The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

The game I want to play

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities
The game I want to play

I've been at a loss lately.  I want to play a game that doesn't exist, as near as I can tell.  I thought I'd describe that game here so GtG can make it for me and I can buy it.

I want a boardgame with a strong basic mechanic that drives the game.  By this I mean, it's not just a complicated collection of movement rules and targeting rules and line of sight rules.  I want a game like Smallworld (capturing territory is simple) or Takenoko (you're either growing or eating bamboo to score points) or Castles of Mad King Ludwing (players value pieces other players buy to maximize their profit), where once you've grokked the basic mechanic of the game, you don't have to re-teach yourself the game each time you play if you haven't played in a couple of months.  SotM definitely fits in the category of having a strong mechanic driving the game (play, power, draw), but Tactics and Spirit Island do not, and I want a boardgame (plus, I've already got SotM).

The boardgame should have a fun, strong, geek-appropriate theme.  Mostly I want superheroes running around a city fighting crime, but I wouldn't kick a different but still fun themed game out of bed.

The game is not coop.  Coop games are great, but this game should have each player playing for themselves, with only the lightest of screw-your-neighbor mechanics if necessary.  Each player is trying to accumulate points and at the end of the game the points are tallied and a winner is crowned.  No one gets knocked out early, and no one has to ruin another player's game just to win theirs.

Lastly, I love great game pieces.  In fact, I'd love a boardgame which used the Tactics minis so I could have a use for those when I'm not playing Tactics (which is, sadly, often).  The game can use meeples or tokens in addition to pretty minis, but I do not want a game with nothing but colored square blocks.  I'm not a toddler.

So there you have it.  Reading back over it, I can see that what I've just described is perhaps just a simplified Tactics where the players don't have to fight each other.  I'd buy that for $40.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

You know there's nothing stopping you from making the game, yeah? ;)

(And if it's truly amazing, pitch it to GTG!)

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

The first game I thought of is Cthulhu Wars.  It's an area control game where each player controls an army of eldritch abominations.  It's a fantastic game in all but one respect.

1)  The basic mechanics are pretty simple.  Each round you get some amount of energy, and each action costs energy, so you go around the table using actions until all your energy is exhausted.  Combat is very simple almost no modifiers.  Each army has individual effects that can give them special effects or actions, which do complicate the game, but the basics are simple.

2)  Strong theme.  You are an army of eldritch abominations fighting other armies of eldritch abominations for control of the planet.  And each army's special effects are strongly thematically tied.

3) Not a coop.  It's not a war game either, although it could be mistaken for such, since there is combat, but it's focus is area control like Small World.  Like Small World, all mechanics are designed towards benefiting yourself, although some of them do hurt your opponents in the process.

4) If you like magnificent game pieces, this is the game for you.  The miniatures for the Great Old Ones are larger than your fist, and the only pieces that the armies have in common are their cultists.  If you appreciate the minis, the game might even be worth the $200 price tag.

And there you have it.  Cthulhu Wars is an amazing game, but it's also $200 because the miniatures aren't miniature.  I'm told that Chaos in the Old World is a similar game, but I've never played it so I can't comment on how well it meets your desires.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Spiff
Spiff's picture

PeterCHayward wrote:

You know there's nothing stopping you from making the game, yeah? ;)

True.  I've taken a few weak tries at it but I don't have the patience, especially for the balancing part of it.

PeterCHayward wrote:

(And if it's truly amazing, pitch it to GTG!)

I just did, with this post!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

The first game I thought of is Cthulhu Wars.  It's an area control game where each player controls an army of eldritch abominations.  It's a fantastic game in all but one respect.1)  The basic mechanics are pretty simple.  Each round you get some amount of energy, and each action costs energy, so you go around the table using actions until all your energy is exhausted.  Combat is very simple almost no modifiers.  Each army has individual effects that can give them special effects or actions, which do complicate the game, but the basics are simple.2)  Strong theme.  You are an army of eldritch abominations fighting other armies of eldritch abominations for control of the planet.  And each army's special effects are strongly thematically tied.3) Not a coop.  It's not a war game either, although it could be mistaken for such, since there is combat, but it's focus is area control like Small World.  Like Small World, all mechanics are designed towards benefiting yourself, although some of them do hurt your opponents in the process.4) If you like magnificent game pieces, this is the game for you.  The miniatures for the Great Old Ones are larger than your fist, and the only pieces that the armies have in common are their cultists.  If you appreciate the minis, the game might even be worth the $200 price tag. And there you have it.  Cthulhu Wars is an amazing game, but it's also $200 because the miniatures aren't miniature.  I'm told that Chaos in the Old World is a similar game, but I've never played it so I can't comment on how well it meets your desires. 

I watched a video review of Cthulhu Wars.  You're right, those gigantic minis are spectacular.  The reviewer really liked the game and only really choked on the $200 price tag, which is to be expected.  Unfortunately, for $200, you can't really just pick it up to see how your group likes it.  You have to be sure they're going to love it.

That was a strong recomendation, Arcanist.  Thanks.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Have you played King of Tokyo?

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Spiff
Spiff's picture

No, because all the reviews make it seem like mostly just an amped-up game of Yahtzee.  Plus, if I understand correctly, you're actively trying to screw the other player's monsters by pulling them out of the city or whatever.  The game often gets picked up and rolled around when I'm cruising the game store, but it hasn't gotten bought yet.

lynkfox
lynkfox's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

King of Tokyo is a push your luck screw em game, so I don't think that's what you're looking for spiff. It'd fun, don't get me wrong.

Maybe try Seasons? It's more card than board game, and there is a little screw your opponent, but mostly it's who can accumulate the most stuff in a set time limit. It's one of my favorites, even if it doesn't get to the table as much (a little set up intensive for my usuall need, but not like Cthulu intensive)

There is a board game with the same theme called Xidit (I think) but never tried it

Lynkfox.
http://sentinelswiki.com/ The Sentinels of the Multiverse Wiki

http://mindwanderer.net/sotm/ - SoTM Statistics! Updated DAILY!

PM me if you're interested in playing with the Statistics Data!

cmschex
Playtester

While I love Seasons, it definately has some pretty nast "screw you" cards in it and it is definately a card game.  However, I would recommend it to anyone, especially if you play with the drafting.  Not sure if what's Spiff is looking for though

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Lords of Xidit got a strong Dice Castle review, and could be my next purchase (thanks, lynkfox).  It sounds super close to what I want - a simple mechanic (actionprogramming, in this case) which drives interesting interactions throughout the game, with a great theme and high production values.  Too bad it's not a superhero game. :)

Sarpathian
Sarpathian's picture

Maybe Tokaido for a non co-op with a bit less of the screw the other players type of game.  Not very combatty though but the different characters and ways of earning points is really good.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hobos have been living off of pigeon jerky for years! - Olly

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looks like Xidit has tokens to represent where the heroes move on the board. Use Tactics minis!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

If you like the action programming mechanic, then Colt Express may be right up your alley!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The little 3D train you have to rob in Colt Express is fantastic, but it sounds like there's a lot of stopping the other robbers from getting loot so you can end up the winner, which isn't ideal.

Really, I just think GtG should make the game I want so I can buy it.  It's the simplest solution (for me).

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

There can be a lot of trying to do that and failing to do so =). It's a great mix of action programming + decisions on the fly.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I like Colt Express, but I do think that there's a little more "take that" in the game than Spiff was looking for. It sounded like he was looking for Euro-level interaction, but with more theme.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Maybe too euro-y, and not enough theme, but hie about Kingsburg?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

Are you coming to Gencon? If so, remind me to show you Hex Mex.

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

Spiff
Spiff's picture

PeterCHayward wrote:

Are you coming to Gencon? If so, remind me to show you Hex Mex.

No Gencon for me.  Why do you think Hex Mex would be a good match for me?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Have you done any playtesting on Fate of the Elder Gods yet? It honestly sounds like it meets all of those criteria. Especially once the pieces are done.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Aw, too bad you don't want co-op. Awesome set pieces? Amazing core mechanic/concept? Pretty easy to pick up and go again? Kingdom Death: Monster. (it does have an insane rule book and insane price tag, though. The book is mostly because you can play a campaign, and so it keeps unlocking new stuff as you go)

So many co-ops I know are clean and direct and great; Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Forbidden Desert, for a few off my head.

Ah! I got one. I can not say enough things about how amazing Tsuro is, or Tsuro of the Seas (which you can buy the latter and play both versions using it). That has a strong 'screw your neigbhor' CAPACITY to it, but you can easily play with a gentleman's agreement not to try to hurt one another (which is how I play 100% of the time, and always instruct my table to play) and it's just as fun if not more. It also only has the following rules: Play a path before you. Follow the path. Do not go off the edge or strike another player. That's it.

I'll keep thinking.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Spiff wrote:

I watched a video review of Cthulhu Wars.  You're right, those gigantic minis are spectacular.  The reviewer really liked the game and only really choked on the $200 price tag, which is to be expected.  Unfortunately, for $200, you can't really just pick it up to see how your group likes it.  You have to be sure they're going to love it.That was a strong recomendation, Arcanist.  Thanks.

Ok, I have to jump in here. I own Cthulhu Wars (kickstarted it and cut that 200 price tag by more than half due to early bird pledge camping) and I have a few things to say about this game.

I say this honestly. It is by far one of the best games in my collection. Even the "non-gamer" friends who have played love it and want to play more.

Visually the thing is obviously stunning. The monster pieces are large and crazy detailed. The map is great to look at and super easy to understand at a glance. Mechanically speaking, the game is super tight. I only own the 4 base factions (I am strongly considering a 5th expansion faction however, any more than that and id be forced to buy the 6-8 player map which im not doing), and those 4 factions are so incredibly different to play and all balanced really nicely. The flow of the game is one of my favorite parts, and it becomes really easy to teach people how to play because of how fluid the turns are. A simple remind card lets you know what actions you can take on any turn and the cost (there are not that many of them to be confused by). Once you get into the first round, even the newest of gamers will have a strong grasp on how the game works and what they need to do. Each faction is given goals to reach in order to gain spellbooks (which you need to have to win anyway), so you never have those moments of "ok...so what do I do now?" This is especially great for newer players as the factions themselves guide you well into the specific playstyles (for instance, Cthulhu/Green has a lot of goals related to battles and killing other units which is the factions strong suit).

In the end, CWars is an area control game at the heart of its central mechanic. It's a fairly simple game at it's core that has a ton of depth and strategy once you get into it. Due to how tight the mechanics/game balance is and how stunning the game looks visually on the table, I highly recommend this game even at the $200 price point.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

If you want something that looks amazing, does a mechanic very well, and pays out when players act in-theme, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for Dragoon. I picked my copy up at PAX East, but they sold out and are in the process of ordering more.

It's an action-point strategy game that feels like what you would get if you took Tactics and distilled it down to the absolute essentials. I have no problem saying that, for me at least, Dragoon is better. Up to four players are dragons trying to claim gold from human villages that pop up randomly on an island. Cards provide special powers.

In a sense, there is some screw-your-neighbor going on as players are competing to grab gold from a limited number of villages, so there will be claiming and counter-claiming. However, this mechanic balances out very well among all the players and the ultimate victory condition is a race to a certain amount of gold (which is always appearing on the map) rather than a battle between players. Big swings are possible all the way until the end, so the trailing player is never really out of the game.

Thematically, it might seem like the game is abstract-ified enough to be rather thin. However, the game really rewards aggressive, bold moves - so when my wife and I teach it to new people, we often end up encouraging them to "just BE a dragon!" We find that it fits quite nicely.

Also, the game pieces are made of metal and all the artwork is very stylish.

As an aside, the GTG folks know them. I understand that Craig helped them out with some logistical advice. I'm glad he did, because now I have another awesome game!

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

eviltoon wrote:

Aw, too bad you don't want co-op. Awesome set pieces? Amazing core mechanic/concept? Pretty easy to pick up and go again? Kingdom Death: Monster. (it does have an insane rule book and insane price tag, though. The book is mostly because you can play a campaign, and so it keeps unlocking new stuff as you go)So many co-ops I know are clean and direct and great; Pandemic, Forbidden Island, and Forbidden Desert, for a few off my head.Ah! I got one. I can not say enough things about how amazing Tsuro is, or Tsuro of the Seas (which you can buy the latter and play both versions using it). That has a strong 'screw your neigbhor' CAPACITY to it, but you can easily play with a gentleman's agreement not to try to hurt one another (which is how I play 100% of the time, and always instruct my table to play) and it's just as fun if not more. It also only has the following rules: Play a path before you. Follow the path. Do not go off the edge or strike another player. That's it.I'll keep thinking.

Tsuro is really fun and definitely seems to fit what you're looking for. I would second this recommendation. Haven't played Tsuro of the seas but that looks fun as well.

Bowie
Bowie's picture
Playtester

Dandolo wrote:
Tsuro is really fun and definitely seems to fit what you're looking for. I would second this recommendation. Haven't played Tsuro of the seas but that looks fun as well.

I can tell you, it's the same game, but you're a boat instead of a dragon...

And then there's dragons who are flying around casually destroying everything in their path. The game is INSTANTLY stressful, with the fun of paths being unmade as dragons decimate them. The meta concept is you're playing Tsuro as boats, and meanwhile a Tsuro game of dragons is happening ON TOP OF YOU. They move randomly based on the roll of 2d6.

And it's awesome.

Bowie S, pronounced like David, not like Knife, can be found in Minneapolis and has Monomaniacal Reverse Engineer d10
Death and the dice level all distinctions. -Samuel Foote

XXVZ
XXVZ's picture

arenson9 wrote:

Looks like Xidit has tokens to represent where the heroes move on the board. Use Tactics minis!

I was really confused by the talk of Xidit, then I realized I was thinking of Dixit...

"72% of all statistics are made up"
-XXVZ

Trajector
Trajector's picture

So, Spiff, I went back and re-read your original post before all this discussion happened, and I think you are definitely describing Dragoon.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

@Craig - not yet, mostly because I haven't seen a Cthulhu-themed game which isn't complicated (Elder Scrolls seems to be the least so), so I assumed Fate of the Elder Gods would be similar.  I'm take a look through the playtest materials though to give it a fair shot.

@eviltoon - Tsuro sounds nice but maybe too simple.  The game description says games only take 15 minutes.  I usually want to spend about an hour on a game if I'm taking the trouble to get it down from the shelf.

@Trajector - Dragoon looks interesting, but I'm a little confused by the talk in the reviews of how gorgeous everything is.  For what I can see of the pix, the colors are all some combination of washed out white, orange, red, and teal.  The components look like something you'd see in a game from the 1950s.  I must be missing something.

No superhero games, huh?  I've been casting a covetous eye on Heroes Wanted, the game where you build goofy characters with two cards which determine the character's name and power (Boss Cactus, or Franken-Skunk, or Eternal Star).  Can't tell if it's actually a good fit for my criteria or not though.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

I've been casting a covetous eye on Heroes Wanted, the game where you build goofy characters with two cards which determine the character's name and power (Boss Cactus, or Franken-Skunk, or Eternal Star).  Can't tell if it's actually a good fit for my criteria or not though.

I've only played it once, but there wasn't enough there to make me interested in playing it again. frown Hopefully Andy can give you his thoughts on this, as he's played it more than I have and seemed to enjoy it more.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Tsuro in my group makes for a good "while we wait for the stragglers to arrive" game.  It's simple, but fun.

You might take a look at Guilds of Cadwallon.  It has some issues, but it's simple and enjoyable, with interesting figurines and very pretty (perhaps too pretty) tiles.  The catch is that I found that it didn't really shine until we added the 5-8 player expansion (which increases the board size from 3x3 to 4x4 or 5x5 in addition to adding more room for players).

Also, I'm not sure that it meets your criteria, but have you looked at Betrayal at House on the Hill?  Flavor through the roof, and pretty simple mechanics (mostly), although it is mostly cooperative.

tyleradiaz

Mm...not going: to lie, it almost sounds like you want to play lords of waterdeep? Mechanically it's a worker placement game with a handful of standard actions, and players can build buildings to get access to more actions. Thematically, you're all various dukes and nobles and such in a dnd city, and you're gathering rogues and priests and warriors and such to send them on quests. Each quest requires specific character combinations to complete for points.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

Spiff wrote:
I've been casting a covetous eye on Heroes Wanted, the game where you build goofy characters with two cards which determine the character's name and power (Boss Cactus, or Franken-Skunk, or Eternal Star).  Can't tell if it's actually a good fit for my criteria or not though.

I've only played it once, but there wasn't enough there to make me interested in playing it again. frown Hopefully Andy can give you his thoughts on this, as he's played it more than I have and seemed to enjoy it more.

Heroes Wanted is very much about messing with the other players.

I really, really like the central mechanic of Heroes Wanted -- how cards are both actions and blocks and the interesting choices about when to rest and how to make interesting combinations. There are also interesting choices about whether to go for your own points or interupt what other people are doing.

The theme of the game feels like it's going to be a silly, light game. It's not. It's sort of medium weight, with a lot of things going on and a fair number of bits, but still dressed up in B-movie, D-list superhero camp.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Spiff wrote:
@Trajector - Dragoon looks interesting, but I'm a little confused by the talk in the reviews of how gorgeous everything is.  For what I can see of the pix, the colors are all some combination of washed out white, orange, red, and teal.  The components look like something you'd see in a game from the 1950s.  I must be missing something.

I can see what you mean about the colors. The comments probably come from:

1. The fact that most of the pieces on the board are solid cast metal, with neat shapes. I love the underbite-y, hunched-shoulder standing dragons.
2. The graphic design on the cards, which you do spend a long time looking at, is excellent. The pictures are sort of minimalist two-tone depictions of dragons doing various active things.

Fortunately, I think the gameplay and theme are a good fit for what you want, if you can deal with (or paint over!) the colors.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

tyleradiaz wrote:

Mm...not going: to lie, it almost sounds like you want to play lords of waterdeep? Mechanically it's a worker placement game with a handful of standard actions, and players can build buildings to get access to more actions. Thematically, you're all various dukes and nobles and such in a dnd city, and you're gathering rogues and priests and warriors and such to send them on quests. Each quest requires specific character combinations to complete for points.

Lords of Waterdeep sounds perfect, except for it not being about superheroes.  Maybe I can custom mod it.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Oooh!  Tales of Arabian Nights!

Admittedly, Arabian Nights is less of a board game and more of a junior RPG with a board.  You wander around the map, have various encounters, choose your reaction to the lonely prince, mad enchanteress, or burning house that you've encountered, and then find out what happened.  There is basically no strategy envolved as predicting the results of your actions is mostly impossible, but the flavor is great and while it shouldn't be brought out too often, it is definately a lot of fun.  The pieces are decorated cardboard cutouts on stands, which isn't amazing, but the art on them is pretty good.  And it's a lot of fun encouring the House of 100 Closets, or visiting the Rainbow Lake.

There's very little player interaction, except for reading to each other from the "Book of Tales" where the stories are found, so there is very little opportunity to "screw your neighbor".  But some of the statuses, like crazy or ensourcelled give other people control over your actions, which depending on your friends means you'll wander off into the far corners of the world, or try and court every sad prince, crazy princess, and crafty vizier you encounter.  But since it's all random, forcing you to do stupid things is usually more entertaining than it is harmful.

Arabian Nights is very much a "it's good if you like it" sort of game.  If you come into it with false expectations you will probably hate it, but if don't mind letting chance take control of your fate you will have a grand time.

Blossercubbles
Blossercubbles's picture

While not a popular game by any means, I enjoyed my time with Heroes Incorporated. When I first got it, I wasn't really into it, but as I've gotten older and played more and more games, I find myself pining more for cleaner, more euro-y destinctions in my games. Sometimes. Either way, I think Heroes Incorpated got shafted a bit by the public. It's a neat take on super hero gameplay. By all descriptions, the game of Heroes Incorporated sounds boring, but in actual play it's not!

You get two supers (of original design) on your team and you're basically trying to get more media attention than your rivals to get the funding needed to become official Super Heroes for Whatever Town (I can't remember the name of the city. It's generic)! Actions are simple, vary slightly based on your hero selection, such as the stealthy tech guy comes with an added gagdet ability, or the chance to make clones with clone guy, or fly with fire lady, etc. I'm a bit rusty. It's been almost a decade. Anyway, totally worth checking out, at least. As a bonus, it's incredibly cheap to pick up. No miniatures, just cardboard standees. The SUPER expansion is also a keen addition. Probably necessary, actually. The only take-that is playing Super Villains on other player's encounters, and even then, it's not so much to screw anyone, as if they fail they'll gain a token to make a further turn better for themselves, but they are currently delayed an action.

That said, I've enjoyed Heroes Wanted, and the silly set-up belies the more concentrated game play. What's keen there is the crazy variety, with each scenario even having it's own board! I've only played two separate scenarios, each a few times, and it's mostly a blast. True. Not necessarily what you're looking for.

I fall up the stairs.

"Right, Left, Right, Left! Chu! Chu! Chu!

ax0r
Playtester

If you'd ask this question a couple of weeks ago, I might have recommended checking out the kickstarter for Sol: Last Days of a Star.

It's a strategy game about harvesting energy from the sun before it goes supernova. Beautiful pieces and board artwork. Simple almost-abstract ruleset but deep mechanics and player interaction, with a customizable level of take-that. A couple of unique ideas that make it stand out from a lot of other games.

Obviously not produced yet. The makers don't currently have any fixed plans for retail (maybe >G want to talk to them down the road?), so maybe it'll never have a wider release. If it sounds interesting, I'm sure you could talk to the creators about getting in a late pledge - nothing has gone to print yet.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Sol does sound cool! I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Exoplanets looks like a very strong contender for the type of game I'm looking for.  Simple core rules but lots of interesting choices.  Backed.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

It's very visually striking, as well. It makes me think of The Little Prince, despite not really having the same aesthetic.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

ViolentSilence

The Bloody Inn fits some of the criteria - the theme is more macabre than geeky, and the components are pretty much cards, but the gameplay is pretty simple, whilst offering a lot of choices (as the cards may have multiple uses). Somewhat unbelievably, it's inspired by real events!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I was talking up Dragoon earlier...It looks like they are getting ready to do new orders for GenCon. They even have new colors for you, Spiff!

https://www.twitter.com/playdragoon/status/755827246233858048

Honestly, I'm thinking of getting the new edition in addition to my PAX copy because my painted-metal pieces are all chipping and that metal plating looks sweet.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Sorry to necro this thread, but I've recently come to realize that the game I wanted to play is extremely similar to the 2006 Marvel Heroes boardgame which is sadly out of print.  The game has teams of superheroes deploying throughout the city to solve headlines (quests) while fighting villains and ultimately coming up against their team's archvillain nemesis.  Each player plays their own team of heroes while also playing the archnemesis of one of the other player's team of heroes, which sounds like a fun way to keep everyone involved in the action.  If this game existed using the SotM IP, I'd buy it.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

To echo others, Heroes Wanted is a pretty good fit for your demands, it's a superhero board game with hand management elements where you have all (bar one) of the cards availible to you from the start.  These are used to take actions and to defend, you recover them with a rest action.

In theory the team works together to take down a supervillain, in practice each person is playing for fame (points), 4 of which are availible for knocking out other heroes.  So you can choose to take down a minion or some health off the villain, but doing so could leave you vunerable to being stabbed in the back by the hero next to yours.

The best part, with the randomized heroes and villains, even the same scenario can feel different each time.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I flag you as spam!

Or rather I hope an admin sees this and deletes AnnaGreen's post.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

I flag you as spam!

Or rather I hope an admin sees this and deletes AnnaGreen's post.

Done!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

And now please rise as we sing the Anthem of the Flag of Spam.

Bunston
Bunston's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

And now please rise as we sing the Anthem of the Flag of Spam.

spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam SPAMITYYYY SPAAAAAAM OH SPAMITYYYY SPAAAAAAAM

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Bloody Vikings...

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)