The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Vengeful Five Baron Damage order

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
cnranger
Vengeful Five Baron Damage order

Played a game with my son against the Vengeful Five, the details are not important until the very end. The only two surviving combatants are Tempest and Baron Blade. After the environment turn they both are reduced to one health. Baron Blade plays a nemesis card, which is his only card out now, then his end of turn triggers, from memory:

"Baron Blade deals the hero target with the lowest health and himself 2 (melee?) damage"

My son wondered since it lists the hero target first does it have to hit Tempest before Baron Blade?

I told him becasue the targets are hit at the same time, we get to chose who gets hit first and so Baron Blade takes the damage, meaning we win, though just barely.

I think I'm right since I know a "hit all targets" power lets us choose what order the targets get hit in. This seems similar but the words were just different enough to make me wonder.

So did we win or lose?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I'd say lose. The same general wording is used on the Scholar variant (himself then anotehr target) and the videogame has him hit himself first.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

For all intents and purposes, though, I'd say that was a tie :)

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

NinjaMonkey

I'd argue that since they used the word "and" instead of "then" it would occur at the same time. Meaning, you get to choose who gets damaged first. I'm not familiar with the text on the Scholar variant so I can't speak to the video game but as a rule when it comes to software, especially newly released content, bugs do crop up.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It's intended that Scholar deals the damage to himself first.   We went through this in the Mega Computer Alpha testing.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

They both use the same wording.

For clarity here they are.

Quote:
At the end of Baron Blade's villain turn, Baron Blade deals the hero target with the lowest HP and himself 2 melee damage.

Quote:
The Scholar deals himself and 1 target X infernal damage, where X = the number of cards you've discarded since the end of your last turn +1

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

You do actions in the order listed on the card, including targetting.

cnranger

Blast! Score another rules battle for the six year old. Thanks for the clarification guys.