The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Tournament Play? What do you see/want out of this potential type of event?

1 post / 0 new
vscory
Tournament Play? What do you see/want out of this potential type of event?

Knowing how people love a good competition (even in a co-op game). What is it that would make a tournament format work in your mind for this game?

I will name some of my first hurdles that I would anticipate.
1) Moderation- Who keeps track of how well a team performs and that the game is being managed properly? I guess you could call this judging as well. The hurdle I see is that you are not playing against another human that can call a judge to clean up any rules issues or make sure the game is progressing properly. The fix? I could see a couple of options here. First, put a judge at each table. Seems easy until the event is 40 teams large. Ugh. Second, and maybe a better option is to add a +1 to the total number of team mates that each group brings and have them moderate. They can then call a judge as needed to fix unclear resolutions. Still iffy on this one as someone has to basically sit out a round.

2)How do you score this thing? Usually a quick and easy win/loss rating will get you there. This game is not that easy for a grander type event outside of our kitchen tables in my opinion. The fix? I say look towards the accomplishment list as a guide. Trim that list down to maybe ten legitimate bonus point options and three really hard to get to goals. Make these dicussable with the team as they sit down to play and have them check off any that they want to attempt. I would say that this would have to be determined prior to playing for the sake of tracking. Things I would say would be playing with less team mates as a handicap, finishing at full health, playing on advanced mode, playing a game where you cannot talk or share what cards you have with your team mates...you get the idea.

3) How do you determine who plays what villain in what environment with what heroes? First, it could all be pre-determined and that is legitimate. Or, you could put it in the hands of the players. This is where I could see the game becoming more of a team vs. team type event. Two teams of four come to a divided table. A randomization is made to determine a first choice. First, one team chooses the opposing villain then the other chooses. The second team chooses the opposing team's environment. Then the teams take turns picking from the available heroes. This could develop a lot of strategy in this aspect alone. I also feel it will help in allowing for some of the lesser heroes to be played. Not sure if it will balance out the villains though. Maybe you cannot face a back-to-back game of a same villain or environment? I really like this as an idea.

I think I have addressed my larger ideas of what the hurdles I would imagine as being. I really like the idea of this game in a competitive environment (every once in a while). It brings more of a team of buddies against the world, and I do not get that in most games that I play.

Let's get this done for GenCon next year guys!