The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Voss is a jerk, a dead jerk (3 man team question)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Melonball
Voss is a jerk, a dead jerk (3 man team question)

So my play group has come of the opinion that the best 3 man team is viionary, legacy, and tachyon... As a result when the time came to play against warlord voss on advanced we pulled them out of the running...

One by one randomly selected teams charged into the ruins of Atlantis... And each of them met with crushing failure (some swifter than others)

Fixer, fanatic, ra? DEad

expatriette, tempest, wraith? Closer, but still ddead 

bunker, Hakka, absolute zero? Crushing and horrible defeat as a result of terrible synergy with gene bound guards and environment...

everyone was dead, the time had come: we needed the dream team.   The battle was long, but we not only killed vos, but fed him to the kraken...this has lead me to ask the question:

What is your favorite 3 man team?  Im curious what other destructive combos are lurking

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I find it depends who you're fighting. Plus me and my partner don't use three heroes, but four - two each. We played with one each for ages but after a while decided we knew the decks and stuff well enough to be able to cope with an extra hero each.

Anyway, he plays Legacy in nearly every game. I've quite got into playing the Adept so he comes up quite a lot. I have a permanent fondness for the Wraith, while he likes Tempest. He also plays Bunker fairly often, and Haka. His favourite character is Fanatic but he only seems to play her against Apostate. Some games we just get our arses kicked while others we totally flatten the opposition - it's not just a case of which combo you take of heroes, villain, and environment, but which cards come up. We had our arses handed to us on a plate by the Matriarch a couple of weeks ago, when fighting against her in Atlantis. We were doing okay until two Leaking Rooms on the trot meant we couldn't play any cards for two rounds (I was the Adept but Sarabande of Destruction hadn't come up yet :P), and then I think she played a Horrid Cacophony or two which took out all my good songs and whatever else was left on the table (except equipment, obviously, but Huginn dealt with some of that later).

In another fight (same villain, same environment - we roll for both of those but dammit we turned up the same combo again), we had two Mystical Defences come out within a couple of turns of each other (followed eventually by all three Krakens), before we'd properly got our defences organised, which meant that the birds were constantly being taken out and we were getting smashed by the psychic and toxic damage (yes, both Carrion Fields were out as well :P) as a result. That game didn't last amzingly long.

Then, this weekend, we had the same combo again! Matriarch in Atlantis. And I think the team we picked (we roll for villain and environment but choose heroes after that) was the same as we'd had for one of the fights last week - me playing the Adept and Haka and my partner playing Legacy and Bunker. I managed to eventually get the Mask, both cohorts, and lots of Fowl under Savage Mana and unleashed it to finish the fight right after Bunker let loose with his Omni-Cannon. So that was cool :).

In another fight, also this weekend, we had Citizen Dawn in erm...somewhere. Megalopolis, possibly. Anyway, again Haka finished it off with a smash from Savage Mana. That in itself would have done something like 17 damage (he was buffed by Legacy and the Adept as well), but he's also poured his entire hand (around 19 cards) into Haka of Battle during his Play phase, so the total damage for that one hit was something like 39 - we didn't bother to work it out exactly - Dawn only had about 2hp left. But I wanted to erm, be sure she was dead, or something ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Melonball wrote:

So my play group has come of the opinion that the best 3 man team is viionary, legacy, and tachyon...

I'm surprised to not see Tempest in the group.

You've got two heroes that are primarily support (Visionary and Legacy) and one that is a slow build (Tachyon). I'm surprised that a group without an immediate heavy hitter has proven to be the best.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

Nielzabub, RapScallion, and I played Bunker, Fanatic, and Tempest in our first game respectively.  I dunno about them, but that's one of my favorite teams.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

When I think about it, I think most if not all the games I've lost to Voss involve opening with the Genebound Guards.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Melonball

Tempest is great, but the reason I dig the visionary/tachyon/legacy combo is synergy.

visionary uses her power to feed tachyon cards and fuel her trash pile, legacy pumps damage so tachyons burst damage wrecks people, and all 3 of the decks deny damage and control the environment.

as for voss, 2 gene bound guards at jump is a horror show.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Melonball wrote:

Tempest is great, but the reason I dig the visionary/tachyon/legacy combo is synergy. visionary uses her power to feed tachyon cards and fuel her trash pile, legacy pumps damage so tachyons burst damage wrecks people, and all 3 of the decks deny damage and control the environment. as for voss, 2 gene bound guards at jump is a horror show.

Two damange reduction is nasty, for sure, but when you've got heroes that can fairly regularly beat it, particularly when boosted by Legacy, it's not as big of a deal. That's why the visionary/tachyon/legacy team looks so strange to me. I'm not saying it's not great! Just that I'm used to thinking in terms of being able to dish out regular amounts of at least medium-sized damage (3-5).

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Melonball

Keep in mind that on advanced if two gene bound are in play if you aren't swinging for 4 you aren't doing anything (which supports your damage concerns)...I agree that the trio is atypical, and there may very well be better groups, but it's alarming how well they play nice