The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Unexpected combinations

575 posts / 0 new
Last post
hstein3
hstein3's picture
Unexpected combinations

I recently discovered a fun card interaction: Caspit's Playground (Freedom Tower) and Micro-Assembler (Skyscraper). It lets you search your deck for any ongoing (or equipment) card, super useful for some characters.

What are some unexpected interactions you've found in the game?

http://mrhalbert.blogspot.com, Wherein I talk about gaming and, um, stuff.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

This is an interaction I found last week: If damage dealt by incidental contract is redirected the new target may be dealt the 1 additional energy damage rather than the original target. So in a 5 hero game Wrong Time and Place can turn Incidental Contact into 12 separate attacks against the villain. Add Twist the Either and KNYFE's damage boosts and this can become 48 damage to the villain at the cost of only 5 unlucky tokens. In the process of discovering this I dropped Ambuscade from full HP to incapped in a single turn.

Another interaction I discovered a while ago but enjoy putting to use is that Hippocractic Oath can heal for 1 extra point if you target The Idealist (or Mainstay/Writhe if thier signatures aren't out) with Medico's initial attack due to Sentinels Nemesis Bonus.

Lastly, team up Santa Guise and Freedom 6 Tempest. Tempest can target his presents with his base power (though Guise may not appreciate you returning his gifts).

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Hippocratic Oath also works wonders if Medico gets Infected - free healing for someone at the start of your turn? Yes please! :D

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

hstein3
hstein3's picture

Ameena wrote:

Hippocratic Oath also works wonders if Medico gets Infected - free healing for someone at the start of your turn? Yes please! :D

Speaking of Infection, that was something I loved about Fixer's Jack Handle: It negates any self damage.

NinjaMonkey

hstein3 wrote:

I recently discovered a fun card interaction: Caspit's Playground (Freedom Tower) and Micro-Assembler (Skyscraper). It lets you search your deck for any ongoing (or equipment) card, super useful for some characters.

Wait. What?! That is amazing. I had not idea you could do that.

robb8888

Speaking of the Jack Handle, this is from the fireside chats.  I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting -- give Fixer a second Jack Handle attack for free:  

• Suppose Mr. Fixer would deal 1 damage to a target. Due to Jack Handle, Mr. Fixer deals the 1 damage to all non-hero targets, then Friendly Fire lets him deal 2 to Setback, which becomes 2 to all non-hero targets, and then stops. Setback does not get to add 2 tokens to his Unlucky Pool, as he was not damaged this way.
Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

robb8888 wrote:

Speaking of the Jack Handle, this is from the fireside chats.  I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting -- give Fixer a second Jack Handle attack for free:  Suppose Mr. Fixer would deal 1 damage to a target. Due to Jack Handle, Mr. Fixer deals the 1 damage to all non-hero targets, then Friendly Fire lets him deal 2 to Setback, which becomes 2 to all non-hero targets, and then stops. Setback does not get to add 2 tokens to his Unlucky Pool, as he was not damaged this way.

It works quite well.  Add Charge or Overdrive or Plague Rat's infection for more fun.  Also see Compulsion Cannister and Catch A Ride.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

robb8888 wrote:

Speaking of the Jack Handle, this is from the fireside chats.  I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds interesting -- give Fixer a second Jack Handle attack for free:  Suppose Mr. Fixer would deal 1 damage to a target. Due to Jack Handle, Mr. Fixer deals the 1 damage to all non-hero targets, then Friendly Fire lets him deal 2 to Setback, which becomes 2 to all non-hero targets, and then stops. Setback does not get to add 2 tokens to his Unlucky Pool, as he was not damaged this way.

Even more fun?

Mr. Fixer + Dual Crowbars + Friendly Fire. Back when we were figuring out the best strategy to unlock DW Setback, we realized that combo can take out The Operative in one turn.

Throw in Fixed Point, and you've basically won, so long as you can win via reducing HP to 0.

Kinda sucks for Setback, but it's a little fitting that his most broken combo requires him having the everloving hell beaten out of him.

robb8888

mwc146 wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

Even more fun?Mr. Fixer + Dual Crowbars + Friendly Fire. Back when we were figuring out the best strategy to unlock DW Setback, we realized that combo can take out The Operative in one turn.

I haven't had my caffeine dose today, so I'm having trouble envisioning it.  Is it something like this?

1.  Fixer hits Operative with Dual Crowbars -- first strike of the turn (1), hit 1 of 2 (I'll call this Hit 1-1 to keep track)

2.  Friendly Fire activates, allowing Fixer to hit Setback for 2 HP (Hit 2-1) then Dual Crowbars kicks in, allowing Fixer to do a second augmented hit for 2 +1 (Dual Crowbars) + (any other buffs) to Operative (Hit 2-2)...

3 ...which activates Friendly Fire again, allowing Fixer to hit Setback for 2 HP (Hit 3-1), which again makes Dual Crowbars kick in, allowing Fixer to do a second augmented hit to Operative (Hit 3-2)...

4. ...which activates Friendly Fire *yet again*....and so forth.

Is this a never-ending loop that only stops when Setback is incapped?

The Burning Stickman

robb8888 wrote:

mwc146 wrote:
 robb8888 wrote:

Even more fun?Mr. Fixer + Dual Crowbars + Friendly Fire. Back when we were figuring out the best strategy to unlock DW Setback, we realized that combo can take out The Operative in one turn.

I haven't had my caffeine dose today, so I'm having trouble envisioning it.  Is it something like this?1.  Fixer hits Operative with Dual Crowbars -- first strike of the turn (1), hit 1 of 2 (I'll call this Hit 1-1 to keep track)2.  Friendly Fire activates, allowing Fixer to hit Setback for 2 HP (Hit 2-1) then Dual Crowbars kicks in, allowing Fixer to do a second augmented hit for 2 +1 (Dual Crowbars) + (any other buffs) to Operative (Hit 2-2)...3 ...which activates Friendly Fire again, allowing Fixer to hit Setback for 2 HP (Hit 3-1), which again makes Dual Crowbars kick in, allowing Fixer to do a second augmented hit to Operative (Hit 3-2)...4. ...which activates Friendly Fire *yet again*....and so forth.Is this a never-ending loop that only stops when Setback is incapped? 

Yup. Every time you hit Operative lets you activate Friendly Fire again, with the only limit being Setback's HP. Throw in a Silver Lining and even that isn't the limit.
Kratos13

mwc146 wrote:

robb8888 wrote:

Even more fun?Mr. Fixer + Dual Crowbars + Friendly Fire. Back when we were figuring out the best strategy to unlock DW Setback, we realized that combo can take out The Operative in one turn.Throw in Fixed Point, and you've basically won, so long as you can win via reducing HP to 0.Kinda sucks for Setback, but it's a little fitting that his most broken combo requires him having the everloving hell beaten out of him.

I did this for the very first time recently:

With Fixed Point in play, got two copies of Dual Crowbars, one Jack Handle, one Pipe Wrench, Grease Monkey Fist, Harmony and two copies of Friendly Fire.  Was against Gloomweaver with one Zombie in play.  Did about 130 HP or so damage to each.

Heard the stories about Fixed Point abuse before, but seeing it with my own eyes was quite the experience!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I just imagine it as Fixer taking a swing with his crowbar, rearing back for a second hit, Setback coming up behind him all "Whatcha dooooin'?" the crowbar rebounding off his forehead and Fixer not really noticing, just wondering why his backhand has gotten so springy.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

robb8888 wrote:
Is this a never-ending loop that only stops when Setback is incapped?

Well, that's the end of it right there. :)
NinjaMonkey

mwc146 wrote:

robb8888 wrote:
 mwc146 wrote:
 robb8888 wrote:

I haven't had my caffeine dose today, so I'm having trouble envisioning it.  Is it something like this?1.  Fixer hits Operative with Dual Crowbars -- first strike of the turn (1), hit 1 of 2 (I'll call this Hit 1-1 to keep track)2.  Friendly Fire activates, allowing Fixer to hit Setback for 2 HP (Hit 2-1) then Dual Crowbars kicks in, allowing Fixer to do a second augmented hit for 2 +1 (Dual Crowbars) + (any other buffs) to Operative (Hit 2-2)...3 ...which activates Friendly Fire again, allowing Fixer to hit Setback for 2 HP (Hit 3-1), which again makes Dual Crowbars kick in, allowing Fixer to do a second augmented hit to Operative (Hit 3-2)...4. ...which activates Friendly Fire *yet again*....and so forth.Is this a never-ending loop that only stops when Setback is incapped? 

Yup. Every time you hit Operative lets you activate Friendly Fire again, with the only limit being Setback's HP. Throw in a Silver Lining and even that isn't the limit.

Doesn't Silver Lining stop the chain? I was playing in the video game and running through that combo when Setback died and Silver Lining rejuvinated him. The chain stopped at that point. Was that a bug?

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Silver Lining may or may not stop the chain.

If you hit the a target first and then start the friendly fire chain when Silver Lining triggers you'll still have the second hit of your original attack to resolve.... starting the chain up a second time (if you have a second silver lining that one will break the chain.

If you hit 2 targets first and choose not to trigger friendly fire off the first hit, then Silver Lining will break the chain.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Environment cards that let you discard your entire hand, such as Toxic Seaweed or Rites of Revival can turn Critical Multiplier into a Haka of Battle.  Or, if you have multiple Critical Multipliers out, 3x a Haka of Battle.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Fright Train's Incap + Jack Handle. 

Fright Train makes Mr. Fixer hit himself, but Jack Handle's effect takes priority and hits the villains instead. 

I'm beginning to like Jack handle more and more

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Ooh, nasty! :D

The Burning Stickman

Proverbs and Axioms is also fun with Jackhandle, gives you a double attack.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

And try giving Mister Fixer a Jack Handle and Cortex Hyperstimulator. Every turn is Overdrive!

NinjaMonkey

This could quickly turn into a Mr. Fixer breaks the world thread, so for a change up (all credit to LewdDolphin for this one): Throat Jab + Wrest the Mind.

Throat Jab Visionary and have her drop Wrest the Mind on say, I don't know, an EPE from Omnitron and suddenly you've got a 75 (5 player game) point nuke going straight at Omnitron. Drop it on an Explosives Wagon enhanced by a couple of Skyscraper's Aggression Modulators for even more fun.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

It seems a lot of our great combinations requires heros beating themselves up. That's kind of sad, pain is good?

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

NinjaMonkey wrote:

This could quickly turn into a Mr. Fixer breaks the world thread, so for a change up (all credit to LewdDolphin for this one): Throat Jab + Wrest the Mind.Throat Jab Visionary and have her drop Wrest the Mind on say, I don't know, an EPE from Omnitron and suddenly you've got a 75 (5 player game) point nuke going straight at Omnitron. Drop it on an Explosives Wagon enhanced by a couple of Skyscraper's Aggression Modulators for even more fun.

In fairness, the Throat Jab & Wrest the Mind trick came from a video I saw a year or so ago (it might've been Nunleft speedrunning Omnitron) which did involve Wresting the EPE's Mind with a Throat Jabbed Visionary :P.

LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

LewdDolphin21 wrote:

NinjaMonkey wrote:
This could quickly turn into a Mr. Fixer breaks the world thread, so for a change up (all credit to LewdDolphin for this one): Throat Jab + Wrest the Mind.Throat Jab Visionary and have her drop Wrest the Mind on say, I don't know, an EPE from Omnitron and suddenly you've got a 75 (5 player game) point nuke going straight at Omnitron. Drop it on an Explosives Wagon enhanced by a couple of Skyscraper's Aggression Modulators for even more fun.

In fairness, the Throat Jab & Wrest the Mind trick came from a video I saw a year or so ago (it might've been Nunleft speedrunning Omnitron) which did involve Wresting the EPE's Mind with a Throat Jabbed Visionary :P.

Actually I was wrong! It was apparently Darklyte from March 2015, though he used Divine Sacrifice on Visionary instead of Throat Jab... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rmh03LGW_k

The Burning Stickman

UXM266 wrote:

It seems a lot of our great combinations requires heros beating themselves up. That's kind of sad, pain is good?

Hey, lots of comics have the heroes pulling off extraordinary feats by overdoing it and doing some kind of damage to themselves, so why should SOTM be any different?

But just as a mental exercise, I have concluded that Captain cosmic and Sky-Scraper are Mr. Fixer's best friends.

CC has three each of Augmented Ally and Cosmic Weapon and all of Sky-Scraper's Links can stack. That means with Jackhandle, Grease-Monkey Fist and Harmony, you can have as many as seven AOE attacks in one turn (Three CWs, Overdrive or Charge, then the two from Cortex Overstimulator), all at +2 except the first blow.

UXM266
UXM266's picture

mwc146 wrote:

UXM266 wrote:

Hey, lots of comics have the heroes pulling off extraordinary feats by overdoing it and doing some kind of damage to themselves, so why should SOTM be any different?But just as a mental exercise, I have concluded that Captain cosmic and Sky-Scraper are Mr. Fixer's best friends.CC has three each of Augmented Ally and Cosmic Weapon and all of Sky-Scraper's Links can stack. That means with Jackhandle, Grease-Monkey Fist and Harmony, you can have as many as seven AOE attacks in one turn (Three CWs, Overdrive or Charge, then the two from Cortex Overstimulator), all at +2 except the first blow.

Oh yeah, Fastball Specials, Arrow Special (Hawkeye firing Ant-Man who turns to Giant-Man) Just, realistically, silly to beat your friends up for victory! HAHA, I'm just making a dumb observation. 

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

On the flip side, I played a game against Advanced Bomber Blade today where my primary means of attack was "tricking" Blade into hitting himself and triggering the 2 Backlash Fields he had in play.... It was a pretty great game (and a strategy I'd never used before).

Trajector
Trajector's picture

NinjaMonkey wrote:

Throat Jab + Wrest the Mind.Throat Jab Visionary and have her drop Wrest the Mind on say, I don't know, an EPE from Omnitron and suddenly you've got a 75 (5 player game) point nuke going straight at Omnitron.

If, for some odd reason, the villain is still around after this, Visionary can also cocoon up on her next turn to keep it going. :)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

LewdDolphin21 wrote:

Actually I was wrong! It was apparently Darklyte from March 2015, though he used Divine Sacrifice on Visionary instead of Throat Jab... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rmh03LGW_k

So great!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Heroic Infinitor, Dr Tremata, and Tony Taurus are best friends until Infinitor loses it again.   Since Heroic Infinitor counts as a hero target on the initial side he can't damage either one of them.  Once he flips though they better run.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

robb8888

mwc146 wrote:

UXM266 wrote:

Hey, lots of comics have the heroes pulling off extraordinary feats by overdoing it and doing some kind of damage to themselves, so why should SOTM be any different?But just as a mental exercise, I have concluded that Captain cosmic and Sky-Scraper are Mr. Fixer's best friends.CC has three each of Augmented Ally and Cosmic Weapon and all of Sky-Scraper's Links can stack. That means with Jackhandle, Grease-Monkey Fist and Harmony, you can have as many as seven AOE attacks in one turn (Three CWs, Overdrive or Charge, then the two from Cortex Overstimulator), all at +2 except the first blow.

Even more, if you have Sky-Scraper drop a couple of Compulsion Canisters on him, and that will all be irreducible!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Everyone knows the best combo is Guise borrowing Jackhandle, High-fiving Absolute Zero and then using Thermal Shockwave.  Preferably with Barbarian in play.

Powerhound_2000

That's a fun one if you can pull it off.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Akash in The Block vs. Guise, AZ, Fixer, XPW Fanatic and Grandpa Legacy.

Block plays riot, tons of targets for akash and environment.

Guise borrows Jackhandle, plays Uh Yeah on AZ, uses I can do that too to copy Fanatic's innate power, then Grandpa Legacy lets Guise use Thermal Shockwave.

Akash took 7 shots of 2 cold damage (Inspiring Presence) 3 times, then fell on #4 of 7 hits of 42 fire damage.

I mean, we set the game up hoping to pull it off, and it happened.

Can't wait till XPW Fanatic is in the video game.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Put Twist the Ether on Guise and change everything to cold damage.

GLHF

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

hstein3
hstein3's picture

MigrantP wrote:

Put Twist the Ether on Guise and change everything to cold damage.GLHF

GLHF?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Guise Laughs, Heroes Frown

(Good Luck Have Fun)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

carnilius
Playtester

One I just discovered -- Fixed Point is NASTY on Vengeance.  Not only do all the Villains continue to have full turns despite negative HP, but Proletariat with a single Clone out is practically invincible as all the damage gets redirected to a clone even with the clone at negative HP.

Blackfang108
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

Akash in The Block vs. Guise, AZ, Fixer, XPW Fanatic and Grandpa Legacy.Block plays riot, tons of targets for akash and environment.Guise borrows Jackhandle, plays Uh Yeah on AZ, uses I can do that too to copy Fanatic's innate power, then Grandpa Legacy lets Guise use Thermal Shockwave.Akash took 7 shots of 2 cold damage (Inspiring Presence) 3 times, then fell on #4 of 7 hits of 42 fire damage. I mean, we set the game up hoping to pull it off, and it happened. Can't wait till XPW Fanatic is in the video game.

This is awesome, and I need to try it.

That said, I will never try this outside of the Video Game without an assload of counters in front of me.

Powerhound_2000

phantaskippy wrote:

Akash in The Block vs. Guise, AZ, Fixer, XPW Fanatic and Grandpa Legacy.Block plays riot, tons of targets for akash and environment.Guise borrows Jackhandle, plays Uh Yeah on AZ, uses I can do that too to copy Fanatic's innate power, then Grandpa Legacy lets Guise use Thermal Shockwave.Akash took 7 shots of 2 cold damage (Inspiring Presence) 3 times, then fell on #4 of 7 hits of 42 fire damage. I mean, we set the game up hoping to pull it off, and it happened. Can't wait till XPW Fanatic is in the video game.

Did a hero close to this but in my case Akash'Bhuta has gone through a whole chain of Primeval Eruptions so most of her limbs were out.   The resulting fire damage was 107 to each target.    Since I had Super Ultra Kawaii!! in play I had Guise the Barbarian and X-Tremeeeeee!! out before the power use. 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

If Guise high-fives Omnitron-X with Reactive Plating Subroutine in play, and Guise takes damage that Omnitron-X reduces with a Plating card, Guise will react. Guise doesn't even need to use Lemme See That on the plating, which means he'll react to instances of 1 or 2 damage! Works great on the Ennead's Elemental Storm.

Omnitron-U is also a fun partner for Guise, because Guise can copy its base power and then throw out a ton of Ongoing cards just to get the damage when they disappear.

Powerhound_2000

The shape shifter is apparently well attuned to being a robot.  

robb8888

Never tried this one, but it occurred to me that if playing The Sentinels against Progeny, if you could pull out Caliginous Form and bring Writhe below 10 HP, you could lock Progeny into a loop where he flips (which might be particularly useful in Advanced Mode), keeps hitting himself at the beginning of his own turn, and spares the other heroes.

...of course, if you *don't* get lucky enough to pull Caliginous Form, then The Sentinels likely will ALL serve as punching bags to spare the rest of the heroes.

Powerhound_2000

Progeny typically does multiple instances of damage so you'd need to combo it with Human Shield or something else that would ensure the end of turn damage by Progeny is the first hit made on Writhe. 

The Burning Stickman

I managed that once with Nightmist -- she kept Mistbinding his deck to keep him from pulling out damage cards.

The Burning Stickman

One I just realized on a playthrough today:

Setback's "Whoops! Sorry!" doesn't specify that you have to destroy an ongoing or equipment card, you can destroy any non-character card belonging to another hero. This includes, for instance, Bee Bot, which means you get to destroy two troublesome ongoing or environment cards and do some damage to boot.

(I also just noticed on the art of that card that the Bunker suit itself seems to be sighing in exasperation.)

Powerhound_2000

It's helpful in La Capitan and Chokepoint games too.  You can also take out presents from Santa Guise but he frowns upon that.  

The Burning Stickman

For Chokepoint, though, only after she flips -- her front side says the upside down cards can't be affected by anything.

Powerhound_2000

Yes.  Even End of Days can't impact them on her initial side.  

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Well, one "unexpected combination" that I experienced recently, that turned out to be very BAD was End of Days and The Dreamer.  I had already flipped her, and had about half the cards that I needed, and the game was going very poorly (everyone in single digit hp, 1 incapacitated I think).  I thought I would sneak a win by using End of Days to clear the board and win.  However, as End of Days began to process, I realized my mistake.  It cleared all the projections (yay!) but then began destroying the cards under her as well.  Seeing as these were no longer "projections" (just villain cards) they did not immediately re-deposit back under her, and merely went to the trash.  In the end, I just swapped a little over half the cards I needed for a little under half the cards I needed :(  I feel confident this is one that I would have played incorrectly at the table.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Powerhound_2000

You can get that one to work if an Illusory Demon is out.  Otherwise you will have happen what you described.  

Pages