The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Volatile Creations

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
ErekLich
Volatile Creations

So we were theorycrafting and ran into some strange language.  Volatile Creations is clearly meant for your minions, but it also references Boosts and Hinders being destroyed.  So our question is this:  Does a Boost or Hinder get "destroyed" when it's used?  Or only when someone counter-Mods or Overcomes it?

catDreaming

A Bonus or Penalty is not destroyed when used, unless the narrative or a specific mechanic says that it should be.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I don't even think "counter-mods" or Overcomes destroy boosts and hinders. But there are specific abilities that use the language "destroy a Boost/Hinder", and I figure that's what'll set off Volatile Creations.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Quick terminology clarification for folks that can make a significant impact when reading how things work: Boost/Hinder are actions that are taken, while Bonus/Penalty are types of Mods, which are generated by Boost and Hinder actions. :-) 

As to what actually Destroys a Mod, I think catDreaming and TakeWalker nailed it: Something only destroys a Mod if it says it destroys a Mod. ;-) Using a Mod or using an Overcome to remove a Mod just remove the Mod. 

This might be a good question to send in to the Letters Page podcast to verify, but I'm pretty sure this is as intended. 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

KJ_Max

What's the difference between "removing a Mod" and "destroying a Mod"?

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My guess: What it triggers. :-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

KJ_Max

Lovely.

braincraft

I feel like it's not a big deal to just let Volatile Creations activate when the mod is expended; you're bottlenecked by number of reactions in any case.

catDreaming

You got it in one, though. Removing a mod means that whatever narrative object the mod represented is, well, removed from what it was effecting. It still exists, it's just not doing anything.

Destroying a mod means that whatever narrative object the mod represented is destroyed. That mod is gone.

There is notable difference in the game narrative between the two things. Remember: This is a game focused on the narrative, not on hard mechanics defining every little thing. 

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe