The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Value of X: Dynamic or static during resolution?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester
Value of X: Dynamic or static during resolution?

I really, really feel I should know this, but here goes. If a card refers to a value of X, where X = (insert explanation here), can X ever change in the middle of resolution of damage, or is it a set number until all damage is dealt?

For example (the scenario which actually prompted this quesiton), The Dreamer's Night Terrors was played. There were two explosives wagons in play. Yeah, ouch. So we opted to hit the barrels first, which would eliminate the +1 damage modifiers, as well as hit the projections. Scholar had three flesh to irons at the ready, so it was actually less damage this way in the long run. Since the wagons took out all of the projections for us, would that mean X would be reduced to (0 projections +1 = 1)? Or does it stay the number it was at before the projections were destroyed?

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I can't find the ruling off hand but there is no "snap shotting" of numbers, they are always Dynamic.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

X does change, I've seen at least two variations in the video game.

If you're using Lightspeed Barrage or Sonic Vortex and, in the process, destroy Synaptic Interruption, it the resulting damage/number of attacks includes it.

And in one game, again with Tachyon, Baron Blade pulled out Devious Disruption -- he had 20 HP left on his flipped side and there were 17 ongoings/equipments out, so the game initially said it would hit Tachyon for 20 damage. I opt to redirect with Synaptic Interruption -- which meant that there were only 16 ongoing/equipment cards, leaving Blade with 1 HP. The attack proceeded to kill Legacy with a 19-HP hit, then hit the next person for only 13 or 14, because in incapacitating Legacy, his Ongoings left play.

Killswitch
Killswitch's picture
Playtester

Matchstickman wrote:

I can't find the ruling off hand but there is no "snap shotting" of numbers, they are always Dynamic.

Yes, I remember this line of thinking with Fixer. Good point.

Steam Username: General Specific

You gotta know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to hold fast
And when to turn loose!

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

What about explosive bubbles ? Let's say you are in ROD and Imbued frailty is out,the villain and rightmost are the two highest,it hits the villain but nightmist redirects to the bubbles Now the bubbles have 2 up and the highest 2 have been hit does it stop dealing damage

Sapienta potentia est

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Yes, it would stop dealing damage.

Also, if Imbued Fraility wasn't out thus only taking 2 damage, it would bring up a promp for selecting who will take the last set of damage fromusing the 3 targets that haven't been hit yet.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

On the other hand, there is some evidence to support snap-shotting as being a thing that happens. "Hit the 3 targets with the highest HP," for instance. As I recall, you don't recalculate the highest HP if it's all grouped in as one effect like that. That could cause the same target to get hit twice, which should not happen.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Objulen

It's largely dynamic. The energy bubbles example is a good one -- I've used damage redirection and reactive damage several times to cut short energy bubbles' attacks against the team.