The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Thanks for _not_ making it a CCG

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Thanks for _not_ making it a CCG

I had a thought earlier today and wanted to share: I'm really glad Sentinels of the Multiverse is not a collectable card game. I think allowing us to enjoy the universe, creating interesting and impactful flavor while providing enough mechanics and capabilities to ensure many unique and enjoyable games was a much better way to go.

It would have been easy to make the leap to a CCG as another money-making opportunity, but the fact that the game can be expanded just by expanding the multiverse will hopefully help keep you in business.

And maybe one day we'll even see actual comics.  8)

Many thanks!  :D

Rabit

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I love it for this reason, too. I always enjoy playing card games, but I just can't afford the level of investment that CCGs require.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I complete agree, it's the one reason I was never able to get into Magic of the Gathering is because it would cost way too much money to actually get a good deck of cards that can actually do some damage on opposing players, money I surely don't have. There is also the fact that Sentinels of the Multiverse is a cooperative game which doesn't have any bad blood when someone beats another, since everyone either wins or loses together.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

We think that's one of the best features too!  All of us at Greater Than Games have played various CCGs, but we all stopped playing them after the cost became unsustainable.  When making the game, our primary goal was to create a game that we really wanted to play.  Thus, no CCGs (because we're cheap), and a cooperative game where no one has to run the villain (because we always get roped into being the GM :) )

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

meakatommy

Just wanted to throw in my thanks as well. It not being a CCG definitely helped sell me on it.

Poop can wait, Time Crisis is now!