The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

That sounds more like you used Threatenting Stomp in Akash'Bhuta.  Otherwise some other affect redirected that damage to Naturalist or that's a bug for Indomitable Force 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

FrivYeti
FrivYeti's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
That sounds more like you used Threatenting Stomp in Akash'Bhuta.  Otherwise some other affect redirected that damage to Naturalist or that's a bug for Indomitable Force 

Oh, hrm. I did play a Threatening Stomp that turn. I thought that I'd hit a Rockslide with it, but maybe I misclicked and punched Akash without noticing.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

This works kind of exactly as expected, but...ever aim an Inferno Missile Pod at Termi-nation Absolute Zero?

“Mad Dog”

Trajector wrote:
This works kind of exactly as expected, but...ever aim an Inferno Missile Pod at Termi-nation Absolute Zero?

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. But here's once better: do this, but have Visionary play "Twist the Ether" on Benchmark, so if he has multiple cards under "Inferno Missile Pod", he can hit AZ first with fire damage, which AZ then amplifies and sends back out, and then Benchmark hits AZ again, this time with cold damage to heal him back up. Continue alternating at will.

I just tried this and with half a dozen cards under "Inferno Missile Pod", and Benchmark and AZ were able to do about 50 points of damage to Akash'Bhuta in a completely repeatable manner. By the time the heroes got set up (surprisingly fast all things considered), Akash'Bhuta only lasted one round under this onslaught.

Thanks for the suggestion of interesting interactions.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, Twist the Ether always amplifies everything to do with Absolute Zero. It's not necessary, though - as you said, you can choose the effect of each "missile" individually, so if Abs is fully set up you can still alternate the effect of his cold damage between attacks and self-heals. Especially Termi-Nation Absolute Zero: his modifiers make for plenty of self-healing even without turning the original missile into cold damage.

I had another fun one yesterday. If Guide high-fives Stuntman, "Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy" takes on the on-destruction effects of EVERY card Stuntman has in play. If you destroy "Uh, Yeah" when Stuntman has multiple Ongoing cards in play, they you get to trigger each effect in the order you choose. Pro tip: make sure you have multiple powers at your disposal...

“Mad Dog”

Trajector wrote:
I had another fun one yesterday. If Guide high-fives Stuntman, "Uh, Yeah, I'm That Guy" takes on the on-destruction effects of EVERY card Stuntman has in play. If you destroy "Uh, Yeah" when Stuntman has multiple Ongoing cards in play, they you get to trigger each effect in the order you choose. Pro tip: make sure you have multiple powers at your disposal...

Wow - hadn't thought of that one either. Will have to give it a try.

You know, I've probably played hundreds (thousands???) of games of SotMV (mostly in the app but a lot with physical cards), and I think I know how to use most/all of the decks, but I *still* get (pleasantly) surprised by these kinds of interactions between cards in different decks. What a great game.

Thanks again Trajector for the insight.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

There are similar effects between Guise and Mainstay too.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

adismaltheft
adismaltheft's picture

My new favorite combo is Twist the Ether on Blood Mage Lifeline in the Court of Blood with Unhallowed Halls out. All the enemies take boosted Infernal damage and you can make Lifeline hit himself for 0 radiant damage with his power.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Found a fun one, not going to dig through all 500+ posts to find if its been posted before.

Just played a random game with Action hero Stuntman, Legacy, and 2 others against regular Spite. Spite got out his PL626 (Deal damage and discard every time a hero uses a power) after a few rounds, and I realized there was a fun interaction that was set up. Stuntman played Moving Target and Legacy played Heroic Interception. Once Spite tried to deal his many instances of AoE damage, Stuntman got a power use. Using his base power to increase damage and play a card, he played his pistol. Spite promptly tried to hit him again, which gave a new power use. Using the pistol dealt damage and allowed him to play the flame thrower. Spite repeats, and Stuntman flambes him. After that, it was Stuntman's turn and I basically repeated the same sequence. Between those two turns and Legacy's Galvanize, Stuntman did ~40 damage in those two turns. Legacy pulled a second Heroic Interception, and Spite went splat before flipping :D

~A-Kat

Hankroyd

Prime Warden Haka can use his Haka cards on villain targets with his power ...

It was very useful against the Dreamer: You can heal her when she is in bad shape or shield her when a hero is about to use an AoE damage card.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

That was how I beat Ultimate Dreamer for the first time.  And also the only time I ever used Haka of Shielding to good effect.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hankroyd wrote:
Prime Warden Haka can use his Haka cards on villain targets with his power ...
It was very useful against the Dreamer: You can heal her when she is in bad shape or shield her when a hero is about to use an AoE damage card.

Healing Dreamer is the bomb. Not sure I've ever shielded her!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That's amazing. :O

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

I knew about using Rhapsody of Vigor to heal the Dreamer, but that Haka trick is pretty sweet.

~A-Kat

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Really funny one happened to me today:

"Ensnaring Brambles prevented Akash'Flora from dealing damage."

walla151

I stumbled upon this is a random game. Guise plus Harpy.  Get out several of Harpy's ongoings and then Uh Yeah I'm That Guy becomes really potent. I lucked into Barbarian and Harpy Hex with this setup and suddenly every token flip procs bonus damage from Harpy and boosted bonus damage from Guise. I finished off Spite with a Mystical Outburst, flipping 4 tokens and watching the fireworks. 

Blackfang108
Playtester

starkenburg_alexander wrote:
I knew about using Rhapsody of Vigor to heal the Dreamer, but that Haka trick is pretty sweet.
~A-Kat

Haka of Shielding can also help with Challenge mode Dreamer.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Found a fun combo today for Guise in OblivAeon Mode. Have Guise copy the text of A brother's sacrifice and you can remove Uh, yeah I'm That Guy instead to prevent the damage and give the heroes immunity. This leaves the original in play to be used later.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I had a ridiculous combo with Mister Fixer in the Time Cataclysm.

We all know how Mister Fixer loves Fixed Points, but specifically what I got out of my first Fixed Point was Alternating Tiger Claw + Riveting Crane. Also in play was the Atlantean Throne Room, so...I left that in play the whole time. First with Overdrives and later a Jack Handle, Mister Fixer eliminates the cover for the villains while the heroes get -1 damage and +1 card draw!

After I incapacitated Nuit and the Fixed Point reshuffled into the deck, I later ungraded to a Jack Handle + Pipe Wrench >:)

origamiswami

Recently ran into an unusual occurence involving Termi-Nation Unity and Omni-Unity.  I used Unity's base power when she had no golems out, but I forgot that Stuntman had Omni-Unity and Lance-Flammes in play, so Unity destroyed Lance-Flammes and shuffled it into her deck.  I eventually drew it into Unity's hand, but when I played it it went into Stuntman's play area, so unfortunately Unity didn't get to use a flamethrower. 

Qapla!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

How cool. :O What happened with the card vis-a-vis playing it tracks with a lot of the shenanigans Guise can pull, too.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

On a related note: If Termination Unity does the same thing with another player's reward card she will get to use that reward if she plays it (T-Rex bot is the easiest to do this with but all equipment and ongoing rewards are in theory stealable, thanks to Omni-Unity and Catpit's Playground).

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Quote:
I stumbled upon this is a random game. Guise plus Harpy.  Get out several of Harpy's ongoings and then Uh Yeah I'm That Guy becomes really potent. I lucked into Barbarian and Harpy Hex with this setup and suddenly every token flip procs bonus damage from Harpy and boosted bonus damage from Guise. I finished off Spite with a Mystical Outburst, flipping 4 tokens and watching the fireworks.

Sweet!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Uh, Yeah is super fun with any characters that are really Ongoing-heavy. Harpy does have a great ability to get a bunch of those in play!

Pages