of your turn" effects.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

You don't draw an extra card during your end of turn phase, you draw it during your draw phase.

This is important, because if you play a card or use a power in your end of turn phase in this situation, you won't draw an extra card in your draw phase.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island