The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The Letters Page!

247 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

And it's not like they haven't done this before.  Omnitron and Omnitron-X aren't really the same person even if they come from the same place.  Neither are Visionary and The Dreamer.  

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Thank you I think the point has been beaten in on me at this point.   cheeky

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Heh, sorry for the pile on. X3

I too want to hear all the things about Space Dad (and, er, Space Uncle?), since we don't really have a whole lot about Captain Cosmic as a person yet other than "cheerfully British". Also that he's a heroic lawyer. (Note to self: Ask what branch of law he's most trained in.)

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Also, his Xtreme variant has the best dialogue. :D

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Yeah, I think that is one of the coolest parts of the Letters Page, we get a lot more look into the personality of certain characters.

Sure, we knew a little about The Wraith, but I would never have guessed she fears crossing the line because she doesn't know if she'll be able to find her way back. I had never associated that with her before. Or AZ being the most philosophical of the Freedom Five and on and on. These are insights we just couldn't get any other way, and I love them

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

Also, his Xtreme variant has the best dialogue. :D

I think the truest tragedy of them talking about the Prime Warden members seperately is that we likely won't get much XTREEEEEEME content until the group episode. Seriously, I love the tongue-in-cheek nature of these promos.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:

Yeah, I think that is one of the coolest parts of the Letters Page, we get a lot more look into the personality of certain characters.

Granted, even after their episodes there's a few characters where we still don't have much of a handle on their personalities. *looks disappointedly at Nightmist and Argent Adept*

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

Jeysie wrote:

Chaosmancer wrote:

Granted, even after their episodes there's a few characters where we still don't have much of a handle on their personalities. *looks disappointedly at Nightmist and Argent Adept*

True, but we still got something.

Argent is "like a man working on four master's degrees" that makes him harrowed, highly focused and yet distracted at the same time. He's insecure about what he does know, assuming others have more knowledge about what is going on because he still has so much to learn. He prefers resolving conflicts without fighting, and preserving life when possible in the case of that Portal Fiend egg.

It's all stuff I didn't know about him before that helps flesh him out.

Same sort of thing with Nightmist, especially since she was the "plucky daughter sidekick" of a detective for years, learning to rely on provable fact and denying magick and the arcane. I don't know if we knew that before. She's also immersed in her studies, but less frantically than Argent. She seems like she's confident in what she knows (taking on a student in Lillian) while still realizing how much bigger the world of magic is.

Man, I love these characters SO MUCH!

Ehkrickor
Ehkrickor's picture

Chaosmancer wrote:
 Man, I love these characters SO MUCH!

I know exactly what you mean. And i love the letters page, though I think my favorite episode so far was definately Haka. We got so much further into the character of the man than some other episodes, though that could be because his powers & background are simpler on the surface. Loved the whole "it's never the Haka show" that... Adam(i think) mentioned. Can't wait for the next letters page! ^.^

Then again I could be biased about the Haka episode they answered SoO many of my questions.

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Haka does sem to be the moral compass of the Multiverse, doesn't he? I definitely have much more respect for him after his episode.

DrScott

Is the Google form linked in the OP still active - is that what I should use to submit a question?  Or is there a better way?

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

Powerhound_2000

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

DrScott

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The link to the form is this https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd9aq1Kv7Y1eObnBj4fqhQzwI3rYfAKEyuzYzgyowNZKQxeRg/viewform and can be found on the Main Letters Page site at http://theletterspage.libsyn.com/

That seems to link to the same form as the one I used from the first post.  Thank you!

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn

saykhia
saykhia's picture

Something I am curious to know: why is the Letters Page so shy from brand names? In comparison other podcasts I listen to (eg Secret Cabal, Dice Tower) do not shy away from brand names at all.

Is this because of the 'type' of podcast? Letters Page deals with its own IP and should therefore tiptoe around other IPs, whereas the aforementioned podcasts deal with the review of IPs belonging to others.

Prefers smooth peanut butter, but loves crunchy numbers.

Powerhound_2000

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Especially since it plays into the Sentinel Comics Publishing universe being its own thing. Can't have the same names in that version of our world; where's the fun in that?

Sentinels is hardly the only property to do this anyways: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Yatter

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That's hilarious. XD

And all I can think is, "Are hardcore users of the site known as Yattermen?"

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Someone on Tumblr recently described the Letters Page as "two dudes talking about their OCs and making bad puns for an hour and a half" and I was like, "Yeah and people love to listen to it; Christopher and Adam are kinda getting to live every creator's dream right now as a result, aren't they?"

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

"two dudes talking about their OCs and making bad puns for an hour and a half"

Yup, sounds about right. And I've been enjoying it so far. :)

The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

If you had a podcast of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby discussing Marvel Comics, you could describe it exactly the same way.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I think I would add "bad voice acting" to the list, but fairly accurate

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I see nothing wrong with that description.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Hey, folks! I was just looking at the schedule for November, and I realized that Adam and I are going to have to be recording all day tomorrow and Friday. We leave next Tuesday morning to go to Philadelphia for PAX Unplugged, and then the week we get back is the week of Thanksgiving, which Adam is traveling during. So! Here's what we have to record before we leave:

• Urban Settings: Megalopolis, Freedom Tower, Rook City, San Alonso, Maerynian Refuge, Mordengrad
  • Blood Magic: Blood Countess & the Court of Blood, Bugbear, Hermetic
  • Biomancer
  • Editor’s Note #12

Whoof! That's a lot of stuff.

Anyway! Please send us your questions on those things ASAP!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Powerhound_2000

Geez you guys won’t have any energy for other stuff after all of that.  Guess I’ve got some letters to write.  

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I already sent in some Megalopolis and Blood Magic questions (at least I hope the latter made it in, as I accidentally sent it through BaconReader's built-in browser instead of my usual browser), so I just gotta finish writing down my Biomancer thoughts. :D

Edit: And there goes that letter too... whee!

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I never know what questions to send in until it's too late anyway. D:

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

TakeWalker wrote:

I never know what questions to send in until it's too late anyway. D:

Same, and then I face-palm when I realize there were obvious questions I defintely should have asked.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

If it makes you feel better, I can write letters with a bunch of questions and then still realize I forgot something. (Like when you tell Twitch you were off writing letters with lots of questions about [x] and Twitch is like "Did you ask about [thing y] for [x]" and you're like "uh... well... I should have, oops".)

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

You can always ask follow-up questions! That what Editor's Notes are for!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

And we should still tag those followup questions with the character name, not "Editor's Note" or "Followup" or anything weird, right? I'm never sure if I should be going for the deck/character, or the episode it's going to be on, like with the Urban Settings...

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Yeah, I felt a little confused, so I tagged my Megalopolis question as Megalopolis but labelled my Blood Magic questions as Blood Magic because my letter was mainly about blood magic as a general concept...

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Yeah, just always tag your questions with what it's about. Baron Blade questions should be tagged "Baron Blade". Megalopolis questions should be tagged "Megalopolis". And so on and so forth.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Random question: If there was an editor's note style question where it was more about a topic about how it relates to multiple characters, is it better to ask individual questions for each hero, or group them together under with a tag under that topic?

I have a serious question about puns/one-liners and can't decide the best way to submit it.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Maybe you could tag that "The Publishing Universe" or "The Writers" or "Sentinel Comics?"

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

If it can be broken into questions about individual characters and tagged that way, it would be best. Otherwise, "Other" is good.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

carnilius
Playtester

If I sent in a letter, but then wasn't sure if I tagged it, is it best to resubmit, or just hope for the best?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Pydro was providing a letter searching service a while back.  Try shooting him a PM.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

saykhia wrote:

Something I am curious to know: why is the Letters Page so shy from brand names? In comparison other podcasts I listen to (eg Secret Cabal, Dice Tower) do not shy away from brand names at all.Is this because of the 'type' of podcast? Letters Page deals with its own IP and should therefore tiptoe around other IPs, whereas the aforementioned podcasts deal with the review of IPs belonging to others.

They discuss it in detail on their Intellectual Property Podcast :)

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

Is'nt that the one they release on the 7th Sunday of every month?

carnilius
Playtester

Phantom5613 wrote:

Only if it falls on a Tuesday.

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

carnilius wrote:

Phantom5613 wrote:

Only if it falls on a Tuesday.

Yes but they always release an episode on Febuary 30th 

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

As long as the Moon loses her daughter.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

I have a question that’s more of a general cosmic setting question than one of the particular environments, what should I label it?

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Misc (Cosmic Settings) maybe?

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

"Cosmic Settings" is a good label for that!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Powerhound_2000

The Time Travel episode will be recorded this coming Monday per twitter https://twitter.com/scletterspage/status/951959594695299072

Pages