The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

UK Games Expo

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul
Paul's picture
Admin
UK Games Expo

I have questions!

1) Who is going to be at UK Games Expo in June?

2) If I am at UK Games Expo in June, and had space to run demos, who would be interested in volunteering to help me run demos in exchange for a free badge?

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

1) I'd sure like to!

2) I AM ALL THE INTERESTED

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Seriously, volunteering for you guys is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Damn it, Ronway!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Silverleaf

Awesome! Can I put you down as Definitely Yes???

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

You can put me down as Definitely Yes If I Can Find A Cheap Hotel Room. ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

You can put me down as a 'Definitely Yes!' who already has a hotel room!

And a smartphone. I have a smartphone now. I may do dumb stuff, but I learn from my dumb stuff!

Semper ludens.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'll work something out hotel-wise. Boyfriend seems surprisingly keen to go to Expo so at least I can share!

Paul, what dates are we looking at? I know it's 3-6th June but presumably being there for setup and takedown would be good, right? I'm totally free for extra days as long as I know what's happening...

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I'll work something out hotel-wise. Boyfriend seems surprisingly keen to go to Expo so at least I can share!

I'm staying at the wonderfully titled 'ETAP (soon to be Ibis Budget) Birmingham Airport', which according to my research a while ago, was the cheapest hotel that is still within walking distance of the NEC and the Hilton. Rooms are about 90 pounds a night without cancellation/food, if they still have any.

Semper ludens.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Thanks Julia, I'll check that one out. :)

Damn it, Ronway!

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

Airbnb, guys! It's where it's aaaaaat

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Where is this Expo thingy? Is it in London? If it is, maybe I can come along...

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

It's in Birmingham.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I am still working on the optimal trans-Atlantic flight, but I just discovered that you can get round-trip tickets from London to Birmingham for £22, so I'll fly into whatever airport is cheapest.

Julia
Playtester

From where I am, it weirdly enough is cheapest to fly from Cologne to London Heathrow, take the train from Euston to Birmingham International and then fly from Birmingham Airport back to Düsseldorf and take the train back to Cologne.

I said 'cheapest', not 'most convenient'.

Semper ludens.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Luckily I'm only an hour and a half from Birmingham, which of course takes longer on a train. Still, pretty short journey.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Birmingham? Bahhh, I got all excited there for a moment :(.

I am the Wordweaver...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Ameena

Could you come up on the train? It says it only takes about 2 hours.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Paul, can you confirm what dates you need people? Want help with setup, etc?

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

If this is just demos and not a booth we're talking about (and I have the feeling we are), there probably won't even be anything much to set up or take down. 

If it was a booth, you would probaly look at a Thursday daytime set up and a Sunday by 6pm takedown (some of my friends will have a booth, that's how I know).

But I still don't think there is a booth. That would be so much work for them.

Semper ludens.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Um...I've never been to Birmingham and I just checked the train website and it looks like there's about four stations there so I wouldn't know which one to go to. If it takes two hours to get there, that's about half a day just on travelling so I probably wouldn't be able to be there for too long, plus it's probably really expensive to go all the way up...erm...wherever exactly Birmingham is (somewhere near the middle, I think?). I also may be going on holiday from the 6th of June but it's not confirmed just yet. If this meet-up was in London I wouldn't mind going and would even be okay making the journey by myself. Still, never mind. Maybe there will be one in London that I can get to at some point, some day ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

Ameena wrote:

Um...I've never been to Birmingham and I just checked the train website and it looks like there's about four stations there so I wouldn't know which one to go to. If it takes two hours to get there, that's about half a day just on travelling so I probably wouldn't be able to be there for too long, plus it's probably really expensive to go all the way up...erm...wherever exactly Birmingham is (somewhere near the middle, I think?). I also may be going on holiday from the 6th of June but it's not confirmed just yet. If this meet-up was in London I wouldn't mind going and would even be okay making the journey by myself. Still, never mind. Maybe there will be one in London that I can get to at some point, some day ;).

Maybe there'll be one on the north of England at some point, some day.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Everyone

I don't think that I need any help with setup since it will be really simple and handled by the store we are working with. Just demo running! I'd love to get together with people the day before the show though if people will be around to go over games that people might know / how to run the best demos.

@Ameena

Too bad! It would be awesome to see you again!

I forget that the subjective experience of distance is so different in the UK from the US; for me, I can't get anywhere at all interesting by train for $30, so a 2 hour train ride to a whole other city seems excitingly close. On Wednesday, Christopher drove from St. Louis to Kansas City and back; STL to KC is slightly farther than London to York, and that is fairly normal US behavior (8 hours in a car).

I wish we had useful trains :/

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Paul wrote:

I wish we had useful train *puns*:/

FTFY

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:
On Wednesday, Christopher drove from St. Louis to Kansas City and back; STL to KC is slightly farther than London to York, and that is fairly normal US behavior (8 hours in a car).I wish we had useful trains :/
To be a little more precise, that's fairly normal midwestern US behavior. I spent a lot of time on the East and West cost before recently moving to Indiana. When I was living in New York, I would have thought that was insane. But I drove up to Chicago (4 hours each way) for a weekend recently. (I still would have to have a pretty strong reason to do that for a one-day event, though.)
Julia
Playtester

@ Ameena (or anybody else travelling to UKGE by train who doesn't know where to go)

The train station you'd want is called 'Birmingham International Station'- it's the one near the airport. And the UK Games Expo Venue (well, one of them, anyway) is sort of attatched to the station. That won't make the train journey itself any shorter, but it's not like you need to deal with buses or cabs or anything else once you have made it to the station.

Semper ludens.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

It would still be a total journey time of maybe five hours, including there and back, from where I live about 30 miles east-southeast from London, so I'd have to leave ridiculously early (therefore the train fare would be even more ridiculously expensive than it would be off-peak) to even be able to spend a decent couple of hours there before I'd have to head back down again and try not to get home too late travelling (probably) all by myself on scary trains :(. I just looked up the car route in case there's any chance I could persuade my sister to go for a day out randomly all the way up in Birmingham but the journey time is still nearly three hours.

If ever there is a >G thingy in London I'm sure I'll be able to come along (Ja'Ph' and I made the one up in Leisure Games in the north of London a couple of years back and we go to the monthly meets around central London to play with various people from the forum), but otherwise it would probably be somewhat tricky :(. If it was in London I probably wouldn't even mind coming up on more than one day if it was at one of those conventions that runs over a weekend or something.

I am the Wordweaver...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Ameena

Cool! I do like London, so I will try to come up with an excuse to do this :)

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Paul,

Not originally going, but tentatively interested in volunteering. Whether I can make it will depend on what you need and what I can get off work.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Okay, confirming my attendance! Booked into the hotel Julia suggested (thanks Julia).

I'll take a train down on Thursday and Michael will be joining me on Friday, and we're there all weekend. Yay! :)

Damn it, Ronway!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Woo!

@pwatson1974

I could definitely use any amount of time that you are willing and able to spend running demos :)

pinklegacy

I'll be there as we always go (and last year I got 3rd place in the cosplay contest in my Legacy costume!), but won't be able to commit to a time for doing demos.  I will however, rave extremely entusiatically about SotM when I'm at the booth and help out at the time if it's wanted.  I may even have to break out the Legacy cosplay again ;)

You can see the cosplay on this UKGE page btw (scroll down) :D

ScoopsUK

Just to echo Julia above... The NEC is accessed from Birmingham International. The great thing is that if coming by train, you barely need to step outside once off the platform as you are effectively in the NEC once you are out of the station. It is one long skywalk straight to the NEC itself and a quick wander across to the hotel where the show is. If you want to save a couple of quid and make getting in and out easier (depending on how busy the car park is), park at the train station as recommended on the UKGE website. The multistory at the train station is safe, easy to park in and it will keep your car dry and we all know how important that is!

Travelling up from London should be easy. Virgin make the journey in 1hr 20mins ish and currently is only £8 each way. Bargain. London Midland are generally cheaper but their trains are slower and stop more with it taking nearly 2 hours to make the journey. Trains leaving Euston are direct. 

Sorry for the travel guide but some may find it useful..

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Ok so! So far I have:

• Julia
  • Silverleaf
  • Pwatson

I'm about to get badges for you all! Anyone else interested?? I'll also email everyone in a week or two to make some plans for meeting up, doing stuff, and learning games to demo!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I wish I could go to all the cons and help you guys out! :P

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@Donner

Me too :D

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I could potentially be going to this for the Saturday and Sunday; I'd love to help you guys out if so!

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Not a chance for me to make it up there and do so stuff for you, I am sad.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I will be there! Woohoo!

I mean, tip top cheerio and all that!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

pinklegacy

We need a SotM Cosplay meetup too!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

Ok so! So far I have:JuliaSilverleafPwatsonI'm about to get badges for you all! Anyone else interested?? I'll also email everyone in a week or two to make some plans for meeting up, doing stuff, and learning games to demo!

Paul,

Not to nag, but any progress on that e-mail? It's under a fortnight to go and I'm one of those personality types that realy likes having things planned out beforehand.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Hey, I like doing stuff!

Looking forward to it very much. :)

Damn it, Ronway!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Train ticket booked. Will arrive around 4 on Thursday.

pinklegacy

Which stand number will you be at please?

>G isn't listed in the Exhibitors in the program

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

I don't have a number, but unless anything major has changed, >G should be with Eclectic Games.

Is there any new information? Did I miss anything? Getting really antsy here...

pinklegacy

Thanks :) Eclectic Games is E43 so I'll be marking that on my map now :D

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Two days to go. Still no idea where or when i'm supposed to be demoing whatever it is I'm supposed to demo. No idea if there's even a badge for me and under what name it's reserved. I am moving out of anxious towards angry. I really do expect better from a professional outfit.

Julia
Playtester

I am actually half-expecting that we will get some form of update today.

Prediction is based on 70% good faith and 30% on "Well, it might be two weeks late but yesterday was Memorial Day and today it's not even 10am yet."

Semper ludens.

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Julia,

I hope so. But as you said: two weeks late.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Consider me worried at this point.

Damn it, Ronway!

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

Julia wrote:

https://twitter.com/GTGChristopher/status/737579538968780800 - that's an update, I guess?

Julia
Playtester

Garou wrote:

Julia wrote:

https://twitter.com/GTGChristopher/status/737579538968780800 - that's an update, I guess?

Oooh, an implied vital sign!

Semper ludens.

Pages