The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I never thought of using an Illusionary Demon's ability for that with EoD. I should try that out...

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Yeah, I've done the End of Days Dreamer panic as well.  In my case, I was fortunate enough to have an Illusionary Demon out, so I could use Powerhound's trick.

On the other hand, End of Days is just brilliant for flipping the Dreamer in the first place.  No muss, no fuss. 

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Another, simpler one for Mr. Fixer I was playing around with earlier -- Compulsion Cannister + Driving Mantis. So long as he has no buffs out, he can redirect the first shot.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Even better than that - never mind Driving Mantis, use a Jack Handle instead >:).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

The Burning Stickman

Yeah, but you can fish for styles easier than you can fish for tools :P

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

True, but no mention was made of the ease of obtaining the card, just having it out in play for lots of whacking of all the bad people :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Wait, what's the deal with Guise and Cold Damage?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think it was referring to a game which included Ab'Zero as well, maybe when Guise is copying all his ongoings?

I am the Wordweaver...

The Burning Stickman

So I'm not sure if this is a combination because it only involves one deck, but the game made me realize that Sentinels Tactics triggers immediately after the first instance of damage, with other checks and results happening afterward.

For instance, I killed Ambuscade with Fling into Darkness from 10 HP. Mainstay did the first hit (4 with a buff from his chains), then ST triggered so the Idealist could smack him for another 2, putting him under the 4 HP threshold.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It's not fully immediate but it's pretty close.  For example, if you had taken out a Sonic Mine for instance it's destruction damage would trigger before Sentinel Tactics does.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Wouldn't those two be considered "simultaneous" and thus down to player choice? A Sentinel dealt damage and the mine was destroyed at the same time, so couldn't they choose whether to trigger the power use or the explodey stuff first?

I am the Wordweaver...

Powerhound_2000

Sonic Mine goes off first per damage ordering and it was validated to work that way in the video game testing when Handelabra checked with Christopher.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

WarrenAC

I always thought Omnitron-X/U was a bit underpowered,  but I'm starting to come around.  Just noticed in this last game that Omnitron U's Volatile wiring triggers whenever his cards are destroyed (and not equipment or components), that you can double dip this with villains like Chokepoint,  since she often destroys his cards and takes them, triggering this, but later will also destroy them and return them (on her flip), triggering it again since even though the cards have no text they are still counted as his cards.  Omnitron can also double dip himself using the card-play off the Volatile Wiring if he blew things up there, since if he used Volatile Wiring as well the last turn there's a brief window those effects overlap!  It was a pathetic self-sabotage for one component,  but with the double Volatile Wiring effect I managed to punch through the last couple HP on Chokepoint in the last game a squeeze out a win.

Also, I never pulled a Slip Through Time,  but it looks like it would combo even better with that!  And the damage would be better without reduction getting in the way.

It's a bit similar to having multiple of Unity's Volatile parts out and then using Termi-Nation Unity's reconfigure to blow up a bot yourself and double trigger the response.

--Warren

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Correct! Getting that "extra" fire damage off Slip Through Time is doubly important, because often times you won't want to use one of his other powers without it. Volatile Wiring is just that good. :)

The Burning Stickman

Yeah, I've been unlucky enough that nearly every turn that I don't  use Volatile Wiring, that's when some massive equipment/ongoing wipe comes out.

ordalca

I got one when playing around with Parse and Guise.

Parse has out 3 Critical Multipliers.  

Guise plays Selling out.  In Env, discards ongoing, plays Blatent Reference, UYITG on Parse, and Guise the Barbarian.

Every hero turn, Guise can discard for BR, which activates CMx3, which lets him boost attack by 3, and GtB increases by 2.

Guise deals 6 damage per hero turn by discarding 1 card each turn.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Niiice :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

robb8888

I'm not sure if this is a "combination" or "unexpected," but it's a neat wrinkle I discovered during the most recent one-shot (the one with Challenge Gloomweaver) that makes Captain Cosmic more user-friendly.  It's especially good with PW CC, who doesn't get the potential extra card play of regular CC:

If you have Augmented Ally and Unflagging Animation out, you can discard a construct to get a power usage, then immediately pull that construct out of the trash and put it in play via Unflagging Animation, essentially giving you two power usages and two card plays every round.  I believe (anyone want to confirm/deny?) that to make this work correctly, you need to have first played Augmented Ally, then Unflagging Animation, so that the discard (powered by Augmented Ally) occurs before the trash pull (powerd by Unflagging Animation). 

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Confirmed

jesse_garcia_87
jesse_garcia_87's picture

just had a crazy shenanigan happen

fighting GWV with Parse in the party in the Time Cataclysm.

Fixed point just cme into play from the Environment, and Parse had Buffer Overflow out. GWV tried calling in his Flagship, and i had the Buffer get rid of it. 

thanks to fixed point, however, Buffer Overflow didn't get destroyed on getting rid of the Flagship, and the flagship was still discarded.

in essence, FREE CARD-BLOCKING!

In the effort of doing stupid things, I'm a FLIPPIN' Genius!
-Me.

robb8888

Talk about unexpected combinations -- the entire team (Sentinels, SS Tachyon, Grandpa Legacy, PW Fanatic, AA) for the latest one-shot (#66) is a combination machine!

Between Grandpa Legacy, Fanatic, and AA (assuming he gets the right instruments/songs in play), you can have three instances of multiple power usages every turn....and once the Sentinels get Human Shield in play, every time you give them a power usage, it's essentially a -1 DR for every hero target.  

Add onto that the fact that the Sentinels' deck is *80%* one-shots (32 cards out of 40), and that makes them a ripe target for SS Tachyon's base power -- they can quickly get all out all of their Signature cards and Ongoings.

So, once you add Sentinels Tactics to the mix -- allowing the Sentinels to use a power the first time they do damage every turn, then here's an example of a totally overpowered hero turn:

Grandpa Legacy

Play: (whatever card he wants)

Power:  Gung-Ho -- allowing another hero to heal 1 HP and use a power; so use it on...

...(ex:)  PW Fanatic, who gladly takes the +1 HP, then uses *her* base power to get a free card play and let another hero use a power...

...(ex:)  AA, if he has out instruments/songs that allow other heros to use a power, plus whatever additional goodies his instruments songs can do, so allow another hero to use a power, like...

...(ex:)  SS Tachyon, who can use *her* base power to allow the Sentinels to (probably) play the bottom two cards of their deck.  Since these are usually one-shots, and most of them do damage of some kind, then Sentinel Tactics will allow Mainstay to use his -1 DR power.

...Lather/rinse/repeat once you get to Fanatic and AA's turns.  By the end of the heroes' turns, what you've likely accumulated is:

--3 extra card plays from Fanatic

--3 HP of healing (from Grandpa Legacy) distributed among Fanatic, AA, Tach, and/or the Sentinels.

--*6* extra card plays from the Sentinels (assuming every Experiment resulted in two card plays)

--whatever extras AA's instruments/songs are set up for (card draws, damage buff/reduction, etc.)

--the ability to redirect *any* damage from a hero target to a -3DR Mainstay (-4DR if he has his Chains out)...which means that PW Fanatic *wont* hurt herself when she uses her base power.  But it's optional, so AA can still (ex:) take the damage from Polyphonic Flare, Tachyon can still take the damage from Pushing the Limits, etc., and if you get a villain that deals out irreducible AOE damage, you can opt not to get Mainstay killed.  This may be the best tanking setup in the game; it costs 2 discards a round, but the Sentinels have fantastic card draw, so it's not a hardship. 

robb8888

Discovered another one from the most recent one-shot (#67).  A variation on the Visionary-Throat Jab-Wrest The Mind-ElectroPulse Explosive:

When playing Visionary against Ambuscade, play Wrest the Mind on his Sonic Mine.  When the Mine is destroyed, use Wrest the Mind to have Visionary get hit with the first instance of damage.  Now Visionary can't do damage to herself, and can redirect to another target every other instance of damage that Sonic Mine would do.  When playing with heroes that have lots of targets in play (Unity and CC come to mind), that can be 10+ instances of 2 damage that also prevent their target from doing any damage until the next villain turn.  You can neuter a bunch of environment targets, pile multiple redirected damage to the same target to destroy it, direct one instance at a hero to prevent him/her from damaging themselves...the opportunities for hijinks abound.

bolnerap

Dovetailing with Dreamer / End of Days / Illusory Demon, I had great fun with TN Unity, Fanatic, The Adamant Sentinels, and Chrono Ranger against Iron Legacy. All of IL's ongoings were destructible, so I was able to set up with CR and Unity while Fanatic fished for End of Days. When she got it, I put out Bee Bot first. Destroy all of IL's cards and the environment, then Bee Bot, which destroys End of Days, conveniently leaving fun stuff like By Any Means out. We roasted IL the round after that, in the rare case of the heroes having setup while IL had none.

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

I beat Baron Blade on Ultimate without deck manipulation thanks to "Backlash Field"

Backlash Field + Ultimate Target + Compounded Bow. 

Every time I hit Baron Blade he hits back with Backlash Field then I ht him with Compounded Bow. Having Legacy with Galvanize helped with damage boost of course. But I never thought having NO ongoing destruction would be so beneficial!

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

The Burning Stickman

Backlash Field can be fun when he has both out and you have some damage redirection.

Enjoy zapping yourself, Ivan.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I don't know how Tachyon ran so fast she fooled lightning into hitting the wrong person, but she did.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Probably not as much of a surprise, but take five really damage-heavy heroes and see how easy it is to damage-race most villains.

I used a combination of Young Legacy, Hunted Naturalist, Ra, Knyfe, and Chrono-Ranger to beat the main four villains on Ultimate difficulty in a span of an hour. (Only substitution was for G.I. Bunker on Voss so I could ignore his minions altogether)

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I have discovered the greatest ninja trap known to mankind: Prime Wardens Captain Cosmic.

It's usually not hard for him to have one Construct out during any given round. And especially in the Temple of Zhu Long, it's not hard for him to lose them, either. So when those pesky assassins fall to your AOE or whatever, just place them on top of CC's deck and have him shuffle the next destroyed Construct in over it. And presto, no more ninja! A pretty low chance to ever see the darn thing again, too, if the game doesn't go on too long.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I think this is probably already known, but I just (re)discovered it in the video game:

I often think of Punish the Weak as useful but very situational. However, I just realized that it makes Rampages even more awesome! Not only do you probably get to use the buff from Punish the Weak to clear out minions very effectively, but you will always reduce Rampage damage to ALL hero targets by one.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Here's one that I pulled off in this week's Weekly Oneshot - Guise high fives the Sentinels while Sentinel Tactics is in play (but Hippocratic Oath is not).  Then he plays Blatant Reference.  Does Guise like getting to use his power every turn?  Yes he does!

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

Something I only realized in my stream last night: Mr. Fixer with Dual Crowbars and Bloody Knuckles can hit himself super hard to hit another target super harder. With no other boosts, it's a 6 hit to himself and a 9 hit to a second target.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The other day I randomized Progeny and Time Cataclysm and discovered probably the only time you're ever happy to see Oppressive Smog.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Not the only time.  It makes games against Spite easier as well.

Huh.  Does Oppressive Smog mean that effects that heal targets "Back up to full health" only heal them up to their maximum health minus 2?

bolnerap

I also appreciate seeing Oppressive Smog vs Matriarch's flip side.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think "restoring" is different from "healing", so it wouldn't affect that, no, any more than it would affect Fanatic's Aegis restoring her to 10hp or whichever Title it is that restores someone to 6hp.

I am the Wordweaver...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The title is a heal so would be affected, Aegis is a restore so wouldn't. Also, those cards in The Sentinels deck are a restore.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

However Haka of Restoration is paradoxically a heal!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

The Burning Stickman

LewdDolphin21 wrote:

Something I only realized in my stream last night: Mr. Fixer with Dual Crowbars and Bloody Knuckles can hit himself super hard to hit another target super harder. With no other boosts, it's a 6 hit to himself and a 9 hit to a second target.

Yeah, that's also basically the logic behind TN AZ. He gets to pull that same stunt every round if he wants.
Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Found a pretty cool trick with the Adamant Sentinels:

Play Telekenetic Wallop with Sentinels Tactics and Writhe's signiture in play. Hit the highest HP villain target first, then use Haymaker on that target. Target your second hit a Writhe and it will redirect to the highest HP villain but won't be reduced....

Net result is 8 damage on the main villain, 3 damage on a second target. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Nice! And fairly easy to pull off!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Dandolo wrote:

Found a pretty cool trick with the Adamant Sentinels: Play Telekenetic Wallop with Sentinels Tactics and Writhe's signiture in play. Hit the highest HP villain target first, then use Haymaker on that target. Target your second hit a Writhe and it will redirect to the highest HP villain but won't be reduced.... Net result is 8 damage on the main villain, 3 damage on a second target. 

I tried that one, but it didn't work for me...

Powerhound_2000

It should I've done similar in the video game.  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'll try it again once I'm home.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

On healing:

There are 3 terms that reference healing effects:

Regain:  the most common, you gain HP, but never above your maximum.

Restore:  You set your HP to a specific amount.

Recovery:  This refers to regaining HP, not resforing HP.

Restoring HP is not regaining or recovering, so it isn't affecteg by Smog, or team Operative's incap, or Unhallowed Halls.

Powerhound_2000

Restore also isn't impacted by Idolator in the Operative's deck. 

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Fun one: high- five the Sentinels, with Hippocratic Oath, and steal a Jack Handle. Also play Barbarian and Reference. Every hero turn, discard a card for MASSIVE HEALING

(add in the Scholar for extra fun!)

-- Trajector

robb8888

McBehrer wrote:

Fun one: high- five the Sentinels, with Hippocratic Oath, and steal a Jack Handle. Also play Barbarian and Reference. Every hero turn, discard a card for MASSIVE HEALING

(add in the Scholar for extra fun!)

Along those lines, two Sentinels shenanigans that I discovered during the "Best Cards Ever! (Weekly One-Shot #70)":

(1) Neat interplay between The Sentinels and The Scholar when he plays Proverbs and Axioms:  Unlike (ex:) Don't Dismiss Anything, which only allows The Sentinels (collectively) to play the top card of their deck/bring a card out of the trash, under Proverbs and Axioms every Sentinel gets the choice of healing 2 or doing themselves three damage and using a power, which means a Proverbs and Axioms play could result in *four* Sentinels power usages.  

(2) I imagine other people have discovered this, but when you have a lot of non-hero targets (ex: Voss, Dawn, Chairman, any Vengeance game, Final Wasteland, etc.), Hippocratic Oath plus Blackout becomes a recipe for massive healing:  With Hippocratic Oath in play, play Blackout, and have Writhe hit Dr. Medico.  Yes, Dr. Medico will take the initial damage from Writhe, but then if there are (ex:) 10 villain targets out there, that's 10 instances of 2HP healing that Medico gets to spread to any hero he wants.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

robb8888 wrote:

(1) Neat interplay between The Sentinels and The Scholar when he plays Proverbs and Axioms:  Unlike (ex:) Don't Dismiss Anything, which only allows The Sentinels (collectively) to play the top card of their deck/bring a card out of the trash, under Proverbs and Axioms every Sentinel gets the choice of healing 2 or doing themselves three damage and using a power, which means a Proverbs and Axioms play could result in *four* Sentinels power usages. 

Is that correct? I thought Proverbs and Axioms was per Hero, and the Sentinels are one hero... 

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Powerhound_2000

Yes, that got ruled on during testing it should work that way. 

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Which way is "that way"?

Pages